jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How were pyramids built?

1. hulah cagen profile image59
    hulah cagenposted 4 years ago

How were pyramids built?

2. relawshe profile image73
    relawsheposted 4 years ago

After studying the Old Testament of the Bible, which describes how the Israelite people (ancestors of Jews) were in slavery in Egypt for over 300 years, I believe that the pyramids could have likely been at least partially built by the ancient Hebrews, as slaves.

Here's some examples of the time period when the Israelites were slaves and could've possibly built the pyramids:

"During that long period, the king of Egypt died. The Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God."--Exodus 2:23

"The Lord said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers, and I am concerned about their suffering."--Exodus 3:7

“Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Lord, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment."--Exodus 6:6

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery."--Exodus 20:2 

I know that I'm mostly answering the question of "who" built the pyramids, rather than the "how," but I also think that the pyramids were most likely built by hand, the large stones being put into place by ropes & pulleys, especially considering that the Israelites were in slavery for 300 years, and there were a few MILLION of them!  I think given enough time and hands, which they had, that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that they could've been built by hand.

**This was a great question, by the way!**

1. JMcFarland profile image87
      JMcFarlandposted 4 years agoin reply to this

there's only one small problem.  There is nothing to indicate that the Hebrews were ever enslaved in Egypt at all, and historians are beginning to question whether Hebrews (at least in the numbers depicted in the Bible) were ever there at all.

2. relawshe profile image73
      relawsheposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm assuming that, JMcFarland, when you say there's "nothing" to indicate that the Hebrews were ever enslaved in Egypt, that you're dismissing all of the Old Testament quotes I quoted above?

3. taburkett profile image59
    taburkettposted 4 years ago

one large rock at a time by brilliant engineers using slave power.

4. profile image50
    Halle Louposted 4 years ago

I'm guessing you're referring to Egyptian pyramids? It is something of a mystery because the time period during which the pyramids were supposed to have been built is fairly short compared to the estimated time to build something on this scale if it were done ... one rock at a time, as suggested by taburkett. They had no machines to bring the rocks (where did the rocks come from - it's a desert!) or shape them or arrange them ...would have required more than the entire population at that time to be engaged in this work.

5. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

A mammothly arrogant pharoah with pathalogically grandiose ideas of his own importance and how he should be memorialized ruled over some 20,000 to 30,000 slave laborers for some 23 years.

6. JimTxMiller profile image79
    JimTxMillerposted 4 years ago

One brick at a time----------------------------------------------!

7. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

The evidence that the pyramids were linked to astrology is overwhelming now. So I do believe they had a purpose beyond a grand tomb for a pharaoh. And there are quarries near the pyramids that indicate where the rock was taken from. The great mystery seems to be how they transported such enormous rock from point A to point B and then lifted it up. Slave labor was undoubtedly used, but there is a limit to human strength, regardless of how many people you use. There are many theories out there, some as wild as alien intervention, but we don't seem to have cracked it yet. But, given the pyramids' age, it's very likely that the evidence that would give us the answer has long since faded away.