Are you at peace with your past or would you give anything for a "do-over"?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)
  1. onegreenparachute profile image76
    onegreenparachuteposted 6 years ago

Are you at peace with your past or would you give anything for a "do-over"?

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Like most any human being on the planet, there are things in my life I wish I'd done differently.  Duh.

But I would NOT want to see a "do-over" for one powerful reason--which requires a few "by the numbers" entries to explain:

1.  I do like the person I've become as of this day, here and now.  He ain't perfect, but he ain't all that bad, either.

2.  Any change in my past experiences--ANY CHANGE AT ALL--would have sent me down a different path in Life.  Maybe only slightly different in some cases, but I can't know that. 

3.  If my life had worked out differently, I would NOT be precisely who I am today. 

4.  I would not care to lose what I am today.

Thus (summary), the past is the past.  Cowboy up; deal with it.

My message to me.

3. mrshadyside1 profile image74
    mrshadyside1posted 6 years ago

Most people probably have things they wished they had done differently at some point in the past,it's just human nature to make mistakes.My father told me once"Son if you don't screw up from time to time it means your'e not doing anything."
    No one is without imperfections,mistakes made in life are one way we grow and learn.I myself have been less than honest and less than innocent and rather void of empathy and compassion early in my adulthood,and only through the birth of my first child did I return to values and principles that I had been taught growing up.I may not be very proud of some things I've done or how I behaved but I wouldn't go back and change it now for fear that my path might have lead in a direction that didn't include my wonderful wife and children.There is no future in the past so,in my opinion the best we can do is to accept our imperfect human nature and try to learn from our mistakes and strive to be better as we travel the road of life.If we beat ourselves up over the past we will surely be limited on the chances we take and shy away from challenges of the unknown that could enrich our lives or the life of someone else.
    Yet we should not be totally at peace with our past to prevent complacency.Some degree of regret only strengthens the resolve to make change and growth of character.For someone to have never questioned at least some part of their history though,would surely be a sign of denial and limit the ability of intellectual and spiritual growth and wisdom.No human is perfect and every human has the capacity to change and grow.
    This is just my opinion and I am but imperfect so,I could be wrong.

4. Denise Handlon profile image89
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

Would like a do over in some areas-mostly content though.

5. edhan profile image59
    edhanposted 6 years ago

I always believe that what is done is already over. I don't dwell over the past.

Instead I will learn from it and be better than before. Mistakes are meant to be learnt and having that experience helps me to be a better person as not to make the same mistake as well as teaching my kids not to have that mistake.

Life is always a learning process and we should not dwell over things that had already done as nothing can change it (unless we can time travel). Learn it and make yourself a better person with it instead.

6. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

There are a lot of things I would change and do-over if I could with the knowledge I have today.  But frankly I wouldn't want to go back because along with changing some things, you would have to live the painful times again and no thank you on that one.

7. Marturion profile image60
    Marturionposted 6 years ago

Since I've learned more from my mistakes and failures than from my successes, any "do-overs" would make me less intelligent, less prepared, and less capable to handle life's calamities.  So.... No thank you.

8. onegreenparachute profile image76
    onegreenparachuteposted 6 years ago

Excellent answer Mr.!  Thanks for responding.

9. Mala Srivastava profile image61
    Mala Srivastavaposted 6 years ago

I don't regret anything in life. Whatever happens in my life is because of my own actions. I have to accept this fact. Yes, I am at peace with my past.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)