jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Why do some Christians have such a narrow perspective on spirituality?

1. maddot profile image80
    maddotposted 5 years ago

Why do some Christians have such a narrow perspective on spirituality?

If Christians think they are on the  only "true" path that leads to heaven...where does that leave the rest of us - Moslems, Hindus, Buddhists, non-believers who practice compassion, loving kindness, generosity, honesty etc?

2. rdlang05 profile image89
    rdlang05posted 5 years ago

Well, it depends on the Christian you talk to.  I think most Evangelicals and Calvanists that would say anyone who doesn't believe in Christ (and some that do) go to hell without a doubt.

Conversley, there is a substantial body of Catholics who, interpreting Vatican II, would say that its possible for such people to be saved if they were ignorant in some way and still lived a good life, or if they did, in some way, desire to follow Truth and the Christian God.  Its called "Baptism" by desire.  There's also other facets of it, but that's the primary concept.

3. GodTalk profile image83
    GodTalkposted 5 years ago

Christianity teaches that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and that none of us deserves heaven. God's standard is perfection and none of us can reach God by any of those things that you mentioned. The message, which comes straight from Jesus Himself, is that He is the only way to heaven.  He said: "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me." The Bible also teaches that: "Neither is there salvation in any other. For there is none other name under heaven, given among men, whereby we must be saved." That name is the name of Jesus Christ.
       Man, is too sinful to get to God on his own. God had to make a way for us through His Son Jesus Christ. What we are asked to do is to come to Him in faith, and He will change us and make us into what God wants us to be.  Those works that you mentioned, though good, don't impress God. He is impressed by thoughs who come to His son in faith.

4. sir_tallest profile image63
    sir_tallestposted 5 years ago

as far as I know, I don’t believe Christianity is the only religion that preaches life after death….some other religion do but the most important thing I believe to do is be good and just and  then, if there is a life after there, you deserve to be there

5. BrianMI6 profile image60
    BrianMI6posted 5 years ago

In John 14:6 Jesus said, "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

For a Christian to say that there are other ways to God would be for them to call Jesus Christ a liar.  Since true Christians don't do that, they tend to believe that everyone who thinks that they can get to  God without Christ as being deceived and on their way to a place that is very different from heaven.

The Apostle Paul seemed to double down on Christ's words when he said:

For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus - 1 Timothy 2:5

The real question is, why would any Christian think that anyone of another faith actually is going to be welcomed into heaven by God when we have these two, very clear, verses in scripture.

1. rdlang05 profile image89
      rdlang05posted 5 years agoin reply to this

God made a covenant with the Jews.  Will he break it with those who missed the Messiah?  It seems he is either a liar or a promise breaker.

6. Dave Mathews profile image60
    Dave Mathewsposted 5 years ago

We are all spiritual beings. We inhabit human form for a time. Jesus, who is also God, tells us that the only way back to heaven, is through believing in Him.

working