Are atheists rebelling against 'bad religion' because God's image has been tarni

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (77 posts)
  1. abdussalaam profile image80
    abdussalaamposted 8 years ago

Are atheists rebelling against 'bad religion' because God's image has been tarnished by the church?

"By believing in God, you have gained something; spirituality. By disbelieving in God, you have lost something; sanity." Abdus Salaam

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12633493_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 8 years ago

No. Atheists don't believe there's a God, no matter how good or bad his image might be. There simply isn't a way to make religion good for an atheist.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
      Kiss andTalesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

True then why are they always saying prove it, when it is answered and attempted they shoot it down quicker then jet missile.
      As an example Many things have purpose
      But say somebody says get rid of all the doctors because of some bad doctors, ?

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Kiss and Tales, you have never ever provided any proof. What you have done, however, is to try to persuade atheists to accept blind faith as proof. And what does this statement about getting rid of doctors have to do with anything? Straw man!

3. Diane Van Hook profile image73
    Diane Van Hookposted 8 years ago

Atheists aren't going to rebel against an entity they don't believe in. You are trying to impose your religious concept on a belief system that doesn't match up with yours.

And what is it that you classify as a "bad religion"? Does that entail any that are excluded from the three majority: Christian, Jewish, or Muslim?

Please don't mistake followers that misconstrue their religion to justify their bigotry.

Continued,  and you got a sickness that only he can diagnose and prescribe medication for, then what,
      Or get rid of all the police, and your home gets broken into, or you have a serial killer
      Released from prison based on getting rid of all Jails.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80
      Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

DVH - you have a point! Nearly half the world practices a non-Abrahamic religion. Some believe in a god, some many gods, some none. Some allow for followers to choose regarding such beliefs. Judging by their countries, all are equally valid.

4. Aime F profile image70
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

I'm not rebelling against anything.  I just don't believe in God.  I think God is a perfectly lovely idea, it's just not something I see as being a reality.  Simple.

5. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 8 years ago

Only an Atheist can say why they are .
    Because there are those who just do not believe in a higher entity,
    When there are those that believe but
    Are really in a mental battle against him.
    So we have many reasons,  a new one I observed was that people may not want to accept the God of scriptures and Scrolls,  but they will accept other deities as god.
    But to answer your question yes religion has done a lot of damage to potential followers of God,
    But the bible assures us not one sheep will be lost.
    So from our standpoint as imperfect humans we can not read hearts but the Father can.

abdussalaamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

:-)

2. Kiss andTales profile image60

Thank you I appreciate you for titling me with the best answer, I also appreciate that you post very good questions , thank you very much Abdus Salaam

6. Guitar Wizard profile image83
    Guitar Wizardposted 8 years ago

First maybe you mean bad people that purport to represent a given religion. Televangelists, ISIS etc. Most everyone "rebels" against this. As for atheists I think the stupider the the representatives of religion are, the more militant certain atheists become.

7. John Colarusso profile image78
    John Colarussoposted 8 years ago

No, we merely don't believe in a diety. People like me go against religion because I want to see its inevitable demise and spread logic, reason, forward thinking, and hopefully see the end to the scientific set backs that religion causes.

8. Austinstar profile image84
    Austinstarposted 8 years ago

Wow! you think that "god" has an IMAGE? What, he/she/it needs to hire a publicity manager now?
    Oh, this is too funny. "Bad Religion" is BAD because it sucks! You can't take a pile of feces and make it smell like roses.
    Burn BOTH the Bible and the Quran! Save us from idiocy.

Yep. Bad religion is why atheists are rebelling against God. But atheists do not realise that Atheism is also much like any other religion with passionate devotees like yourself.

2. John Colarusso profile image78
      John Colarussoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Bad religion has nothing to do with it. I am sure that it does happen, and people have been turned off by the idea of religion, but in the majority of cases atheist just find a lack of evidence.

3. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am an atheist and NO, atheism is NOT a religion! Why in the world would you think that it is? Is disbelief in Unicorns a religion? Then disbelief in a god or gods is not a religion either.

4. John Colarusso profile image78

Just because there is a community of people underneath something that identifiys as it makes it no more a religion than having cancer makes it a religion of cancer Religion: the belief of a god or gods.
      A organized system of beliefs to worship ago

5. profile image52
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

JC: Rm 1:25 "Who chgd the truth about God for a lie, & WORSHIPED and SERVED the "creature" (SELF) more than the "Creator" (GOD)..." Now tell me "self worship" (Facts/Proof=Atheist) is not a group  worshiping themselves & their ability to "rea

9. M. T. Dremer profile image85
    M. T. Dremerposted 8 years ago

Many atheists grow up with a positive view of religion. Whether it's strong family ties, or charitable organizations that operate out of a church. Yet, they are still atheists. Religion used negatively can certainly push people towards atheism, but it's not the only reason they arrive there, and it certainly isn't the reason they stay there.

10. Levi Legion profile image59
    Levi Legionposted 8 years ago

"Rebelling?" No. To rebel against something implies that that something (in this case, religion) has authority over your life. I identify as Agnostic, with the opinion of atheism, and it's more a matter of having weighed the evidence and found religion to be unworthy of my time and effort. That is, the various world religions, including yours, Abdus Salaam, all have their holes and inconsistencies. No religion is 100% true about what it says about itself. Those with logically-inclined minds spot the errors of religion more easily than others I suppose.

Spirituality has many facets, and it's a mistake to think one needs religion to be spiritual. I agree that the "church" (I assume you mean Christian) has done much to discredit itself, as has your own religion of Islam. Neither relgion can pass the tests of logic and reason, and both share many of the same glaring problems.

1. Austinstar profile image84
      Austinstarposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nicely said. When faced with science, religion doesn't hold true. Religionists keep trying to insist that science "prove" their gods, but no matter how much you want to believe in a "heavenly father", it just isn't there to run experiments on.

2. abdussalaam profile image80

I guess we'll never know until we're dead and in our graves. You'll either awake or blissfully sleep unaware. If you awake you'll be asked about your religion, depending on what you say will determine your fate.

3. Levi Legion profile image59
      Levi Legionposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That's entirely a guess, Abdus. You've no more proof than any other religion of what happens after death, if anything. Of course you're free to believe as you will.

4. abdussalaam profile image80

Yes it's a guess whilst weighing up the liklihood and severity of being wrong. If I am wrong and you are right, then, I'll blissfully sleep unaware in my grave. If I am right and you are wrong, then what?

5. Levi Legion profile image59

I'm familiar with Islam and your god, Allah. Speaking frankly, if he IS real, then he's a monster whom I wouldn't want to serve anyway. But considering there's no evidence for his existance, I don't think disbelief in him is risky at all.

6. abdussalaam profile image80

My God and your God is one. Well, if you awake in your Grave and call God a monster, thats brave. Stupid, but brave.

7. Levi Legion profile image59

Just WHO is my God, Abdus? I was once religious until my mind was enlightened by Knowledge and freed from religious chains by Reason. I've no need of mythological stories anymore. Some, like you, have not yet had your mind freed.

8. abdussalaam profile image80

Who is your God? Your God is the same as my God, Levi; for our Lord is one. Tell me about your 'enlightened knowledge' because I too want to become open-minded like thee.

9. Levi Legion profile image59

It's a personal journey, Abdus. If truth isn't the most important thing in your life, you won't find it. From what you've said, you aren't ready or looking. Just go be happy in your religion...maybe one day you'll see what I meant.

10. abdussalaam profile image80

Happiness and contentment is a sign of guidance from God. Depression and sadness is a sign of misguidance from God. Only individuals know their true state.

11. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 8 years ago

" By disbelieving in God, you have lost something; sanity."
    Actually it is the other way around. Believing in imaginary entities suggests a psychotic condition called delusion. Believers have absolutely no evidence for the existence of their Gods except the writings of unknown ancient authors. The same evidence exists for Spiderman.
    And...as an atheist, I do not rebel against this God. I am against ignorance, and if people attempt to insult my intelligence with nonsensical and unprovable claims, then I reject it as the rubbish it is.  I stick with logic.

I do not have to prove the existence of God, although I have tried via a yet to be published article. It's called faith.

2. getitrite profile image71

If I assert that I believe in something, then attack those who do not, then, yes, I do need to produce proof, or else I have no right whatsoever to attack those who disagree. Faith is not proof of anything.Faith is synonymous with willful ignorance

3. Kiss andTales profile image60

The problem is your proof to others may not be what they consider as proof, or accept as proof , so they repeat the same words no matter what you say. Really some do not want proof to be proven wrong that is mostly the case.

4. John Colarusso profile image78

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. This means you need more than just something that constatutes proof to you, you need to provide evidence that is acceptable proof to the masses or in a testable enviornment

5. getitrite profile image71

So let me ask you Kiss and Tales: Do you believe Allah is God, and that the Koran is His holy word? Do you accept the Koran as proof of this? And do you accept that Jesus was not the Messiah? There is "proof" of all of this in the Koran.

6. abdussalaam profile image80

Give me 4hours and I will provide you with proof similar to Friedrich Nietzsche famous 'God is Dead'. But, the proof will be wasted pixels on a computer screen to those that are both arrogant and ignorant.

7. getitrite profile image71

Abdus, That is not true. You will not provide any proof. You will do what all other believers do: Assert unsubstantiated and illogical claims, that will be easily dismantled by simple logic. Then you'll cry foul when you fail miserably. Correct?

8. John Colarusso profile image78

No by all means please do, i am neither arrogant nor ignorant, and would love to be shown proof. Just know i require factual evidence to support. It is as simple to me as a page in the koran that states a future event specifially no vaguness at all.

9. abdussalaam profile image80
    10. John Colarusso profile image78

Sorry to dissapoint you, but making "claims" stating your "beliefs" and crossrefrencing your own holy book does not constatute evidence. GOD IS SUPPOSEDLY all powerful, if we are the atoms why is he limited with proving himself

11. getitrite profile image71

So I guess if I believe the Flying Spaghetti Monster is watching me, then that brings him into existence. FSM is an awesome God!

12. abdussalaam profile image80

If your going to critique, at-least make it academic by using science and/or philosophy as opposed to being amateurish. Alternatively, why let facts get in the way of a good argument (sarcasm).

13. John Colarusso profile image78

Im being honest, the "evidence" you provide is severly lacking. These are merely claims and bold assumptions at that.

14. Kiss andTales profile image60

Sayyes, I am sorry I missed the question you directed to me. I find your  question very interesting,  and I will deliver your answers soon. Thanks for the questions.

15. profile image52

Abdus:  Have u found another book written before Bible containing fulfilled prophesies as Bible?  What other book has done this?

16. Kiss andTales profile image60

getit as I was going over old post I made the error of thinking sayyes ask the question about the Quran and the Muslim teachings
      I wrote the hub based on the questions you ask me on the subject,sorry for the name mix up but the answer stays the same

12. Patpat De Vera profile image58
    Patpat De Veraposted 8 years ago

At first, I dont know what Atheist is then I searched about it.
    "Are atheists rebelling against 'bad religion' because God's image has been tarnished by the church?" My answer is 80 percent no and 20 percent yes (if it is even allowed). In my perspective, every person's experiences are what made them what they are now. In my country and religion today, I say that they are making more effort to make many believe in God's words and doings.And recently, the Pope graced us with his presence. In a country that is majority a catholic, the visiting of the Papa binds us more. So that's why it is 80 percent and the 20 percent, It is just because of many controversies that the church is accused. Like many priests have started their own families (even if it is I dont know--prohibited?) and some other issues that is not actually proven truth.

Thank you for your insight. From what I have heard, Pope Francis is a humble man.

2. Patpat De Vera profile image58
      Patpat De Veraposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, he is. smile

Sayyes we would want to also connect with to spiritual heavenly Father , many do not know him or even try to know him .
      Many think they do and yet they disown his name.The truth always makes a difference
      But people think religion is all the same.

13. profile image52
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

What atheist and "believers" fail to believe is Scripture!  God "looks at the heart" (I Samuel 16:7) while "man" looks at man's actions!  Little do they know that the Scriptures say "We were once babes in Christ"  and when babes or remain babes - LAZY! 

I Peter 2:2 "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the WORD, that ye may GROW by it."  Therefore, one's "actions" depends on the "level of "FAITH" they have acquired by STUDYING the Word of God and not being complacent!   If we STUDY (II Timothy 2:15) His Word, believing, praying for revelation, we will GROW or CHANGE!  II Corinthians 3:18 says that we are "changed from GLORY to GLORY...as by the Spirit of the Lord." 

Consequently, when atheists "see" Christians sinning, they assume they are hypocrites as do "Believers!"  But always remember I Samuel 16:7 "God looks at the heart!"  {paraphrasing}!  However, it would behoove "Believers" to STUDY for GROWTH by "HUMBLING ONESELF" (I Chronicles 7:14) and allowing the Holy Spirit to "...TURN US FROM OUR WICKED WAYS..."   

Only GOD knows where an individual's "FAITH" level is concerning their "BELIEF" in Him!  This SPIRITUAL journey is as in school; PK-1 to PhD!  Although PK-1 one believes there is a God, he has not yet exercised "Faith" which is acquired by STUDYING and BELIEVING "ALL" of His Word to "see" the POWER of God in His entirety!     

BTW:  Love your saying!

So getit you inspired me to write , even though I disagree with your beliefs , you caused a postive action good thing . Thank you.

14. Say Yes To Life profile image80
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 8 years ago

I did rebel against Christianity in my late teens, but realized I was wrong and returned to the church.  When people rebel, they usually throw out the good with the bad.  That's what I did; when I paid the price, I saw the error of my ways.
    My recent change to agnosticism comes from post traumatic stress disorder from inadvertently joining a cult and putting my life in danger.  Looking back, I've noticed way too many parallels between basic cult practices and Christianity - the main ones being that you don't question what you're taught, you're strongly discouraged from associating with people who think differently from you, and you're misled into believing you're the only one with Absolute Truth and one of the few with the privilege of going to heaven.
    I find it strange that an omnipotent God not only allows atrocities to happen, but shows less concern for His reputation than a common celebrity.  If I ran my home the way He rules the world, I'd be an unfit parent. Other issues have led me to conclude He could be merely a human speculation - and it makes no sense to rebel against something that may not exist.

Sayyes if you rebel then and believed and returned, then you certainly believe in a God
      It is that you may not believe in the people
      Who say they believe in God,  people tend to
      Follow by example if that has been a negative experience you doubt.

2. Say Yes To Life profile image80

K&T - that's why I'm an agnostic, rather than full-blown atheist. Based on stories I've read and heard, I believe there are other worlds out there. It just makes no sense to me that one omnipotent being controls them all.

Well sayyes, it starts with that one, so far no one else can give the answers that fit us in as humans but him,  mostly people are disputing what these words mean even to grammar, but the truth is there to recieve, people are rejecting it .

4. profile image52

YO: That's what's wrong!  "Based on stories.."   "It just makes no sense to me...." (Prov 3:5; I Chron 7:14) Just BELIEVE HE IS Creator! Man's logic, reasoning, understanding will err! Let THE SPIRIT lead!

5. Say Yes To Life profile image80

"Trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey."
      My niece did that; the price was her high school degree.

6. Kiss andTales profile image60

Sayyes you mention your niece , I am sure you are proud of her success no matter the grade, but you and her have a real relationship , it is more then she is just a relative , you have feelings,  you connect with her from the heart.

7. Say Yes To Life profile image80

My niece dropped out of high school to join a cult!

8. Kiss andTales profile image60

Sayyes even if she did do this , would that change her feelings for her uncle.
      I certainly  do not agree with the thought of anyone joining , it is dangerous in many ways,  but you can help her with your own knowledge you have shared.

15. jlpark profile image81
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

Nope, not rebelling. Can't rebel against something that I don't believe in.
    Nor have I ever.

Organised religion has done itself no favours, in the way it approaches those who don't believe, or who don't fit their prescribed way of being. But whilst they may have put off people who were searching for a being to believe in, I'm not, so it doesn't really affect me.

Sanity?...hmmm the most sane people I know are atheists, and some of the most unwell people I've met - religious. Your wee quote has no basis. Mental health has nothing to do with religion..

1. profile image52

Jacq: But it does with Atheism & Homosexuality.....

2. jlpark profile image81
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What? Your religion doesn't affect me, unless it's trying to deny me rights. Unless you meant mental health - then, you'll find it doesn't in relation to the 'cause' of either. You'll need to explain yourself (without verses)....

3. profile image52

Jacq: IMO Most atheist r such bcuz  "preferred lifestyles" conflict w/WORD!  Most have experienced "Trauma" which led to "preferred lifestyle."

4. jlpark profile image81

Whilsts it's yr opinion, it's inaccurate. Atheists are atheist because they don't believe in God/s - some may have, some have never ever believed. Simple isn't it? No trauma required.

5. profile image52

Jacq:  OK so that your opinion!  Statistics shows differently?  What else could have driven them to such "unnatural" thinking?

6. getitrite profile image71

Its all natural. Heterosexuality and Homosexuality are natural. Believing in superstitions is a natural human trait.Also, some humans are naturally inclined to use logic and critical thinking. Delusion is the brains natural reaction to indoctrination

7. Kiss andTales profile image60

getit you tell yourself these things and indoctrinate your own self and people are to believe what you say.Iwould rather take the word of an acient book that gives examples and history of many generations of humansThen to take the word of one man .

8. profile image52

Get: How r u "smarter" than Creator? "Reason & Logic?" Who's? Yours? LOL!  No MAN smarter than Creator!  Yours "lacking!"  Homo "natural?" "IF" no "free will" & all were homo (natural) where's reproduction? Thk about it!

9. getitrite profile image71

Norine, u are merely regurgitating indoctrinated groupthink. U have no evidence that there is a creator, let alone how smart said creator is. Also, the creator in the bible was simply ignorant ancient humans, who had no access to the vast info today

10. jlpark profile image81

Nor - provide yr statistics then. The dictionary def agrees with me - all that is required for atheism is a lack of a belief in God. No trauma.,all are born atheistic until someone tells them they should believe.

11. profile image52

Get: R u not rewarded w/"good feeling" when doing right? Why? Ur spirit "connected to righteousness" - GOD!  Morals "innate!" What group?

Jac: Google for "statistics!" 

ALL "created in His Image"="righteousness" then acquire "stinking thinking!"

12. jlpark profile image81

Norine - they're yr proof - you provide it. You want to say something is fact, then it's on you to provide proof - not on the person asking for proof. Or do you not actually have any?

13. getitrite profile image71

Norine, u are still merely and mindlessly regurgitating indoctrinated unsubstantiated claims. I cant take this seriously, as it is paramount that u adhere to facts and not parrot the perceptions programmed in to your cortex. Where is your proof?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)