jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Why do people have the misconception that Christians are perfect?

1. Tracy K. profile image68
    Tracy K.posted 5 years ago

Why do people have the misconception that Christians are perfect?

2. Vegas Elias profile image31
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

Most of the people who feel that Christians are perfect are Christians themselves. I find many Christians are completely closed to any suggestions which go against Biblical writings however irrational they may be.

3. Doc Snow profile image95
    Doc Snowposted 5 years ago

I didn't know anybody *did* think this, quite candidly.  Certainly some Christians are quite quick to proclaim themselves "not perfect--just forgiven."  While it disclaims perfection, some others may still find it to smack of an unpalatable smugness--including those (other) Christians who are reluctant to claim they know the mind of God.

4. royalblkrose profile image59
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

I wonder that myself...! It is sad that many that do not have a PROPER understanding of the Christian lifestyle are so quick to have predjudices about Christians based on stereotypes of and bad behaviour by, Christians. Non-Christians are quick to berate, belittle and lambaste Christians for living their lives by the objective Moral Truth of the Word.

5. Esenbee profile image61
    Esenbeeposted 5 years ago

I think people believe this because when they hear the word "Christian," they think of the name "Jesus." People believe that Christians are supposed to live the same life as Jesus lived. Jesus was perfect, so people believe that his followers should be also.

6. Darrell Roberts profile image72
    Darrell Robertsposted 5 years ago

Hmm, Perfect means incapable of making a mistake, completely free of faults or defects.  So unless, you know a person who has passed every test with 100 percent, never made a spelling mistake, never mispoke, never forgot anything, has always heard everything correctly, etc.  There are no perfect human beings in my book, because the senses themselves are fallible. We can only do the best we can do in all instances.

I think that if anyone in any religious tradition think themself perfect, then they should not need that religion, and they should start one on their own and see how far they get. 

Best wishes,

DR

7. profile image0
    VeronicaInspiresposted 5 years ago

I think it has to do with the way we share the gospel and the images we try convey to other people.

There's a non-uniformity in the Christian faith where are actions don't match our words. And I think the deeper we get in our faith, the more overzealous we sometimes become.

We feel like we're above the fall. We forget that we are not immune to the same challenges that we Christians try to judge and convict of others.

Instead of sharing the Word with grace and love, we get self-righteous and condemn.

I talk about it here: UNCHRISTIAN http://veronicainspires.hubpages.com/hu … stianFaith

working