jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Is the Bible a new idol to worship?

1. Rodric29 profile image79
    Rodric29posted 5 years ago

Is the Bible a new idol to worship?

I have never followed a book without question. I hear many that believe that the Bible is straight from heaven instead of the Catholic church who put it together in the first place. I hear people say, "The Bible says this or that."

Do people worship the words written by men of God for instruction or do people worship the God who gave the words? Why do people never say, "God said..?" He is the same God from the beginning.

2. Eric L. Andrews profile image56
    Eric L. Andrewsposted 5 years ago

No.  In the Bible many times it is stated that the text is God-inspired and God-breathed.  I have read it extensively, and studied its passages, and found them to hold the same meaning and message from Genesis to Revelation.  This over a period of 2500 years and 40+ writers of Biblical scripture.  The first translation to English occured back in the 5th Century, from Hebrew or Greek to Latin and then to English (King James Version).  Yes, the Pope at the time commissioned the work to be done, but I believe the Bible was accurately translated and is God's word.  We are not to worship the book itself, but to hold its meaning as holy, including the story of Jesus Christ and His Father.  Worshiping the Bible itself would encompass idolatry, which is forbidden by God.

Rodric29posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering and voted up. I too believe that the Bible is the word of God. I know those who worship the Bible though and made a whole religion out of it called The Bible Society. That is my opinion though not a fact.

3. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 5 years ago

The Bible contains truth.

But belief (interpretation) is rarely, if ever, truth.

Our human words are only approximations. We must use the words as guides, but then seek the Holy Spirit, within for guidance the rest of the way, because that last stretch is not physical and there is nothing like it in our physical experience.

4. Cathleena Beams profile image72
    Cathleena Beamsposted 5 years ago

Anything that we esteem or love more than God is an idol.  I can't imagine loving the written words more than the God who inspired them.  When I hear someone say the "Bible says", my mind translates the meaning and I hear "God says".

Rodric29posted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is a good answer. It is important to grasp the psychology behind words.

5. Dubuquedogtrainer profile image59
    Dubuquedogtrainerposted 5 years ago

No one who has read the Bible worships the Bible, but we sure do appreciate that our God wrote this love letter to us and sent His son to die for our sins in our place on the cross. Only by reading the Bible can you understand the written Word and God Himself. Only by reading the Bible can you find a relationship with the Most Holy God of the Bible. No, people do not worship the Bible; they worship the God who inspired the Bible. But we treasure the Bible because by reading it we grow in our understanding of God and our relationship with Him.