jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it possible for an Atheist to be spiritual?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image97
    Phyllis Doyleposted 6 years ago

Is it possible for an Atheist to be spiritual?

People who adhere to a specific religion have a Supreme Being to rely on for guidance and motivation to grow ever more spiritual. What does an Atheist rely on for acceptance and growth of self? The pansy is a symbol of freethought.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image87
    Titen-Sxullposted 6 years ago

Yes, an atheist can be spiritual. The only thing atheism deals with is a belief in deities or gods. Atheists can still believe in other superstitious things such as

1) Spirits or ghosts
    2) Any after-life not contingent upon a deity
    3) Chi energy or the "soul"

Now personally I don't believe in any of that either. So what do I use to better myself and grow as a person? Knowledge, creativity, reason and empathy.

3. karthikkash profile image90
    karthikkashposted 6 years ago

I don't believe in Christ or Allah or Siva or anyone. I do believe in the higher power which binds the universe together. I do not prefer to call it god. I call it a supreme power. Though I am a born Hindu, I don't follow any religion.

However, I meditate and do yoga. I am spiritual smile

4. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

anyone can be spiritual i guess. i'm an atheist and i'm not the least bit. i rely on myself and the people i care about to live my life. as for growth of self, religion stops that in it's tracks in my opinion.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

I do believe it is possible for an atheist to be spiritual. Buddhism is an atheist religion and I would describe them as being very spiritual. But a lot of that also depends on what your definition of 'spiritual' is. Theists tend to believe in spirituality as ones soul and their direct connection to the souls of others and god. Where as an atheist might view spirituality as one's connection to the universe, being a series of molecules that contributes to an incredible whole.

I'm also still surprised by how few religious people understand where atheists find strength for morality and growth. It's a misconception that some sort of deity is required for us to act civilized. Yet from an atheist point of view, it's confusing that someone who has a great deal of personal strength and morality would, for some reason, give credit to a mythological being, rather than themselves.

6. Billie Pagliolo profile image61
    Billie Paglioloposted 5 years ago

Not believing in an after-life, I am guided and motivated by my desire to leave something meaningful in the world, something that will make another's path smoother, some wisdom I might have acquired through my experiences that would help another, a story that would live on and make someone laugh or move them.  I would feel fulfilled in life if I could leave at least one carefully crafted sentence - a quote like one of the marvelous quotes by Alcott or Neitzche or Gibran that linger in someone's mind or a song lyric like one of Willie Nelson's or Roy Orbinson's that help people cope. That's where I get my motivation, and my motivation drives me to the self growth you speak of, and when I feel I have attained something meaningful, acceptance of myself by me is all I want or need. Whether any of that is spiritual, I don't know.

Closed to reply