jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

An interesting question...

1. JakeFrost profile image61
    JakeFrostposted 5 years ago

An interesting question...

Prove to me that you are not just figments of my imagination...

(any answer you give, could have just been me imagining it... right?)

2. Attikos profile image79
    Attikosposted 5 years ago

The position that the world exists only in the mind is solipsism. The word has some unflattering secondary definitions as well, including one in the study of psychological disorders.

3. edhan profile image60
    edhanposted 5 years ago

A touch or a pinch may feel real at the moment but we are here in this world to learn about how we can return back into the spiritual world. It is only after centuries of learning the right way of enlightenment before we can stop ourselves being reincarnated again for the next life.

All these may just be our imagination as we journey through life after life.

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

To me, This would be considered a psychological disorder if one thinks this way. If they feel disconnected from their emotions and the world that is going on around them. I would think it would be considered as some type of psychosis.

5. SidKemp profile image95
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

Hi Jake:

On purely philosophical grounds, there is no way to prove that to anyone. There is no definition of reality, and no method of proof of reality, that anyone is externally required to accept. This is all explored in the field of philosophy, under ideas of subjectivity, objectivity (now considered passe), and inter-subjectivity.

On the other hand - can you prove to me that you are not a figment of my imagination? Of course not. Yet it is impossible that I am a figment of your imagination, and you are also a figment of mine.

This line of inquiry opens a profound question of human communications and spirituality. How does each person decide what is true? And if one person discovered some freeing, healing truth, how could it best be conveyed to others?

One answer I like is this: I cannot prove anything to you. But, if you are willing to work with me and experience life with me, you may decide, on your own terms, what Reality is, and be healed and made free of confusion and suffering. (That's what I offer, and it is grounded in the experience of meditation as taught by the Buddha.)

working