jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Homosexuality vs. Heterosexual adultery in Book of Leviticus

1. John Sarkis profile image84
    John Sarkisposted 3 years ago

Homosexuality vs. Heterosexual adultery in Book of Leviticus

Leviticus 20/13 and 20/11 give the same punishment for both.  And yet, even though there are considerably much more heterosexuals in the world than homosexuals, preacher bash homosexuals many more times than they do hetero-adultery.  Surely enough, hetero-adultery is more common than homosexuality...  E. Durkheim (the most intuitive of atheist philosophers) says it's all about the buddy system - i.e., most people in church are hetero, so it's easier to attack homos - the them vs us concept in sociology.  Your take?

2. profile image0
    SirDentposted 3 years ago

Any preacher worth his salt will preach against adultery and fornication also.  It isn't about us verses them, it is about living as God expects us to live.

3. Robert the Bruce profile image60
    Robert the Bruceposted 3 years ago

In American society, it's much easier to rail against homosexuality than adultery. The preacher knows that most of the people listening to him don't have any leanings toward it and he will receive some hearty "Amens" if he really works himself into a lather. I've seen this firsthand.

Science is slowly discovering more about the mechanics of homosexuality. It's a fact that homosexuality is practiced among many types of animals. It's not so simple as to say that "They made a choice to reject god." In time science will uncover more.

The bottom line is that most preachers (and most Christians) don't know enough about homosexuality to hold a relevant and scientifically-based conversation with you. It's all about condemning THAT group of people so they feel better about how they themselves are living. I was one of those condemning people in the past...when I was ignorant of the subject.

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Said perfectly!

4. TwerkZerker profile image92
    TwerkZerkerposted 3 years ago

I really love the point you brought up!

True, lust (of any sort) and homosexual acts are sinful, but I think that sometimes people try to act as if one sin is "better", or in this case, "worse" than another.

Romans 6:23 makes it plain when Paul writes "For the wages of sin is death". He doesn't say "For the wages of *homosexual sin* is death". Paul wasn't talking about a *particular* sin (or group of sins); he was talking about ALL sin. ANY sin, regardless of how few times committed or how seemingly insignificant it is in the eyes of men is enough to separate us from God. God's standard is perfection--not just "good enough".

I like to see churches being honest about scripture. Far too many have compromised their morals, abandoned church doctrine, and polluted/contorted scripture with regard to the issue of homosexuality--some even actively supporting and endorsing what scripture has clearly defined to be sinful!

But it also really pains me when some other churches constantly rag on homosexuality...as if to somehow minimize other sins by doing so. Sin isn't a spectrum: there isn't "understandable sin" and "everyone else's really bad sin". There is just sin. If you've sinned, you're a sinner; if you haven't sinned, you're Jesus.

I guarantee nobody reading this is Jesus! LOL!

It's sad how these churches focus on homosexuality but almost never give equal consideration to the sinfulness of lust (as it would apply to heterosexuals), adultery, premarital sex, and divorce performed for reasons other than unfaithfulness.

I guess it makes the majority uncomfortable to be reminded that they're every bit as guilty before God, too?

And the end of the day, we've all sinned. We've all fallen short of the glory of God, and we all need a Savior. Man alone cannot live up to God's standard of perfection--it's only by grace, repentance, and forgiveness that we can be made right with Him.

If anything, we as the Church should be lovingly pointing gay people to the Savior they need (just as we need him)!

Very intriguing question!

1. John Sarkis profile image84
      John Sarkisposted 3 years agoin reply to this

- Well said!  I'm a Christian, though I adhere to Kierkegaardian Christianity i.e., I want to know on my own terms, because no matter what, our existance is subjective; I love Christ!  ...sin is sin, but one shouldn't be worse/better than other...

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
      MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

"The wages of sin is death" itself sparks another question. Death of what, the body (as in execution by man) or as in death of the soul (by God)?
      I've seen theologians debate this.