jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do your friends enhance or hinder your spiritual growth? How?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image96
    Phyllis Doyleposted 6 years ago

Do your friends enhance or hinder your spiritual growth? How?

The people we have in our circle of friends can either support our spiritual growth or inhibite us from growing.

2. CNicole83 profile image74
    CNicole83posted 6 years ago

I think it all depends on who your friends are. For me personally I have one that does enhance it, but the rest hinder it. Concerning my friends its all about who believes what and more importantly the positive and negative attitudes. My friend that enhances my spirituality is very positive and uplifting, while the rest are more self- centered and negative.

3. Dee aka Nonna profile image79
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 6 years ago

I think you said it....they can do both.  Most young people are very much influenced by their friends.  I have, for the most part, have always been a free thinker....my friends could influence but very often I didn't allow it.  As I have grown in both age and wisdom I know that people who want to hold us back usually drop away when they see they can't get us to think like them.

4. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 6 years ago

Friends enhacne your spiritual growth if you are on the same path.  They provide support and reinforce the practice.  Good friends provide encouragement and tell you nicely when you need to pick it up a bit.  A friend would not hinder your spiritual growth, that is no friend in my book.

Best wishes.

5. LoryRich profile image84
    LoryRichposted 6 years ago

All my friends, especially those who tend to be supportive and positive, enhance my spiritual growth. However, at times, they can also become difficult. And when that happens, that is, when a friend seems to be on a different wavelength, I consider him or her as a challenge to deal with and a situation to overcome as he or she provides the chance for me to look within myself to  face relationship issues squarely and to practice virtues which I may need to develop or to improve on at the moment like patience, forgiveness, understanding, and letting that friend be. There are times when you need to let go of them but that is just part of acceptance and surrender to, perhaps,  a harsh but inevitable reality. Thus, difficult friends enhance my spirituality even more as I learn to allow the grace of God to work through me in dealing with them in a more creative way.

Closed to reply

working