jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why do we judge Islam so negatively?

1. LailaK profile image78
    LailaKposted 6 years ago

Why do we judge Islam so negatively?

Hey everyone,
    I have read so many commentaries and articles against Islam as a religion. Now, I know that many of us suffered because of terrorist acts done by Al Qaida, but why do we judge a whole religion based on just a group of people. Besides, just to say, my Muslim friend told me that Islam doesn't in any way encourage terrorism and that Jihad is only self defense and that all these terrorists who claim they are Muslims aren't actually following the religion. So, why do we judge Muslims and Islam so crudely?

2. Bbudoyono profile image60
    Bbudoyonoposted 6 years ago

People's opinion are highly infuenced by negative news.  Islam is different from Muslim.  Islam as a religion is good.  Only a minority of muslim who become terrorist.

3. docbruin profile image82
    docbruinposted 6 years ago

September 11 attacks.  Suicide bombings. Terrorist plots.  Be-headings.  Beating, raping, and stoning of women. Jihad that is not in self-defense.  Sharia law.  Violent intolerance of other religions or "infidels".   Just to name a few.

These are items in the news.  The fanatics of any group get the attention.  I think many are waiting to see when, and if, the "non-fanatics" will speak up.

4. Attikos profile image78
    Attikosposted 6 years ago

Probably because almost all the violent aggression against the west comes from Islam. It may not be fair to conclude it's due to Islam, but calling it self defense doesn't change the perception that's the source. Stop the violence, and the perception will change itself. Fail to, and it will only deepen.

1. Liaqat Qazi profile image58
      Liaqat Qaziposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Violence against innocent westerners is against the teachings of Islam and is to be condemned. But all this violence would automatically end if oppression and persecution ends in Iraq, Afghanistan and Palestine.

5. arksys profile image92
    arksysposted 6 years ago

your muslim friend is correct in saying Jihad is only required when Islam is under threat. there are many levels of jihad, one of the lowest levels is fighting ... the greatest jihad is the conquest of oneself... controlling youself in many different ways.

6. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 6 years ago

Due to the bad elements in Islam and more importantly due to the bad press they get.

They need a good leadership who can counter the bad press they are getting - but unfortunately they dont have a credible, moderate leader who can take on the radicals as well as the press.

Its all about PR  .....