jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (17 posts)

Does your religion or lack of religion define you?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Does your religion or lack of religion define you?

2. Darrell Roberts profile image71
    Darrell Robertsposted 5 years ago

Religion does not define a person. The person themselves define who they are by thoughts, words, actions. People say so many things, but in the end what they do is the most important thing to consider. 
    There are so many facets to a person, religion is just a part. Many people have religion, ok, they also have obligations to the society at large, friends, family etc.  They may have other practices such as writing poetry, running, body building, martial arts, painting, gardening etc.  All that a person does is what makes them who they are in this world.

Best wishes.

3. SkySlave profile image84
    SkySlaveposted 5 years ago

I believe that your religion, or lack their of, should not define you but sadly i think it often does. I believe some people define themselves with their religion or beliefs like people often do with their jobs as well. Religion is something that can guide you in your life, its not your life itself.

4. whonunuwho profile image80
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

We are defined by our characters. of which, religious beliefs are a part.

5. dlegendre profile image61
    dlegendreposted 5 years ago

My spirituality defines me.  It is who I am.  It is the light of my Soul. and that is what I am, a Soul, the body is temporary, the Soul remains forever.

6. profile image0
    David Ramsesposted 5 years ago

Religion literally means "habit". By that definition even people without religion have religion. Religion cannot be properly defined as "belief in God" because there are some "religions" that do not; like atheism, for example. But, yes, our habits do define us. Our habitual actions, thoughts, feelings, and words define us.

1. Cristale profile image85
      Cristaleposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree and respect other's preferred religion choice. That is some thing that is none of my business because it's a personal relationship between "God" and that person. Some things are meant to be kept private.

7. calynbana profile image83
    calynbanaposted 5 years ago

Well as a Christian I am constantly working to be Christ like. I turn to Christ to know how to be loving, in the most important sense of the word. Christ defines who I am, my desire to be like Him defines my words and actions, my desire to be with Him defines my course in life, my human sinfulness and my own uniqueness contributes to what and who I am. My religion does not define me, Christ helps me discover my identity, and I want Him to define me in whole. But truthfully as a human I can never fully overcome sin, that is until death. So until then, I must be defined as  a Human, seeking to be Christian.

8. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I would suggest that, rather than define ourselves, we work with religion and non-religion to perpetually ask who we are and what it means to be a person, living the question rather than the answer. Zen Buddhism and Advaitist Hindu meditations do this. And there is a Jewish version, where it is suggested that we write a 2 notes to ourselves and put them in different pockets: "I am nothing but dust and ashes"; and "For me alone the world was made." Scientifically, we can continue to wonder and explore the experience and understanding of being human, also.

9. hi friend profile image60
    hi friendposted 5 years ago

I think that religion is a best way of refine a person and holding social ethics.

1. dlegendre profile image61
      dlegendreposted 5 years agoin reply to this

To most of the commenters:  I am writing of spirituality and not that concrete categorie called religion.    How many religious priests have molested boys?  Their religion certainely did not define who they really were!

2. hi friend profile image60
      hi friendposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It must not be a fault of religion.But it is the fault on the side of its followers.

10. jadesmg profile image91
    jadesmgposted 5 years ago

I really hope not. I think it can define you a little, but only in so much as your general society defines and shapes you. You are still a destinct individual from these influences.

11. Dantex460 profile image60
    Dantex460posted 5 years ago

Everything we do defines us, if it didn't we would have no choice in what we do.

12. umeraziz profile image36
    umerazizposted 5 years ago

religion is a framework of spending life.. in my opinion religion defines what we are and what we do..

there are many other factors and religion is one which is most influential..

13. anivardiashvili profile image60
    anivardiashviliposted 5 years ago

I think that religion is a best way of refine a person and holding social ethics.

14. tom hellert profile image61
    tom hellertposted 5 years ago

No 1 thing defines me or anyone else...I am 100 things at least my religeon is three things alone...my ethnicity 4 things, my sex is one- preference is one although I do like various parts of women-have my favorites but-that does not define me - So No 1 thing defines me....
    TH

working