How do ghosts and believing in ghosts fit into the Christian faith?

1. Vanessa Anderson profile image60
    Vanessa Andersonposted 6 years ago

How do ghosts and believing in ghosts fit into the Christian faith?

I am a Christian and I believe in Heaven and Hell.  I've always believed that when one died, they went to one or the other.  Now, after some personal experiences, I believe in ghosts.  So I'm torn now...

2. Rock_nj profile image93
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Ghosts are probably spirits that for some reason have not been able to move on from this life to the afterlife.  There are stories that once a building is cleansed or a ghost is guided to the afterlife by a medium, the hauntings stop.

3. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 6 years ago

You know, Vanessa, that is a good question. I have been a born-again Christian for over 30 years now, and the whole "ghost" issue is perplexing.

I do not think that ghosts are the spirits of people who have been trapped here and cannot move on. I believe when a person dies, anymore, that they go immediately to judgment.

So, I think ghosts can only be one of two things. Either they are heavenly spirits or demonic spirits. Since heavenly angels do not parade around as your great grandfather in an old attic and since they do not cause fear in people unnecessarily, then they must be demons who manifest themselves as the dearly departed to cast the illusion that spirits can survive death and judgment.