jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)

Do you try to figure out who you are or do you create who you want to be?

1. KeithJK profile image60
    KeithJKposted 5 years ago

Do you try to figure out who you are or do you create who you want to be?

2. backporchstories profile image80
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Because I am so passionate about writing and expressing myself through other artforms, I feel compelled to display some kind of inspirational message of hope, love and living.  Often, I feel directed by the Creator, so in a way, I would say I am discovering myself and who I am along the journey.

3. OneFineG467 profile image61
    OneFineG467posted 5 years ago

When you are born u have no idea about yourself and the way things function around...as you grow you get absorbed by your parents, friends and teachers and you get an identity through them..at some point as your mind becomes more advanced you display curiosity to know more about the elements around you and what exactly are you when separated from everything that you got accustomed since childhood..once you get the satisfaction you want to focus on your goals for which you need to create yourself  in order to fit in it and excluding qualities that will not support your goal. I don't know at what age one gets to know himself truly it varies from person to person.

4. sugz profile image71
    sugzposted 5 years ago

why try? we are who we are, wether we try to be something or not..

we are each like a book full of blank pages... it is up to us to fill those pages each day to create a life worth sharing to others. once we have reached the end of one chapter, we begin another.. the book is only finished when we have ended our lives.. it is then that the information within this book is passed on to others or dismissed.. so, begin well with each day and create a memory for others to keep your book of life alive for many years after you have passed..

5. dghbrh profile image76
    dghbrhposted 5 years ago

It is important first to know the hidden inner personality for me. Personnel attributes are the strength to obtain if any other aim persists. First step is to strengthen the inner existing personality. Then it will be preferable to be to what one aspire to be.

6. UnnamedHarald profile image98
    UnnamedHaraldposted 5 years ago

Well, I hate to be the party pooper, but I have only created a tiny bit of myself and a tiny bit of that tiny bit is right here on HubPages. There is so much going on in daily life, the mundane day-to-day existence, the job that lets you live comfortably while sucking the life from your dreams, the people in your life that you consider before yourself, that there really is very little left to be creative about. Look at all those little kids. How many dream of sitting in a cubicle for 40 years? How many yearn to be dental assistants? How many many aspire to be accountants? And yet the world is full of adults doing important, soul-killing work. So, I create what I can when I can and I'm satisfied with that. When your life is not in your control, take secret satisfaction by stealing back even a little part of it. And never, never, never give up. Never.

Oh, and I've never figured out who I am either.

1. Darrell Roberts profile image70
      Darrell Robertsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Deep, I agree this world is sometime a real dream killer. It is such a hard fight to acomplish you dreams if you have to spend so much time on a job.

7. cherylone profile image92
    cheryloneposted 5 years ago

I think the answer to this question has to be--a little of both.  I create who I want to be by doing the things I love to do, but I have to know who I am to do them.

8. CBartelmey profile image78
    CBartelmeyposted 5 years ago

I think it has to be a little of both.  Certainly we are born from two parents and our genes alone will predisposition us to certain things over others, we are then raised by those parents whose own ideals will have some impact on the person we become.  All of that really is nothing we can change, it is what it is and it goes a long way into making us who we are.  On the other hand however, all along that process we have the power of free will to create from those circumstances who we want to be.  Mixing the best of those worlds into an ideal I guess would probably result in the end goal of becoming who you are, while at the same time maintaining who you want to be.