jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why do people of religion get so angry when I say I don't support particular bel

1. DIMIR profile image82
    DIMIRposted 6 years ago

Why do people of religion get so angry when I say I don't support particular belief systems?

It's not that I am against anything or anyone, I just don't find any appealing enough to devote myself to (yet).  I don't want anger, I just want an idea of the feelings, you know?

2. Allen Williams profile image83
    Allen Williamsposted 6 years ago

Many people claim to be tolerant and they claim to respect what other people want to believe but I have found that religious people don't really follow what they preach.  As soon as you do not agree with their point of view then you are the sinner, the anti-Christ, or the devil, etc.  They really are not open to hearing any other opinion that contradicts their view on religion.  I try to stay out of religious conversations for that reason.  I have my own beliefs and I refuse to debate them with anyone.  What ever you believe in, or what ever answers you are searching for to satisfy your own spiritual views are your beliefs and something that you should hold for your own sole searching, and just forget about what others think.  I found that to be more beneficial to my own search for answers.  I read, I listen to others, and I decide for myself what to believe and I try hard not to discuss my beliefs just for the reason you brought up in your question.

3. MickS profile image70
    MickSposted 6 years ago

Because generally they suffer from the arrogance of 'I am right, you are wrong' syndrome, by becoming angry it 'obviously proves' that their beliefs are true

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

I can't say what the reason is for sure, but I've always assumed it is one of two things (or both combined). The first is that, to them, the evidence is so overwhelming that it is shocking someone could fail to see it. In this instance, they just aren't taking time to consider your point of view, or they don't want to. The second reason is because they might interpret your lack of faith (or religious association) as a direct insult to their religion. So, for example, I'm an atheist, and I imagine that telling someone that sometimes might come out differently. They might immediately think; atheists don't believe in god, therefore he is telling me that I'm stupid for believing in god. So, saying I'm an atheist is heard as "you're stupid for believing in god". I never said that, nor would I, but I think that happens a lot. They feel threatened by you and must prove you wrong, or crush you, in order to validate their own system of beliefs. Not all religious people act this way (and some non-religious people DO act this way) but that's just my assumptions based on what I've seen.

working