Is it easy for you to let things go?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (18 posts)
  1. plinka profile image52
    plinkaposted 12 years ago

Is it easy for you to let things go?

Is it possible to learn the "take it easy" attitude? Can you change your personality?

2. edhan profile image37
    edhanposted 12 years ago

If you have seen through life, it will come easily to let go. Do not take things too seriously unless it will vital. Some things are not supposed to be taken seriously while others do.

You have to judge for yourself what are the things you should relax while serious attention are needed for others.

I do believe you will have six sense when time is needed to make critical decision. Meantime, try to take it easy and let go whenever you can.

3. profile image0
    MP50posted 12 years ago

hello Plinka,

The take it easy attitude is the best attitude to have,

The only person you hurt by mulling it over or holding a grudge is yourself,

Rise above everything thrown at you not matter how difficult it seems,

The goal in life is self improvement, so take it easy and forgive and forget,

When you adopt this attitude you personality will change naturally

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards

MP50.

4. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 12 years ago

No. It's not easy to let things go, at least most of the time.

I have gotten better at it. And there have been instances in the past when letting go was entirely effortless, but these have been rare, so far.

I keep practicing letting go. I let a great many physical things of property go when I moved to the Philippines to be with the love of my life. That was 4.5 years ago and I haven't hungered to go back. I occasionally hunger for some of the food I used to have, but most of it was killing me. American food industry (+FDA, AMA, American Cancer Society, and others) have betrayed us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnaBG177VIw

Asking them to let go of their greed would be difficult, indeed. But the day is fast approaching when it will be ripped from them without their consent. All we can do in the meantime is to help each other overcome some of the damage that has been done.

Change my personality? I've spent a lifetime doing that. It hasn't stopped changing. Studying multiple religions has helped. Scientology counseling has also helped. Reading the Bible continues to help.

We are each spiritual immortals, if we are at least partially awake. It is our duty to awaken fully. Too many, though, are vile mortals who reject their divine true selves within. All they look forward to are the greedy fruit of physical existence, including ego--the source of all evil. (Yep, selfishness is behind every evil act perpetrated. Think about it.)

Forgiveness

Perhaps the most striking example of letting go I've ever experienced occurred along with the most striking miracle in my life. Six times, other drivers in rush-hour traffic on Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles (1977) assaulted me and my car. And yet, as soon as I realized that I was 100% responsible, the forgiveness was so complete that all attachment to those assaults was forgotten and forgiven. In fact, it took me 33 years to realize that the first people to move out of my way during that miracle were the very ones who helped me realize that miracle.

I suspect that very few people have ever actually forgiven. Too many continue to complain about the hurt and the resentment they continue to suffer.

Only by examining the elements of attachment can one truly find a way to let go. Know the truth and you will be set free. Anything less than truth and the problem (attachment) will persist.

5. ambassadornchains profile image59
    ambassadornchainsposted 12 years ago

it is possible to change your personality...but just be careful you aren't changing who YOU are.  Change is good...we are all constantly changing...but change is good when we are improving flaws, not when we're trying to change ourselves to fit into a box.  Be yourself...

As far as changing to learn to let things go?  It is definitely possible, but depending on your situation, it may be more or less difficult.  This is definitely a good kind of change and will improve your relationships in every area of life.  I'm not sure of the situation...There are people who can't let things go and hold a grudge for every little thing anytime they FEEL as thought someone has wronged them or hurt them...even the smallest things...and it seems like something is always going wrong in their life or they are always mad at someone for something they did.  There are people who are holding a long-time grudge and can't let something go that was in your past that effects your current life - self-esteem, stability, relationships, trust, anxiety, fear, etc.  Or...you might be both. 

Learn to appreciate the little things in life and seek satisfaction, not from others, but from yourself, from everything surrounding you - nature, beauty, an amazing sunset, etc.  Build up your OWN confidence and do not rely on yourself...I'm not sure of your religious views, but if you follow Christ, seek your joy and strength through Him - through everything He has given, everything He is and will be!

There is no reason to live your life, allowing OTHERS to control your emotions and the outcome of your day.  Yes...stuff happens everyday, you can't change that.  You CAN change how you respond to the situation and that is how you can slowly, step by step ease into that "take it easy" attitude!!  Realize, "There are almost 7 billion people in the world, so I'm not going to let a few people put me down!  I am better and stronger than that." 

You deserve the best.  Never settle for less.  Always seek to accomplish your heart's desire and do not let anyone or anything weigh you down and keep you from that!! smile

I hope this helps!

6. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 12 years ago

it depends on what happened. i rarely become stressed over anything but i'm not one to forget if you wrong me. i believe revenge is the best answer to someone who messes with your life or the life of people you care for. i never forget .

7. NorthEast Timber profile image61
    NorthEast Timberposted 12 years ago

Yes and yes.  Learning an attitude is like learning anything else.  Practice, practice, practice.  You have to make a conscious effort to react a certain way.  If your in an abusive situation you learn to not react to certain things that will anger your abuser.  Any job you hold you may have to change how you react to customers. 

Once you learn to change your reactions, your attitude will change with it.  It always really upsets me to see someone holding on to the past.  Why waste what precious little time we have here on earth over things that are usually out of our control.  You'll drive yourself crazy mulling over everything. 

Even really bad things need to be left behind.  Our job is to triumph over our past, not wallow in it.

Once you get to a more "take it easy" attitude you'll wonder why you waited so long.

8. plinka profile image52
    plinkaposted 12 years ago

Hi, thank all of you for sharing your experiences, thoughts and wise pieces of advice. I've learnt a lot from them. I especially like the approach: changing the reactions to be able to change the attitude. Take care! :-)

9. profile image0
    stessilyposted 12 years ago

Just about anything is possible. From my own experience I treasure the ability to release and to be open to every moment's possibilities. I have seen the miracle of transformation all around me, not just in myself.

10. Cresentmoon2007 profile image64
    Cresentmoon2007posted 12 years ago

No, not easy at all. I've struggled with letting things go most of my life. I think that it is possible to learn the "take it  easy" attitude. My mom has that attitude. But I also believe that it is very difficult to learn and not as easy as some people may say.

As for changing your personality I don't think that's ever necessary. You are who you are. Though I think you can improve personalities but to take a big change, no I don't think that's needed or even possible.

11. tosha11 profile image61
    tosha11posted 12 years ago

When I was young I could never let anything go. I remember holding grudges for the smallest things. Until, one day I got a dose of my own medicine and a life lesson. I had made a mistake and was truley sorry for it. I was never forgiven however. From that day it hit me that you have to forgive to also be forgiven. If you never forgive then when you mess up I belive you have no right to be forgiven. So point is everyone messes up, its our mistakes that make us wiser and better human beings. So, try not to hold a grudge.

12. profile image0
    lavender3957posted 12 years ago

It is easy for me to let things go, but it is not easy for me to forget. I tend to keep things inside of my memory and when something should happen that relates back to the problem, I remember and things are again said and done.
    If is relates to letting materialistic things go or people. I can let the materialistic thing so no problem. Letting the people go I love thru death or other situations are very hard.

13. thumbi7 profile image60
    thumbi7posted 12 years ago

It may not be very easy to let things go. Because, there will be repeated thoughts, and brooding over about the particular incident. But this brroding over may interfere with our own routine life and immediate plans, sometimes for days. It is always better if we can bring back the focus to more important things in life. Because life is short. Let's enjoy it.

14. thumbi7 profile image60
    thumbi7posted 12 years ago

Letting go is a difficult for an ordinary human being. If we can let go of the negative emotions in life, we can see that our mind becomes very light and it becomes easy to let go the feelings.Concentrating on the mind and breath in solitude will help us in letting go of the emotions. read more

15. profile image49
    Chosenwomanposted 12 years ago

It depends on what it might be some thing are very easy to let go, but one must have the attitude of doing what is best not always what is right. Often times for me if something is not beneficial for me meaning if it's not going to help my growth in knowledge then I have to let it go and move on. Often times we hold on to things when we need to let go of it. Nothing comes into our lives to stay forever, our friends are only here for a short period, some people come to teach us something new some come to show us new things and others come to show us what we have been doing wrong.

Good question

16. ivantsoft profile image60
    ivantsoftposted 12 years ago

well, sometimes I need to gather all my strengths to take it easy

17. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Maybe consciously you can let things go but actually letting things go deep down inside of you is not really possible unless something wonderful happens. People should understand themselves and what they really feel and not what positive thinking tells them they should be feeling. Positive thinking can be like burying your head in the sand. The fact is that when we are traumatized by something it takes time to recover from it and people need encouragement and not some psycho babble positive thinking manipulation. People need good things to happen to them and nice people around them who help them heal. Everyone needs a miracle.

18. debbie roberts profile image72
    debbie robertsposted 12 years ago

If you hold grudges or can't let things go then there's a chance that you could miss out on some thing valuable today. I've found as I've got older the things I've learned what is important to me and holding grudges doesn't make me feel good, so what is the benefit in it? If you can't change it let it go. I find it easy to let things go, but in saying that I agree with lavender3957 in saying, I too won't forget I just won't dwell on things. Life really is too short.
    I think it is possible for some people to learn a more laid back approach, but for others it's more difficult to do. We are all different, after all.
    Learning to not hold grudges isn't about changing your personality, it's more to do with learning to let things that you can't change go.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)