jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Why do we call some religions "mythologies"?

1. JosieLee profile image78
    JosieLeeposted 6 years ago

Why do we call some religions "mythologies"?

Why do we call some religions “mythologies” (ancient Greek, Norse, Egyptian, etc.) and others religions? Is this fair? What does this show about how relevant certain ideas are as society progresses?

2. Jackie Lynnley profile image88
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 6 years ago

I believe these are ones after gods of the stars or plants and really sort of cartoonish. Some had gods of everything...at one time! The tall tales they have to go with them too! I am certainly glad we can see it as myths. All we need is more cans of worms.

3. catchpennyfashion profile image60
    catchpennyfashionposted 6 years ago

I guess they call them mythologies because they are no longer relevant. No one believes in them anymore and a religion is only as strong as it's fallowers. If no one believes in something it's not seen as a truth or a fact.

4. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 6 years ago

I think it is because it makes people who do this feel morally superior to demote the religions of others as "mythology".

5. hawkdad73 profile image68
    hawkdad73posted 6 years ago

All religion is supported by mythology or legend.  That is what their relative texts are. 

I am reading "Don't Know Much About Mythology" by Davis, they go through all religions and societies based on religion and the common thread of all the major mythologies, legends, religions....good, in depth read.

6. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Hypocrisy, they are all mythologies.

working