What sins does one have to commit to be sent to hell?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (55 posts)
  1. joanwz profile image79
    joanwzposted 11 years ago

What sins does one have to commit to be sent to hell?

Will any sin condmen you to hell? Or do you just have to be an extraordinarily bad person?

2. BraidedZero profile image85
    BraidedZeroposted 11 years ago

There is no one sin someone commits to be sent to Hell. It is not a meter that once it is full you get sent to Hell. You go to Heaven if you accept Christ as your personal savior. You go to Hell if you deny him. Their is one sin though that is considered the "unforgivable" sin, and that is blaspheme of the Holy Spirit of Christ. But this sin cannot be committed by someone who accepts the Holy Spirit. It is intended for truly evil people.

Mark 3:28-30 "28 Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter, 29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

joanwzposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have read this many times. THank you.

2. profile image0
      oceansiderposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are certainly right!!.....If Jesus is our personal Savior then we will live in heaven with Him eternally.....and anyone who denies Christ will not be able to enter the kingdom of heaven.

3. Disappearinghead profile image60
    Disappearingheadposted 11 years ago

It very much depends on what you think hell is. If you imagine hell to be a place of eternal torment either at the hands of your loving Father or by a demon pushing a hot poker up your bottom, then no sin will send you there because these places do not exist. If by hell you mean a temporary place of cleansing from impurity; a testing of each mans' works; or being salted with fire, then it is a fate shared by all.

Wonderful things to consider. I haven't had anyone put this way before. Thank you.

2. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

unfortunately this catholic church teaching is NOT scriptural.  once you die your fate is sealed.   depending on how you were living at death you are judged.
      "they who endure to the end shall be saved"

4. d.william profile image73
    d.williamposted 11 years ago

http://youtu.be/LkaH3hEmV3M
    This video will answer your question.  Listen and learn.

This is a great answer. Thanks.

2. jlpark profile image78
      jlparkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Bishop Spong is awesome

3. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, this guy (Bishop Spong) is a lunatic. His words are sweet and logical, but he knows nothing of spirituality. He misses the truth by several light years!

4. jlpark profile image78

So, he's a lunatic, merely because you don't agree with him?
      Spirituality is a personal journey. The only journey any of us have knowledge of is our own.  He has his theories, you have yours. Does not make either of you a lunatic.

5. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like you lone77star. You give good answers. This time JL Park has beaten you to it. Your answers are very, very good. Still, springle them with just a touch more service and you won't have this problem.
      I stuck my neck out here, only for a friend.

6. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

spong is a reprobate and does not represent the one true God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

5. faythef profile image62
    faythefposted 11 years ago

I saw a a quote , just recently that I believe to be true. it said:
    Good people do not go to Heaven
    Forgiven people go to heaven.

So having said that I believe that not one sin is any greater than another...But all can be forgiven...

1. MarieAlana1 profile image68
      MarieAlana1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you believe, then you will receive. If you are faithful and don't lose hope Then, you accept Christ into your heart. You will live someday in heaven.

2. profile image0

I agree with faythef and Marie Alana1.  We are all sinners, but Jesus died on the cross for us and forgave our sins once and for all!.....If we love Jesus and believe He is Almighty God and live for Him, we will live eternally in heaven with Him.

3. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jesus IS NOT GOD. HE IS THE SON OF GOD.  See scriptures dont believe hireling pastors

4. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Scripture LIED?  How do you explain "He was in the world and the world was MADE BY HIM..." (Jn1:10)? 
      Explain!

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image59
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

If you are not saved,  That means you do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God and have not taken him as your personal Savior.  To better understand this read the Book of Romans

1. TerryK81 profile image60
      TerryK81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Read Jonh 16:5-15 then go to Matthew 12:22-32. Not being saved is part of it; It's refusing to repent and confess your sins, refusing to ackonwedlge to God your sin. It is willful persistence in sin with refusal to surrender to God.

even satan "believes Jesus is the son of God.      Believing doesnt do it.  Ye Must repent and be baptized in the Name of Jesus and surrender totally to Him.   Then endure to the end

7. TerryK81 profile image60
    TerryK81posted 11 years ago

In Matthew 12:22-32 is the gospel story of Jesus casting out a demon from someone who was blind and mute; the Pharisees saw this and they "this fellow does not cast out demonsexcept by beelzebub, the ruler of the demons" (12:24). The Pharisees had had way too much evidence that Jesus was the Messiah and yet they continued to harass, reject, and disrespect Him. They had just drew the line on themselves by their remark to Jesus. Jesus explains to them that, "every kingdom divided aginst itself is brought to desolation, and every city or house divided against itself will not stand. If satan casts out satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? And if I cast out demons by beelzebub, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they shall be your judges." (Matthew 12:25-27) and "He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad" (Matthew 12:30). Here, Christ reveals to them their (the Pharisees) hard-hearted ignorance that influences them to say such stupid, blasphemous remarks such as stated a few lines above from Scripture. Jesus explains that a whole cannot be whole when divided against itself to put it in modern terms, so how and WHY would satan cast himself out, when he would be defeating himself and purpose by doing so? Next, Jesus reveals a very solemn warning that all need to heed very carefully:
    "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or the age to come" (Matthew 12:31-32). Some believe the "Unpardonable Sin" (unforgivable sin) is the sin of murder, or a crime or offense against a child; some say witchcraft. But it is not any single act of any kind. In John 16:5-15, Jesus descibes the work of the Holy Spirit, and that "He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak;and He will tell you things to come"(John 16:13). The Holy Spirit (1) convicts (convinces) you of sin, (2) Will speak according to God's Truth and (3) will tell you of things to come, like an "impressing" of something. John 17:17 Jesus prays, "Sanctify them by Your Truth; Your word is Truth".  The Unpardonable Sin is refusing to repent and confess your sins, and when you give satan credit for God's work.

8. RachMW profile image60
    RachMWposted 11 years ago

The bible reads that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. However, in the bible God's promise to all is that whoever asks for forgiveness and believes that Jesus Christ is the Saviour and was sent here to die for our sins shall be saved and have the gift of everlasting life (heaven). All one has to do is trust in Jesus, ask Him into your heart to save you, confess your sins and ask for forgiveness and you will be saved. The "Romans Robe" is commonly referred to in answer to the question. It is really a matter of where your faith is and if you want to believe it is as simple as trusting in the bible and trusting in Jesus. Romans 3:21-28, 5:16-19

1. profile image0

You are spot on!.....Yes, Jesus is the Only Way!

unfortunately there is more to being "saved" than you say.     What you describe is the beginning of salvation and is scripturally called being born again  and is only the first step in salvation

9. Timroj profile image58
    Timrojposted 11 years ago

you don't have to commit any sin to go to hell...the truth is we are all sinners... and the wages of sin is death...

10. Seek-n-Find profile image70
    Seek-n-Findposted 11 years ago

Anybody can have an opinion--but the answers I like best follow logic.  This man has an amazing sense of logic as he talks about such things...check out a glimpse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLGf-Wmky6g

1. celafoe profile image52

A Christian cannot look for logic, he must look to scripture and the Holy Spirits voice.

11. manatita44 profile image71
    manatita44posted 11 years ago

Hi Joanwz,
    God is a God of love or compassion. Yes, there is a justice aspect, but ultimately even this is an aspect of His Grace. Rather like you chiding your children so that they will do the right thing.
    Sin is an obstacle or something preventing you from getting to God. It is a transgression of His law. The universal laws work in such a way that we pay when we do wrong. Some things are conscious wrongs and others are unconscious wrongs. The result of actions good or bad is called 'karma'. But I always say that this is a complex subject. It requires experience and knowledge.
    Now sin is sin, says the Spiritual Directors, and the 'small' sin is just as bad if not worse. It is when we fail in the small things, that we go on to fail in what really matters. Correct the small problems, and the big ones will go away.
    There is a state of consciousness where we will suffer some, for our wrong actions, but ultimately the soul returns to God and goes to a region designated to how it lives its life. There are interceptions or waivers, if you like, but that is a big subject. Ultimately, we all return to God. Please do not worry. Read some of my poems. They will help.

this is not a scriptural answer

2. lone77star profile image72
      lone77starposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Beautiful! May grace of God be with you always.

@celafoe, it may be your interpretation of scripture needs to be adjusted. Have the humility to look. After 60 years of study, this answer sounds more scriptural than my grandfather's sermons.

3. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank You, lone77 star. I pray that God continues to shower you with His blessings

12. Lazy Parrot profile image59
    Lazy Parrotposted 11 years ago

The Bible says, you were born a sinner, so just being born condemns you to hell.  The only way not to go is by excepting Jesus as your savior.  If you believe the King James version of the Holy Bible.

1. TerryK81 profile image60
      TerryK81posted 11 years agoin reply to this

the NEW king james lol

2. Lazy Parrot profile image59
      Lazy Parrotposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I grew up with THE King James.  New came out in the 80s?

3. celafoe profile image52
      celafoeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lp   yes but the NKJV was not written by hirelings to appease an earthy king.

13. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

Eating the last candy bar in the cabinet is probably one of the unpardonable ones. I'm sure Jesus would have commented on it, had chocolate been available in the Roman empire.

14. OutWest profile image56
    OutWestposted 11 years ago

Personally, none.  I do not believe the Creator (of the universe and life) will condemn us over an action(s) committed on earth, contrary to popular belief.  I feel we are enlightened once we come into His presence.  To me hell would be our choice to not remain in His presence, however that would work.  We are who we are and believe what we believe.  Overall I think we try to do the best we can in life and I do not believe people actually make their decisions and do things because they may feel that they can get away with it and not go to hell for their actions.

so sad.  too bad your belief is not scriptural

it is your right to believe what you will but what you believe is not scriptural so it is wrong

3. jlpark profile image78

celafoe - Whilst we all have the right to believe as we wish, NO ONE has the right to tell someone else that their belief is wrong. I'd like to know what 'credentials' you have to be telling people they are wrong. Its not a good look.

4. OutWest profile image56
      OutWestposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not to me it isn't.  Too bad yours is.  Very narrow of you.  Are you unable to make up your own mind?

15. celafoe profile image52
    celafoeposted 11 years ago

it is not what sins must you commit, since we are born in sin,  the question is what must i do to get to enter the Kingdom of God.
    the answer is repent of ALL of your sins, be born again, baptized n water and the Spirit iand follow God til you die.

16. Darrell Roberts profile image70
    Darrell Robertsposted 11 years ago

From my studies of various religious and philosophical schools, I have come to the conclusion that Hell means to be without GOD.  The concept of sin according to my ancient teachers means to turn you back on God and forget about Him.  The longer a spirit soul wants to be separate from God they will be in a hellish condition.

Hell is a state of being physically, mentally, and emotionally.  The idea that you commit one at an burn in Hell forever is not logical. The planet, solar system, and galaxy all have a life span, and it could be millions or billions of years.  We little human beings have a life span of 100 years physically, what could we possibly do physically on this planet to burn in hell for ever.

Now with that said the spirit is eternal.  God is the Lord and Master of the Eternal Existence, as long as you keep turning your back to God or fighting with God, you will suffer.  If the spirit soul decides to do that life after life, then yes they could burn in Hell or suffer for what feels like an eternity, but that would be their doing. 

I try to serve God as Vishnu so I am glad that we have a way to break free from material bondage and eliminate our Karma.

I hope get a chance to read the Bhagavad-Gita written by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedana Swami Srila Prabhupada.

Have a great day.

Dhira Krishna Das

and that cannot do anything for you   there is only one way to salvation --through  Jesus Christ

17. profile image0
    ViolinByCourtneyposted 11 years ago

I do not believe God numbers our sins. Sin is a collective thing and is something you have, not something you do, unless you have sin and then everything you do is a sin. Sin is a description of your nature and character. If you have sin, you live a life that is fully of hate, selfishness, destructive behavior, and denial of God. If you have been cleansed of your sins, you live a life that still is all those things because you are human but also consists of a desire to do the opposite and a pursuit of God and all things good. There are a number of things listed in the Bible that are called abominations and are often confused as being "worse" than other sinful behaviors. However, the only real difference is that these abominations are conscious decisions to live in sin, where as other sinful behaviors are more impulsive.
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se … rsion=NASB

1. OutWest profile image56
      OutWestposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe this to be the true definition of sin.  It really has to do with what we should be doing as an inner measure.
      James 4:17
      New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
      17 Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.

18. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Selfishness!

Simple enough for you? At the heart of selfishness is ego, the master of this world.

What you labeled as the "Best Answer" is a crock. Bishop John Spong tells a sweet lie, full of logic, but it's not Truth. A lot of Fundamentalists fall into the same problem, but on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I agree that God is not a Christian, a Buddhist or a Taoist. But He does want His children back, and God is not Homo sapiens, either. Study that last sentence for a long time. There's a lot in it.

When Bishop Spong said that we don't need to be born again, he missed the entire point of it all. But so do many Fundamentalists. Like so many Fundamentalists, Spong seems to think that being born again is to become a physical child. Nonsense. Being born again is being born of the spirit; not the flesh.

God's children are not Homo sapiens, but those who are lost are using human bodies to help them attain a level of consciousness they didn't have before humans were created. God's children, without these bodies, are in a perpetual dream -- a state of darkness, because they cannot see without human eyes.

But I have glimpsed the world with the eyes of spirit. In 1971, for a few moments, I saw the world anew. My rebirth lasted only a few seconds, but I threw it away, in my ignorance. I clung to the false "self" of ego and was immediately plunged back into the darkness of mortal existence. Ego is the blindfold the lost children of God wear. Being born again, is the act of taking off that blindfold and seeing without need of physical means.

Hell is someone being left behind when the rescue mission leaves and that someone has decided to stay. I don't know much more about it. But picture this: the immortal soul (true self, child of God, Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit), within, is stuck on Earth, lost in a perpetual dream, but Homo sapiens (and all life) can no longer exist, because the sun has ballooned out to engulf the Earth, plunging it into the fiery hearth at its core. I don't think even that would be "hell." But hell might be the feeble realization within the true self that all hope of escape has now been withdrawn and they no longer have any hope of regaining continuity of consciousness (everlasting life) of the spiritual being they inherently are.

1. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

AMEN!

19. profile image50
    avishalivingstonposted 11 years ago

Romans 3;10 None is righteous, no, not one and 1 john 3;4 says Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness..  According to this who ever doesn't follow GOD'S commandments are sinners  and sinners enter the hell .                               .[;Acts 2 ;38 says  And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. According to  this what ever sin we have done no matter when you come to Lord and ask for  forgiveness will go to heaven, so no worries of going to hell  ]

20. Little Grandmommy profile image60
    Little Grandmommyposted 11 years ago

Here is a link you can go to that has an excellent explanation of sin and God's forgiveness of sin.  http://bible-christian.org/discussion/response53.html

21. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I've been told all sins except thinking God isn't real can be forgiven.  I find that bizarre because, while I know many people can believe whatever they want to be real is real, I can only believe in things I think are real.

22. no body profile image68
    no bodyposted 8 years ago

Only one sin sends a person to hell. Only one... allowing your life to go by and never receiving Christ the Creator as Savior.
    The Bible even says that indigenous people who never heard of Jesus, can recognize the Creator and humble themselves to the point of admitting they are a sinner and needing the Creator to save them. Even nature declares the holiness of God so man is without excuse. Bob.

23. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 7 years ago

The ONLY sin one "have to commit to be sent to hell" is "UNBELIEF!"

Hebrews 3:19 says "So we see that they could not enter in because of "UNBELIEF!" 

"Unbelief" of what?  Unbelief of "rightly divided Word" (II Timothy 2:15)!  If one can "rightly divide" His Word, one can "wrongly divide" It also!  That's why it's IMPERATIVE that one be PRECISE in "dividing" the Word of GOD! 

"Sin" has NOTHING to do with "entering" IF "in Christ Jesus" or Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10; 10:16 LIED as did Psalms 103:12!  Both Jeremiah and Hebrews says "...and I will remember their "sin" no more!"  Psalms 103:12 says "As far is the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us." 

However, one MUST be "IN" Christ Jesus" or "born again" (John 3:7) as the disciples were on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:2-4)!  Once "born again," our Spirit becomes "a new creature" (II Corinthians 5:17) and the Holy Spirit "works" in us (Titus 2:12) "renewing our minds" (Ephesians 4:23-32) unto "righteousness" which is "the likeness of Christ!"

This all takes place under the "New Covenant" (Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10; 10:16) of "GRACE and TRUTH" (John 1:14) wherein Jesus returned (John 14:26; "in my name") as the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:2) as "Promised" in John 14:26 and 16:13!  Since we "proclaim" to be Christians, we were "commanded" to "OBSERVE the disciples" in Matthew 28:20 and should look at the example of how they acquired the "CONNECTION" to the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:2-4) through which Jesus can "give commandments unto the apostles who he has chosen" (Acts 1:2)!

Blessings

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)