jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Do you believe in fatalism?

1. Random Facts profile image59
    Random Factsposted 3 years ago

Do you believe in fatalism?

the belief that all events are predetermined and therefore inevitable.

2. JustinWd profile image59
    JustinWdposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not. I don't believe this because I don't believe that there's anyone or thing out there that would/could plan all these events. It seems ridiculous for every action of every single organism on this huge planet be planned or even controlled in any way.

3. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

I believe in fore-ordination, not predestination. For example. Jeremiah 1: 5 "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations."

Jeremiah was ordained to be a prophet before he was born, but Got gives us free will. He still could have rejected his calling and not become a prophet.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You are absolutely correct

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I would say that most (if not all) atheists and agnostics do not believe in fatalism. Without a deity guiding the creation of the Earth, it doesn't make sense that anything else would govern what is happening now. It suggests a higher power at work, even if it's not god, and in general we don't believe in stuff like that.

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 3 years ago

Absolutely not !
    We can and do bring about all the events in our lives.
    There within us is the spark of God that causes us to want to attain a better life.
    But it is our decision to either make our dreams come true or not.

We make the choices and a lot of people settle for what they think they can get, instead of working to make their lives exactly what they want.

People like to blame their problems on something else, instead of taking responsibility, so they claim their lives and their circumstances were predestined.

6. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

In the physical realm, while we are slaves to ego, yes! Fatalism, because of the mechanical nature of this action-reaction universe.

But when we shrug off ego (the source of all evil) and love our enemies as ourselves, then we heal the world. This will cut short the suffering. This will bring us all together as one. When there is no self-concern, there are no limitations.

7. S T Alvyn profile image75
    S T Alvynposted 3 years ago

Fate exists whether you wish to acknowledge it or not. often we may not even realize fate is playing a hand in what is transpiring and that is how it is meant to be. Fate is different from destiny; it is merely  Destiny's master, creating events or coincidences that lead us towards our destiny.

Although we may be on the at path it doesn't mean we have to accept our destiny or acknowledge it, however, fate still does its job and then the rest is our choice. We have possible outcomes and probable ones. The appearance of fate is only really realized in hindsight, usually many years later.