jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

If Jesus was without sin why did he not cast the first stone?

1. Joe Cook profile image59
    Joe Cookposted 4 years ago

If Jesus was without sin why did he not cast the first stone?

Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".  No one cast a stone.  Considering Jesus was without ANY sin, why did he not cast the first stone?

2. Jack Burton profile image83
    Jack Burtonposted 4 years ago

It's easy to get confused when you stop reading before then end of the story...

At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery.  In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

“No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

There was no longer any reason for anyone to "cast a stone" since the woman was no longer under any condemnation. God had forgiven her sins.

3. profile image0
    CalebSparksposted 4 years ago

He was teaching the pharisees and surrounding people a lesson about mercy. The purpose of His first coming to this earth was a mission of mercy. He sacrificed Himself for the sins of the world. However, upon His second return, He will come on a mission of judgment.

4. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

I'm no Bible buff, but I do remember it saying, " Vengence is mine, sayeth the Lord". So for Jesus to throw the first stone, wouldn't he be taking God's law into his own hands, rather than to obey God's words. Sounds like a sin to me. Jesus was without sin and wanted to stay that way. Sorry my answer isn't very eloquent.

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 4 years ago

Because according to scripture he came not to judge. It was the others judging her, not him.

John 12:47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

working