jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Is it rude for an atheist/agnostic to say Grace while dining as a guest?

1. ThatYossarian profile image60
    ThatYossarianposted 5 years ago

Is it rude for an atheist/agnostic to say Grace while dining as a guest?

I was recently invited to dinner at a girlfriend's family house. Her brother charged me, a non-believer, with being rude and hypocritical for saying Grace with the family. I thought it was the polite thing to do, and a matter of common courtesy. Am I wrong?

2. Jenna Pope profile image60
    Jenna Popeposted 5 years ago

Say, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." (St. Ambrose said that in 387 A.D.). I think that it was very nice that you said grace. The brother was nitpicking.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

My husband is Christian and his parents not only pray before meals but on holidays read for 15 minutes out loud from the bible. They do not know I am atheist and I sit there quiet the entire time. It makes me polite not a hypocrite. Not all of us atheist feel the need to be rude to believers. Good for you, the brother is a rude idiot.

4. luckykarma profile image60
    luckykarmaposted 5 years ago

He wasn't much of a Christian was he? critizising you! It may have done you some good who knows!....hope you still have your girlfriend!

5. Catzgendron profile image75
    Catzgendronposted 5 years ago

you may want to remind him that he isn't sitting at the right hand of God so he has no right to pass judgement.  You were being respectful and I applaud you for that.

6. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image60
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

Hmmm....good question. This sounds like a Dear Abby or Miss Manners question. As a Christian, I would consider it polite if someone bowed his head while I said a prayer, but I think it is the personal choice of the guest. I think this question makes me more aware to be sure and let any guests I may entertain in the future that they do not have to bow their heads to pray. You could bow your head and not pray, but I wouldn't want to put anyone I am entertaining for dinner on the spot or make them uncomfortable.

7. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Let me guess...   the brother is around nineteen years old, has an attitude problem in all his "judging and figuring out of all of life and all of people", and still needs to grow up. If he is around that age, give him about five years or so.  He won't be quite such an expert on moral high ground by then. 

No.  You weren't being a hypocrite, as far as I'm concerned.  You were being respectful of something that means a lot to them.

8. profile image0
    CJ Sledgehammerposted 5 years ago

I think the Apostle Paul was the one who said "When in Rome, do as the Romans do". I think what you did was the right thing to do and baby brother is out of line.

working