jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Is the practice of being nailed to the cross an act of repentance or is it satan

1. lifelovemystery profile image92
    lifelovemysteryposted 5 years ago

Is the practice of being nailed to the cross an act of repentance or is it satanic?

Each year people in the Phillipines willing allow themselves to be nailed to a cross. This includes nails in both hands and a nail driven through their feet.

Christ went to the cross for the redemption of our sin, so I fail to understand why this tradition of Roman torture continues in the 21st century.
    Photo credit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk

2. WannaB Writer profile image92
    WannaB Writerposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure why it continues, either. It may be that people are trying to identify with Christ and have decided this is one way to do it. I think it's sad, since Christ did this to atone for our sins so we would not have to suffer to atone for our own sins. Some people may do it to try to show their repentance,  but God certainly doesn't encourage this practice. The Paul, in Galatians 2:20, says, "I have been crucified with Christ (past); it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

I don't think this is Satanic, but I think it is unnecessary and the only spiritual gain I could possible think of is that someone might have a small idea of the debt they owe Christ. Even were someone to be crucified to death today, he would still not begin to fathom the pain Christ went through for us in bearing the sins of the whole world, facing the wrath of God for us, and being cut off from his Father during that time. So I see this as a kind of futile effort. I guess I wonder more about the people who drive the nails in.

3. peeples profile image95
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

It's delusion! Pure and simple delusion!

4. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 5 years ago

It's neither. it is just stupidity.

5. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 5 years ago

The way I look at it is Jesus payed the price for our sins. It is not asked of us to do such things to our bodies or continue such rituals. This does not make it satanic, yet at the same time, there is only good and evil. There is no lukewarm in God's kingdom.

6. profile image0
    Hubert Williamsposted 5 years ago

Crucifixion was not done just for Jesus. It was the form of punishment the Romans used on everyone condemned to death. If people want to feel closer to Jesus by doing something that He did, having dinner with a tax collector seems to be much more of a pleasant experince.

7. eternals3ptember profile image62
    eternals3ptemberposted 5 years ago

It's an act of faith, a proof to God that you love Jesus. God can see that you love Him, and It's easy to feel God's love when everything is fine, but it's a trial to be nailed to a cross and have love in your heart. It's the same with fasting until it hurts and donating money until it hurts and helping build churches until it hurts.