Judas - A True Saint?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Destiny and Fate
    Judas of the apostles... the man that gave the identity of Christ to the Romans for exchange of silver and crucifixion. Was he evil or was it his destiny? There stood a dark shadow over the apostles. Christ identified that one amongst his deciples would betray him. It turned out to be Judas, Christ's favourite amongst his men. Jesus knew the last supper would be just that. He performed a symbolic representation as a seed sown to his life.. taking of the bread to mean his body and the drinking of the wine for his blood. Take me into yourself was the message here. Christ always taught through example and this was a way to teach us all. Even the death and re-birth of Christ in the resurrection might be seen as symbolic of reincarnation, perhaps? Christ knew what the example of his suffering would mean to people, even 2000 years hence. He bared the knowledge of his personal destiny and devine intervention made it happen - so did Judas, I believe. If it wasn't for Judas, the cycle may not have been completed. Judas was the catalyst to enable what was meant to be. Although tormented through the act of 'grassing' to the enemy, Judas gave Christ the opportunity to fulfill his destiny.... it had to be ... and through good intentions the crucifixion of one man was a lesson taught to many. Judas was so torchured by what he had to do, he committed suicide. He sacrificed the only man he truly loved! How tormented he must have felt! Sacrifice is the greatest gift a person can give to another and this is the lesson here - Judas knew this only too well! Only special people sacrifice their lives so as others can live, learn, develop and be free! He knew he would be the bad guy in the story. He knew he would be deemed as evil in his act, but his intention was good. We read of the accounts of the other deciples in their chapters and verse in the bible.... but is this not an account of how other's perceive the story? How can anyone know what was 'true' unless you are the person who commits the act and knows what lies in the heart? One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. The political and religious dynamics during that time put everyone, including the Roman's into a difficult position, there was no real choice but to crucify Christ. If it wasn't for Judas, Chris may not have fulfilled his destiny. The timing was as it should have been. He would never had shown the world that you suffer, learn, die and ressurect but for Judas. Judas made it possible. A much misunderstood scape-goat who copped the bad press because no one really 'got it' - the role of Judas in the grand scheme of things. It is with this hypothesis that I advocate Judas a Saint, a man who was torn apart at the destiny he had to follow. As the action, I believe, was with good intent, I suggest that if you believe in a Kingdom of Heaven, then you will find Judas at the right hand side of Christ!

2. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

You're so dramatic !
    How would you know what Judas felt ? He was the scapegoat.
    I should say he commited suicide when he realised Jesus treason.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it is nice to have a bit of drama, to pep up a debate, don't you think?  Quite right, I don't know what Judas felt.  I don't know how you feel, either.  No one does, only you. We can only imagine by putting ourselves in his shoes, so to speak.  He was, though, as stated by both of us... the scapegoat...

'A much misunderstood scape-goat who copped the bad press because no one really 'got it'

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I don't know either. I'm just giving my opinion. Why you believers are so touchy when an atheist speaks his mind off ? yikes I wonder ....

1. profile image0

Please don't get me wrong.  I value your opinion x

cool

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

You will not be paid 30 pieces of silver by attempting to draw traffic from other hubbers to your hubs this way! sad
    (They are not the greatest clickers - whether religious or not!)

Someone once stated; "Life is for living" - as such you create your own destiny and therefore fate.  It has nothing to do with anything else beyond your own actions in the life that you live! hmm

1. profile image0

Sorry, you got the impression of this sad  It is just a subject that I feel passionate about and would like a response, it isn't about money.  I'm not here for the money.  The intention of hubbing, for me, is about expressing myself and feeling helpful to others.  I hope I might learn a few things x

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Being Passionate about things is great.... Perhaps the villian in your post was also passionate about the part that he played? hmm Did you consider that point? hmm

1. profile image0

So, who do you think was the villain in this story?

4. profile image0
    subwaysadieposted 14 years ago

You could read my hub called Judas if you'd like another opinion like yours.

1. profile image0

I am sorry, my friend, your page wont load.  Perhaps you could copy and paste it here - would love to read it x

5. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

I love Judas. I bet he is the real "christ". big_smile

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Judas?

A true saint?

I highly doubt it.

He was an unintelligent, uneducated, human. Who didn't know anything of his own existence, until he met Jesus Christ.

And, even then, he never understood Jesus' message. And, that was because he was uneducated.

If you think you know what Jesus Christ's message was? Please feel free to weigh in.

I'm not wanting to change your belief, because that is not my intention.

My intention is to get you to see with your own eyes, the context of Jesus Christ's word and the time he lived, so you can have a better understanding. The time he lived, and what humankind was going through, changes Jesus Christ's message to be unbelievebly astounding.

Yes, I expect you to get defensive, but don't be.

You have your understanding, by what you've learned. I respect that, but it is also my understanding that what you've learned, because of where you learned it, not how you learned, has lead you to believe something that is untrue.

1. profile image0

But Jesus loved him and favoured him.  If he was soooo 'not' special, why was he one of the chosen followers?  Why was he soooo adored?  Surely, his story has taught many people?

7. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

When you start believing in predestination it's time to put out the lights.

1. profile image0

Why? x

1. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because it reduces us to pawns in someone else's game. Fortunately, there are sound scientific reasons for rejecting predestination.

Predestination would turn our lives meaningless.

1. profile image0

Like the story. P.S. I love Johnathon Livingstone's 'seagull'.  Great to have a reminder there.

2. profile image0

I get this.. but what if there is a path mapped out, even many, and we have the free will to choose. Therefore, each path chosen, leads to a different experience but the same outcome?  What if, therefore, that outcome was to completed learning experience?  Just a thought...

2. Make  Money profile image68
      Make Moneyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is where Agnostics and most Christians see eye to eye.  I wouldn't have replied to this thread other than your post Paraglider. smile

Thanks Mike. Calvin has a lot to answer for, especially in and around the Scottish Hebrides!

1. Make  Money profile image68

You got that right.  Paraglider you've probably been to Glasgow eh?  Do you ever remember a church called St. Mongo's there?  I've read that it is the only Catholic church in Scotland that survived Knox's Calvinist torch.

St Mungo is the patron saint of Glasgow. I know the church quite well and have been in it a couple of times, though not for years.

1. Make  Money profile image68

Cool.  My brother used to be a scrapper.  He was given the nickname of Mongo from that show Blazing Saddles by Mel Brooks, you know with that big guy called Mongo that dropped the horse with one punch.  I found the skit here.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_RKPGS2vwM

Yeah right it's called St. Mungo's not Mongo's.  Well anyway my brother got a laugh when I told him about St. Mungo and St. Mungo's church in Glasgow. smile

8. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

I have never considered Judas as being a saint any more or less than the other disciples. Judas has gotten a bum rap for doing what he did. It was destined that someone to do what he did. I think that Jesus instructed Judas to do it and he did. Jesus did say to Judas to go now and "do what you MUST do". Was that a command? Doesn't sound like he had much choice.

1. profile image0

I cant help think this too x

9. Jerami profile image59

Too many believers consider the writings of the disciples as being "THE WORD OF GOD"!  They were just people that wrote letters to each other and to different groups of believers. Sometimes they were jealous of each other. They wrote from their own perspectives concerning what they learned from Jesus.
         Their understanding was not infallible.
         We also must remember that the church, that the Roman Empire constructed, picked and chose which writings were accepted into the canon and which ones were not.
         I am sure that there were a few that had they been accepted would have shed light on more than a few misconceptions. In Daniel 12:4, Daniel was told to put a seal on this prophesy,  when Jesus opened this seal(Rev.6:12, 6th)  prophesy was fulfilled. I would imagine that there were other prophets that were told to seal up a prophesy. They however were not included in the canon.  I believe ?

1. profile image0

Don't you think that all written accounts are only as good a the person that is writing them?  We all live in our own reality, afterall.  I think this rule can even be applied to historical perspectives - guess how things would look different if Hitler won the war!  He intended to eradicate old writings and rewrite history!

Its a strange thought... but I cant help thinking that, maybe, we are all living a lie and nothing is really true at all!

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where there is smoke there is fire.  Underneath all of these interpretations is a truth. If we are looking for truth then we MUST uninterpreted every interpretation that we have been taught.  I have been doing that for over 10 years and am constantly amazed with what I thought I knew but didn't

1. profile image0

You know, I have found that as well!  I find myself being very 'non committal' in opinions... i find I am 'always waiting to see'.  I am finding myself never taking anything for granted.  As a result, I don't 'look forward'.  I do 'plan' though, but always with the knowledge not to have an expectation.  I am living my life, like a bamboo - swaying with the wind and making changes when the conditions dictate.  What I can say on truth, my attitude is 'this is my truth, always subject to change, tell me yours'

My concept of the story of Judas, therefore, is a concept.  I can not possibly know 'the truth', for this is his truth - that supposing this story happened at all.  As you said, 'where there is smoke', there seems to be a grain of truth in every story/historical perceptive - the difficulties come in peeling back the layers.

1. Jerami profile image59

When I was a child,My grandfather taught me to look for the simple answers before clouding the issue with complicated possibilities. CK the gas before taking the car to the shop etc. Shake the leaves off of it so you can see what the limb looks like. I think that the religious issue all comes down to creation? or evolution? and then what was before that? Why not a combination of both? God said "Let it be" ... bang there it was!!!  and life evolved from there. The sons of God made babies with the daughters of man changing DNA (Missing link). because of my life experiences I choose to believe that a higher "life" form (God,spirit) did appear to Abraham.
            And then man began trying to explain it all.

10. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

There's also scientific indications that predestination in some form IS true, like the way our brains start performing an action before we decide to do something - we "choose" after our brain already revved up and started it.

The account in the Bible sounds to me like Judas was the one given the job to do that nobody wanted to do. I don't think we have enough information to know.

That's not predestination. It's more like instinct.

1. profile image0

Check out another one of my postings....

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/25067#post458908

The question is how many combinations does it take to make 4.  4, therefore is the answer (or destination, or DESTINY), but there are many different ways to arrive there.  All the people that contributed, found a path themselves.  They used free will to arrive at the destiny.

Have I made a good point?

2. Jerami profile image59

We know that DNA has major control over the physical body.  We do not know exactly how much control our conscious mind actually has over our subconscious mind. Chemical balances in the brain makes us do things that we would never conciously decide to do. When it is all said and done
                    Ya just don't know what ya don't know
                    Ya know ???

1. profile image0

I like you!

11. Jerami profile image59

I think that you are onto something about who wins the war writes history and gets to establish what the majority believes as TRUTH. It gets even crazier when we consider that after all is written everyone gets to interpret those facts (??)
        For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction
        For every view there is an equal and opposite view ?
        This is the problem. ONE truth can have 1000 different perceived interpretations, none of which may be truth.

1. profile image0

Hurray!  Absolutely, my friend!

12. profile image0
    Nia Lposted 14 years ago

For Christians: http://hubpages.com/t/dd45e  might provide some answers hopefully.

1. profile image0
      Rick Marlowposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you`re answering all forums with this.how about real answers.not your hub mix of hodgepodge.

13. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

paraglider, that part i wrote about our brains starting an action before we decide to do something isn't about instinct. During experiments, researchers were able to see on their brain images which hand a person was going to move before the person decided which to move. That's nothing to do with instinct. It was an investigation into free will (Libet's experiments long ago and the latest by other researchers on Sept 29, 2009). People are still trying to interpret the findings because they indicate too much of a reliance on physical processes as opposed to making our own free will decisions.

I don't see that this indicates humans are totally prewired for every thought, move, and decision since paying specific attention to which choice we make can change the outcome. It's only when we don't specifically, mindfully live our lives that we run on automatic. That's why so many religions and philosophies encourage (not the right word) mindful living.

1. profile image0

Some good research here, mate x

2. profile image0

The question is how many combinations does it take to make 4.  4, therefore is the answer (or destination, or DESTINY), but there are many different ways to arrive there.  All the people that contributed, found a path themselves.  They used free will to arrive at the destiny.

14. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)