jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Does forgiveness mean allowing someone to hurt or harm you repeatedly?

1. profile image53
    Peacefullposted 3 years ago

Does forgiveness mean allowing someone to hurt or harm you repeatedly?

The bible says turn the other cheek. It also says we have to forgive in order for our Father in Heaven to forgive us. How do you end a cycle of mistreatment without it being considered unforgiveness?

2. Snøwman profile image59
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

Jesus said love your enemies, but he never said you shouldn't have enemies. You can forgive someone and still not trust them.

3. definitions profile image59
    definitionsposted 3 years ago

That's not forgiveness, that is omitting to take action!

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I believe you can forgive people every time they wrong you, but it doesn't mean you have to keep putting yourself in the situation to be constantly harmed by that person. Take domestic abuse as an example. A woman can forgive her abuser for what he's done and not keep telling a lot of other people about how mean he was and so on. That's forgiveness. But she doesn't have to stay in the relationship in order to demonstrate that forgiveness. In a situation like this it's time to say I forgive you but you'll never get another chance to do it again.

1. Faithful Daughter profile image84
      Faithful Daughterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you Sheila. Forgiveness does not mean one has to stay in an abusive situation.

5. pattyfloren profile image78
    pattyflorenposted 3 years ago

You can forgive, but you shouldn't let someone continuously mistreat you.

6. profile image0
    temptor94posted 3 years ago

Forgiving means to not seek revenge. It doesn't mean tolerating abuse. If someone continuously hurts or harms us, that person should be exposed for what he/she is, and we should completely disassociate themselves from such a person. Have absolutely no interaction and nothing else to do with that person.

1. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think you summed it up perfectly in the first two sentences.

7. AshleyTamarra profile image61
    AshleyTamarraposted 3 years ago

I believe forgiveness is a sign of closure. Forgive and move on. Forgiveness should never be taken as weakness and a window of opportunity for someone to hurt/harm you again. Whatever they did to initially require your forgiveness should be enough for you to leave them be.