jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)

Will Vatican II succeed in uniting people of all religious faiths?

1. george looney profile image59
    george looneyposted 5 years ago

Will Vatican II succeed in uniting people of all religious faiths?

Do you believe in the Ecumenical Council of Vatican II of the Roman Catholic Church will unite all religious faiths? Will Catholics, Protestants, Jewish, Muslim peoples on earth respond to the invitation of the Pope, to unite all religious creeds, and reconcile their differences with one another thru a religious dialogue with various religious leaders and peoples? So that there may be peace on earth and genuine understanding among all people through religious discussion.

2. DAWNEMARS profile image60
    DAWNEMARSposted 5 years ago

That would be awesome indeed. Yet without the appearance of another "Jesus" I fear that without "Humanism" this will be impossible.

3. Rina Pinto profile image59
    Rina Pintoposted 5 years ago

Satan feels he is gonna succeed in this plan - but its for a while - Satan rules the Vatican dont forget this - The Illuminati, thus leading a make believe to all the faith thus leading them to false peace - The Catholic church. Go read the Book of Revelation well. Satan is  now roaring like a lion to get whom ever he gets on his way. An angle of light that he arrives as the anti-Christ to lead people astray. Wake up people all over the world .. your father of lies is around every corner of the world.

4. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 5 years ago

Whilst I hope that there is some day a religious dialogue between them all, I do hope that it is not because of the Vatican.
    I can't think of a good reason that an ex-Nazi youth leader could have to get them all together other than to push his beliefs onto them all.
    A push from the Vatican could also be a backwards step - the Pope is still very backward (in modern times) about a number of issues in the world now.

I'm all for a religious dialogue, but organised by someone else....not him

5. My Esoteric profile image90
    My Esotericposted 5 years ago

Not a chance in h*** that will happen.  Human beings are not built to accept this kind of outcome.  Even among Catholics you have a complete spectrum that goes from the far right who would like to bring back the inquisition to the far left who would like to consider allowing abortion, female priests, and marriage in the priesthood.  The Protestants are no different and neither is Islam.

Then you get to the wants of individuals who use religion for a power base and bring the faithful along with them.  No, I don't think humans are wired for this kind utopian idea ... unfortunately.

1. Mr. Happy profile image81
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I do not agree here Mr. Esoteric. Just because something has not been, in my mind it does not mean that something cannot be. Or because something is, that does not mean that that something will always be. Sort of like: "never say never" lol
      Cheers!

2. JimMiles profile image73
      JimMilesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@Mr. Happy (cont. fr another comment): If the goal is taking the Gospel into all the world, then you're better off advocating for the smallest possible units of organization (e.g., family churches; house churches), not the calcified institutions.

3. Mazzy Bolero profile image81
      Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I do agree with My Esoteric.  Religion often takes the place of the tribe.  By definition, your tribe has to be different from the others' tribe - it's a "them and us" situation.   Having everyone agree would defeat the object.

6. SwordofManticorE profile image81
    SwordofManticorEposted 5 years ago

No! What is the purpose of uniting all faiths? There are just too many differences. When you think about it, Christians alone have too many divisions in doctrines let alone outsiders.

1. Mr. Happy profile image81
      Mr. Happyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The purpose would be to Unite. That's the purpose of unity: unity. Out of which You get harmony, fluidity, peace, love, etc. Thus, we should talk about our perceived differences like addicts talk about their issues at AA meetings, if it's this bad ..

2. SwordofManticorE profile image81
      SwordofManticorEposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is no unity unless all believe in the same.

3. JimMiles profile image73
      JimMilesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

@SwordofManticoreE (cool name, btw) is asking the best question: unity to what end?
      @Mr. Happy, if peace is the end, you'd better go towards plurality, not unity. Let everyone teach and believe what they perceive to be reality.

7. JimMiles profile image73
    JimMilesposted 5 years ago

If you believe any good can come of attempting to unite the world on any ideology, but especially religious faith, I suggest you study the history of Western civilization. If you don't use force, you won't get free moral agents to abandon their perception of The Truth; many versions of that truth include rewards exclusive to those accepting that version of the truth. It's the genius of religious liberty: let every man and woman be convinced in their own mind. If you do use force, martyrdom only accelerates the splintering process of which the Dark Ages Inquisitions serves as a good case study. That's religious and political tyranny. It only tends toward reformation and revolution.

8. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 5 years ago

No, because religion is inherently divisive, and the Catholic Church has made moves for "peace" for a long time and yet is responsible for much violence. Sorry, these are the facts. There is no reconciling division; you either end division or not; including ending the division that religion is in and of itself.

9. Born2care2001 profile image73
    Born2care2001posted 5 years ago

In my humble opinion no. If we want to unite we can. The only requirement is the retirement of our dogmatic ego. Done! We are one. It's just a decision each human must make for themselves. In that view, it doesn't look promising. Then again, I recognize I am only in control of what I think. I'll leave the rest up to a higher source of being!
    Peace be with you!

10. skgrao profile image73
    skgraoposted 5 years ago

THE BRAMHA KUMARI ORGANIZATION IN Mt.ABU in INDIA  IS TRYING TO UNITE THE WHOLE WORLD WITH THEIR SLOGAN "One Religion One God One World".

11. soundtrack junkie profile image60
    soundtrack junkieposted 5 years ago

that would be nice but it's going to take a miracle for that to happen... the problem is, some faiths mix religion with politics

12. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

This is a really cool question. We can see in the question itself that the religions are bound to the here and now natural physical of this world. In a sense we are blessed to have this, even though it is generally antagonistic. The battle grounds of man are but testing grounds, and practice fields for the spiritual.
    In the spiritual we can have harmony and oneness. In fact that is generally how it works. The spiritual comes from God, the religions come from man.
    So the answer to the question you pose is obvious - No, not through religous discussion.

working