This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

All disciples of Jesus Christ are christians, but are all christians true discip

1. profile image69
    graceinusposted 3 years ago

All disciples of Jesus Christ are christians, but are all christians true disciples?

What does it take to be a true disciple? And why do many who state they are christians never call themselves or see themselves as disciples? How many times have you heard some say; I am a disciple of Jesus Christ? Many call themselves Bishop, Pastor, Prophet and other things, but never a disciple. Why?
    Isn't a true follower of Christ a disciple?

2. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 3 years ago

Good question, graceinus.

No! Most are not true disciples.

What it takes to be a true disciple is to love others as yourself, without any self-concern, wishing for them everything that they desire, even if it is for them to slap your face (turn the other cheek).

When you can convert ego's desires to those of bestowal -- receiving for the benefit of others -- then you are on the right path (walking with God).

When you combine this love with fearless confidence, utter humility and perfect responsibility, then you have everything you need to spread the word.

1. celafoe profile image61
      celafoeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

i cant agree that wishing for anyone to receive everything they desire.   Scripture says He will provide all our needs not desire.    Many have been destroyed because they got  their "desires" which were not of God.

2. profile image69
      graceinusposted 3 years agoin reply to this

lone77star- I agree that most are not rue disciples, however, I don't no where "wishing" fits here. And a agree with celafoe regarding his comment on desire.  And why turn the other cheek if you already got what you wished  for. Thanks

3. David Christian profile image60
      David Christianposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, I tend to agree that God would not grant us every desire we might capriciously have, but there is this: Psalms 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

4. PlanksandNails profile image84
      PlanksandNailsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

David,
      When we are "in the Lord," our desires are His desires.

5. David Christian profile image60

Planks, that sounds very nice, but excuse me if I happen to notice that, despite my agreement that God's will is perfect, God has given me a soul that, on occasion, has an independent desire. Just the other day I had the urge to eat dark chocolate.

6. profile image69

We must be careful with regards to the desires of the heart. The things which we desire is what seperates the citizens of the Kingdom of God and pew-warmers of churches.

3. connorj profile image75
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11881717_f260.jpg

Absolutely not. Very few Christians are disciples of God. For most it is indeed a part-time pursuit to try to be disciple-like. Yet a pursuit that falls significantly short of ever coming close to being a disciple.
    Perhaps the closest example of a true disciple of God would be an excellent (Saint-like) Priest or Nun. I know this will not be a popular answer yet I truly think it is an accurate one.
    Now indeed there are other more scattered examples of Christians that are disciple-like. I would define those as people who devote their whole existence and time to carry out His will and complete it with selfless  motives one specifically void of financial concern. Few indeed accomplish being a disciple ( I would indeed be one that fails) few even consider it necessary, although it may indeed be required...

1. profile image69

connorj- Thank you for your answer and insight. I do believe we should be as much like Jesus was/is as possible. True discipleship does require that we give up on all worldly things as we should seek the Kingdom of God and His Righteousness. Thanks.

4. David Christian profile image60
    David Christianposted 3 years ago

We start out on the same foot, when we make a declaration of faith and say that we wish that Jesus Christ be our Lord and Savior. But the next step is what separates the pew warmers and false teachers from the disciples. Many never make the transition into discipleship after making a public declaration of faith. True disciples should be in constant prayer and communion with the Holy Spirit and with other disciples; be sharing their testimony and serving as an ambassador of God and Christ, exhorting others to be reconciled to God through Christ; be searching the scriptures prayerfully to learn more of God's will and views, grow into Christ, and adapt more to God's righteousness; and seek God's will with regard to their life, in general, with regard to whatever they do, and with regard to some ministry to which they should dedicate themselves. If we do not follow Christ, who is our example, and do the things he said we should do, I do not see how we could consider ourselves to be disciples of his.

1. profile image69

David_ Thank you very much for your answer. I would further add that seeking the Kingdom of God should be foremost in discipleship. Again thanks.

2. David Christian profile image60

I suppose that just about all I mentioned previously was with regard to the kingdom.

5. PlanksandNails profile image84
    PlanksandNailsposted 3 years ago

A true Christian is the representation and the citizen of the Kingdom of God. They, just like Jesus Christ desire to do the will of the Father. They are among the Ekklesia whom Jesus Christ created as living stones who are temples of the Holy Spirit.

The man-made "Christian" within the four walls of man-made temples called church are merely a religious label.They are the minions of the salaried-to-serve class who instruct and indoctrinate those into the traditions of man. These religious pew-warmers called "Christians" are the disciples of men because they allow and support the salaried "Bishop, Pastor and Prophet" of the clergy class to be their mediators instead of Jesus Christ.

The true disciples of Jesus Christ are Christians who are led by the One True Shepherd in the Kingdom of God.

The true disciples of the salaried-to-serve clergy class call themselves "Christians," but they are man-made religious labels who are led within the four-walled kingdoms of men called church.

1. profile image69

PandN- True disciple of Jesus Christ are the ekklesia and as such, they are, as you mentioned, citizen of His Kingdom. The pew-warmer disciples seek church of men. In all cases we need to be careful about "what" is the desire of our hearts. Thank you

working