jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Is putting Bible verses duplicating?

1. RogerSanchezJr profile image73
    RogerSanchezJrposted 5 years ago

Is putting Bible verses duplicating?

I just had my first duplicate even though I don't see another pages that have my "writing".

2. BlossomSB profile image92
    BlossomSBposted 5 years ago

People writing on HubPages are often quoting and I don't see how you could substantiate a point if you don't quote a specific text you are discussing. I suppose that it could be seen as duplicating if you quoted lots of texts.

3. workingmomwm profile image85
    workingmomwmposted 5 years ago

Yes. This has been asked and answered:

http://dreamjar.hubpages.com/question/1 … n-hubpages

The key, it seems, if you're using a lot of scripture in one hub, is to paraphrase a large chunk of it, and only make about 10% (less, if possible) of your total hub direct quotes (of ANY kind...standard non-plagiarism rules).

The issue isn't if other pages are duplicating yours... HP sees you as duplicating other pages because of the quotes. Just try to paraphrase more, and see what happens. Good luck!

RogerSanchezJrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much.  I am still learning!  I appreciate your help!

4. Homesteading profile image60
    Homesteadingposted 5 years ago

Was dumbfounded when this happened to me.  Did not understand.  Wrote and questioned the situation.  They passed it through, with the promise from me to paraphrase or remove the quote all together.  Guess this is what makes HP unique in their own special way, I reckon.  Despite the fact that it killed my hub all together.  I don't get it myself ...

5. Dreamjar profile image77
    Dreamjarposted 5 years ago

I had a similar issue where I was writing a commentary about the book of Matthew.  I had put a large number verses into the article and then commented on each.  At this point I was rejected for duplicating.  The ratio of my words to verses was at the point about 1:1.  I went back in and put in links to the verses that were not as critical as others instead of including them completely.  By the time I was done my ratio was more of a 2:1 and it cleared.  Here is a link to my page so you can see wht I did.
    http://dreamjar.hubpages.com/hub/How-I- … -Testament

6. Buzzbee profile image76
    Buzzbeeposted 5 years ago

There is a great Hub by Relache I believe, addressing this question.

What I would say is this:

The Word of God is not in the same category of the words of ANY other book.

It is Revelation. It is from God. As such it is not of human inspiration or origin. It is of God.

Therefore it falls outside all other types of text. It is in a category all it's own.

It cannot be fiddled with, altered or re-written, or it should not be. If you are quoting the Bible you are quoting the Bible and that means word for word (depending on the translation this will vary) and you don't have to nor should you re-write it to make it pass the "duplicate content" check by Google or anyone else.

Bible quotes should be 'cited' of course.

But they should not be considered duplicate content--in my opinion.

7. Perspycacious profile image83
    Perspycaciousposted 5 years ago

The same just happened to me after a long effort of putting differing Bible translations where the reader could see the differences.  Sad result from a lot of work.  Be aware, if you enter such quotes, it won't be published.

8. James-wolve profile image80
    James-wolveposted 5 years ago

Yes,Workingmomwm is right.You can solve that problem by putting FOOTNOTES down your hub to show from which version you quote.

9. rdlang05 profile image87
    rdlang05posted 5 years ago

One good way of fixing this is just linking to the verse or quote.

RogerSanchezJrposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!

10. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 5 years ago

If you publish a hub, you will be told if it is a duplicate or not. As long as you add at least 50 of your own words, it is not considered a duplicate anyway.