jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Confronted with negativity should you FIGHT or FLIGHT?

1. giopski profile image62
    giopskiposted 5 years ago

Confronted with negativity should you FIGHT or FLIGHT?

I always wondered how people should react on certain negative situations.  They say it's the attitude that counts and defines the person.  But still, should one FIGHT or FLIGHT?

2. susiempn profile image86
    susiempnposted 5 years ago

I think it's situation specific.  You just need the knowledge base, both intellectually and emotionally, to know what to do.  You never want to make a negative situation worse.

3. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

It depends on whether it's a situation that matters much or not.  I'm generally a big fan of fighting things rather than just accepting crap.  There are times, though, when some things aren't worth fighting for; and it can make more sense to just go with "flight" of one sort or another.  Then again, what we can discover is that even in times when we don't think something is worth fighting over, we discover that adrenalin and/or instinct kick in - and we find ourselves fighting against our own better judgment.

Having said that, I think it's best to pick one's battles, only fight for what matters, never fight over what doesn't, keep in mind that all fighting doesn't necessarily involved physical fighting (particularly when there's no physical threat), and fight effectively when winning that fight matters.

I think we have both instincts for a reason, which would to me suggest that there are times when either and/or both are required.

4. Catzgendron profile image73
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

That depends on the situation.  What is causing the negativity and what is your role in that particular situation.  I will say in any situation that being clear headed, level headed and leading with a mature manner makes a difference.

5. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

I think there are instances where you may have to CONFRONT or ENGAGE (FIGHT) a person--it doesn't have to be, though, in a confrontational way, but rather in a way that ASSERTIVELY addresses compulsive, persistent, pesky behavior.

I certainly don't see anything wrong with SPEAKING UP FOR YOURSELF (FIGHT). And other times, I think it's more appropriate to just LET THINGS GO (FLIGHT).

I think it's as the situation warrants.

1. giopski profile image62
      giopskiposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Agree.  Circumstances do really vary and we have to discern wisely in order not to make things even worse.