jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Have you ever learned something at church that was not in the bible?

1. Christa Swope profile image36
    Christa Swopeposted 4 years ago

Have you ever learned something at church that was not in the bible?

Name something that you might have learned at church that is a tradition rather than something in the bible.

2. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 4 years ago

at my church , no. all the teachings so far have been directly from the bible. we are a come as you are kind of church. no rules (unless illegal of course), no certain way to dress, not even having different beliefs. we welcome atheists, muslims and all if they want to attend. i havent actually seen any muslims, but have seen atheists at the Christmas service because its awesome.except for the singing at the beginning its almost like taking bible lessons.

3. lone77star profile image82
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

Plenty!

I grew up the grandson of a Southern Baptist minister, but found the need to move beyond their limiting beliefs by the time I was 9.

Trinity is one concept not found in the Bible. God is the Father. Christ is the Son (not the same thing). Holy Spirit or Ghost is the true self -- that which God is trying to rescue -- brothers to Christ. The way most pastors teach trinity, these concepts are mangled.

I've also been taught in church that reincarnation is not a biblical concept. This is not true. Jesus made this clear when he told his disciples that Elijah had indeed returned, but that people did not recognize him (Elijah); and the disciples knew he was speaking of John the Baptist.

Hebrews 9:27 has nothing to do with reincarnation. Of course each body lives only once, but the immortal spirit lives forever, sometimes with many different bodies. I've had hundreds. I remember one of them as clearly as this one. That was 11,632 years ago.

Most people's biblical interpretation (if not all) is NOT in the Bible. It's their interpretation which is separate from God's Truth. That's why we all need to remain humble and ever hungry for His loving answers.

4. Disappearinghead profile image78
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

Yes many things:
    - The Christian tithe is an unbiblical man made rule
    - Satan is not some rebellious angel that leads hoards of demons, but is simply a generic Hebrew term that describes any angel sent by God under his authority that opposes men.
    - that God will set people on fire in hell for eternity is a pagan concept adopted by the church to instil fear and mind control.

working