jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are your local urban legends?

1. stephaniedas profile image90
    stephaniedasposted 6 years ago

What are your local urban legends?

Where I'm from, Maryland, U.S., we have an urban legend about the goat-man, related to a guy who used to dress up like a rabbit and run around with an axe in the 70s (really!). What are some local urban legends from where you're from?

2. arksys profile image91
    arksysposted 6 years ago

the one we had was sightings of a witch ... various stories involved her and her distinct feature was that her feet were pointing backwards. -Karachi, Pakistan.

3. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 6 years ago

I used to live in Maryland, but must've left after that legend started.

No such "legends" around my part of Cebu, Philippines, at least that I understand (and I'm still learning the local language -- Cebuano).

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 6 years ago

When I was growing up in a small town in Arkansas, a lady used to roam the streets aimlessly from dawn to dusk. If I ever learned her full name, I've long forgotten it, but she was called "Walkin' Sally". The tale went that her son was killed in WWII and that she roamed the streets looking for him. This lady obviously was mentally disburbed, but she was deemed harmless, and she was in no danger in this small town, so her walks went on until she died. After I grew up and studied folklore in college, I learned that this was a common urban legend. Either there were many towns where women walked to find their lost loved ones, or nobody really knew why Sally walked.

working