jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Is it okay for Christians to play the lottery? Why or why not?

1. Tracy K. profile image69
    Tracy K.posted 5 years ago

Is it okay for Christians to play the lottery? Why or why not?

2. PlanksandNails profile image85
    PlanksandNailsposted 5 years ago

Is playing the lottery being a good steward with your money?

Statistically the lottery does not benefit the individual playing it. Scripture says that God is the ultimate owner of our possessions; therefore, we are his caretakers.

“He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much. “Therefore if you have not been faithful in the use of unrighteous wealth, who will entrust the true riches to you? - Luke 16:10-11

1. Hmtrio2 profile image78
      Hmtrio2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Why play the lottery when you already have everything you need in the lord? His grace is sufficient. And all things are yours because all things are Christ because all things are God.

2. Greg Sereda profile image75
      Greg Seredaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very well said, brother. I once heard that, statistically, you have  a better chance of getting bit by a shark on dry land than winning the lottery. Not to mention, almost everyone who wins the lottery is broke within 5 years. What's up with that?

3. Tracy K. profile image69
      Tracy K.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't play the lottery because I trust God to be my ultimate source and provider. Also, I don't want the riches of this world to distract me from the Creator of this world. It can become tempting to place your faith in the lottery than in Christ.

3. ElderYoungMan profile image78
    ElderYoungManposted 5 years ago

No.  Actually, people that are born out of roman catholicism or protestant won't care much about the rules and do it anyway.  Our Father, the Most High of the Christian scriptures is looking for saints that are more interested in Him and Yahoshua Ha Masciac than this world's mess.

"Live no longer as the Gentiles do, for they are hopelessly confused." - Ephesians 4:17

So, no sis.  We are supposed to be strong enough to pass on millions.  Yah doesn't need this worlds money.  He needs us to be true to him and the word of those scriptures.  :-)

1. Greg Sereda profile image75
      Greg Seredaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How could you judge people from other churches that you don't even know!? Jesus said, "...other sheep I have, which are not of this fold:..." - John 10:16. I'm not saying that all churches are right, but God is leading people in all churches.

4. Disappearinghead profile image78
    Disappearingheadposted 5 years ago

It's up to the individual Christian to make up their own minds, and I don't suppose that God is too bothered whether one does or does not.

Statistically the chances of winning are very remote. In fact lotteries have been called a voluntary tax for the poor, and the only winners are those running them. But if you have some spare change and you fancy buying a lottery ticket rather than a Big Mac and extra large fries, then why not, it's your choice.

5. yeagerinvestments profile image86
    yeagerinvestmentsposted 5 years ago

No, if the Bible forbids gambling, how is the lottery different? We also have to look at the heart and figure out the motivation behind playing the lottery. Often times I would venture to guess it's greed.