jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Are leaders of the church expected to live to higher standards than the rest of

1. Starr Poetress profile image63
    Starr Poetressposted 5 years ago

Are leaders of the church expected to live to higher standards than the rest of the church members?

Men and women that are leaders of the church, do you feel that they should live up to higher standers than the flock or should they be treated the same as the flock knowing that they will make mistakes too?

2. backporchstories profile image81
    backporchstoriesposted 5 years ago

Leaders in this capacity are always expected to have a clean image that matches that of the group.  However, this expectation can sometimes lead to disappointment for the people of whatever church.  Often, us average Joes, think our minister, preachers and priest are holy and perfect, when in reality they are average Joes, who have chosen to answered a calling.  They make choices and mistakes like anyone else.  They too are human and these kind of higher standards just sets up for big falls.  We all, leaders or flock should always strive to live to the standard God has ask of us.  No less and no more.

Starr Poetressposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I understand that they make mistakes but this pastor in Ga had been sleeping around on his wife, promising things to these women that would encourage depletion of their bank accounts, food stamps, buy him cars and such, in addition spread HIV

3. royalblkrose profile image60
    royalblkroseposted 5 years ago

the Word, admonishes us not to be teachers.... (while we're talking about church leadership here.- the same rule still applies...)
    James 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.

I know that the pastor of my church wants to be held accountable to the Word, and invites us, his parishioners to keep him accountable.

If the leadership is behaving the same way as the flock, how can you tell who the leader is?

Starr Poetressposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I was reading about a pastor of his church that  cheated on his wife and spreading HIV virus at the same time, do you think he should ousted from his position, the church, and/or both?

2. royalblkrose profile image60
      royalblkroseposted 5 years agoin reply to this

well, he should definitely step down from his position, and leave this particular congregation,  and if he is serious about wanting to serve the Lord, he should  find a congregation, and be a LAYMAN

4. bangell08 profile image70
    bangell08posted 5 years ago

I think that most of the time, people hold church leaders up to a higher standard and expect them to be perfect or nearly perfect, though of course we all know that this isn't possible.  Like everyone is saying, they really are just "Average Joes".  However, they have been called by God to lead people and affect people's lives.  No one wants to listen to someone who seems to be a hypocrite - this is the biggest reason that people reject Christianity. 

While it may not be fair to expect church leaders to be perfect (because they can't be perfect), I think that it is fair to hold them to high standards.  Everyone makes mistakes and everyone sins, but it is dangerous for church leaders when those sins and mistakes interfere with their purpose - to rely the message of God to others, hopefully resulting in a reaction of heart or mind.  It is at that point that I think the church leaders need to examine their lives and their relationships with God - in some cases, they may need to step down. Again, this is not about whether they are "perfect" or "good" or even if they measure up to standards - it is about how their actions may be affecting others.  Church leaders have a lot of responsibility; I don't think it's a question of level of standard so much as level of impact on others.

That said, church members affect other people as well; there is a lot of risk involved in being a Christian, not just in being a church leader. The standard across the board should be the standards laid out in the Bible. So, the question really is: do our standards in the church match up with the standards in the Bible?

5. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 5 years ago

Yes. But they should feel this before becoming leaders. To many Masters and too few disciples. The leader should be like we are taught in business. Examplary. I know and if you search hard I am sure that you know that many sincere Souls have been affected in a negative way by 'leaders' of their flock.
    Be wise, be careful, watch and pray, leaders included here.