jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What are the Christian Birth Control Options?

1. youcanwin profile image79
    youcanwinposted 5 years ago

What are the Christian Birth Control Options?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

There are plenty of Christians who use birth control every day - there are only certain ones who believe that birth control is a no-no and they are in the minority.  In the Catholic church where I was raised allegedly no birth control was allowed... women today use it anyway as the rule is nonsense and most of us know it.  I am no longer affiliated with any religion, but most people will do what best serves their lives.  It makes no sense to have child after child after child because of some doctrine, particularly if you are not well equipped to care for those children.  I have a relative who is a case in point her and her husband are absolutely in poverty, have been homeless and won't stop breeding because its a "gift from God".  I'm sure the 8 children and counting don't feel all the blessed at being homeless off and on and destitute.  She's a good reason why religions should get out of personal decisions as irresponsible people can use that as an excuse to bring children into the world they can't possibly care for.  She can't take care of these kids but she smokes a pack a day - where is the religious doctrine telling her she can't do that? Women's bodies should be under their control - not a religion or church.

3. Porshadoxus profile image78
    Porshadoxusposted 5 years ago

I also think the Catholic church has too much interference in that aspect of life. I am a Christian (Protestant), and I see no problem with using The Pill or Condoms. Just be aware of the hormonal changes that could result from using The Pill.

The Catholic Church teaches that birth control is a no-no, but they also teach that you can avoid sex during peak fertility times to avoid having children. Seems to me that's the same goal, just a different method to reaching the goal.

Also, since God is all-powerful, He can certainly get past any measures we take.

4. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Abstinence is the most taught. Which is a laugh. Where abstinence is taught as a birth control, pregnancy rates are higher. However, birth control pills are the most commonly used. Sometimes these are to control hormones. Even so, it is still the most popular and has been used by Christian families for years.

5. Ceegen profile image80
    Ceegenposted 5 years ago

It takes a strong willed person to withhold themselves from even just wanting to give in to the driving urge to procreate. Because of that, to those of you who actually do live celibate lives, I applaud you.

Aside from that, there is no other way to do it without sinning. Just pray for help in your struggles, and ask for forgiveness every time you sin... Because when it comes to this, you're going to sin. A lot.

6. Jonesy0311 profile image58
    Jonesy0311posted 5 years ago

They are the same as are available to the rest of us. You are a free citizen of the world. Don't align your behavior with an ancient book of myths and legends.