jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What barriers would hinder the following: Do unto others, as you have them do un

1. profile image56
    R. J. Lefebvreposted 6 years ago

What barriers would hinder the following: Do unto others, as you have them do unto you?

2. zzron profile image54
    zzronposted 6 years ago

There are no barriers, the statement is self-explanatory.  Treat other people the way you want them to treat you.  If you wouldn't want someone to treat you bad then don't treat them bad.

3. msorensson profile image72
    msorenssonposted 6 years ago

A barrier is set up by defining boundaries. As long as there are boundaries, there is ownership and an inherent desire to protect that which is inside a boundary.

There was a film, I am sorry I could not remember the title, but it had an intelligent computer running the nuclear weapons. It was all about the computer sensing that the exercise was real and so it was getting ready to fire the real weapons. World War III, except no one would be left because many countries have nuclear weapons.

Imagine if you have to return insult for insult, a punch for a punch..You would end up in a continuous game until it elevates to a point where you annihilate each other.

4. WretchedRapture profile image74
    WretchedRaptureposted 6 years ago

This statement is ideal. Just as zzron explains, it simply means that if you wouldn't want someone to treat you badly then you shouldn't treat them badly either. Unfortunately, not everyone lives by the same "moral standards", for lack of a better term. This is where a barrier arises, preventing this statement from truly having the impact on the world that it deserves to have.

5. eye say profile image81
    eye sayposted 6 years ago

If we model the behaviour we are exposed to "doing unto others as we'd have them do unto us" becomes a real challenge, but it can be changed ... read more

6. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I 'get' your question.............

You will treat me, in the way that YOU want to be treated.

But, I do not want to be treated this way!

Making it simple..............if my hubby is sick, he wants me at his bedside, beck and call....................that is how he wants to be treated......

I want a waste basket, a jug of water, either to drink, or rinse my mouth, and to be left alone.    Do my chores for me, until I am well again.

Two different things..........................do unto others.............my hubby would feel abandoned,   I want my privacy when being sick.

It could apply to driving, to waiting lines, to grocery shopping................we do not all want the same kind of service or treatment........enter, choices, and preferances.

Now, we have a problem...........

7. profile image50
    michelegoldsteinposted 6 years ago

I interpret this question as meaning "Why wouldn't people follow the Golden Rule?" With that, my answers are ego (competition, superiority, winning), intolerance, jealousy, envy, greed, unresolved emotional issues, and use of the sencondary emotion anger in place of the originating and unexamined emotional issues of fear, pain and/or frustration.