Christians; how would you define 'mocking' of your beliefs?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (20 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image86
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

Christians; how would you define 'mocking' of your beliefs?

As an atheist who often participates in religious discussions, I try to be polite as much as I can. Though I get the impression that things might be coming out wrong from time to time. I often hear that some Christians (or other theists) dislike when atheists 'mock' their beliefs. And, I'm curious what sort of responses you would consider to be 'mocking'. Obviously name calling is a direct attack, so I'm more curious about subtler instances.

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 9 years ago

Basically, anyone saying that the stories of the bible are fairytales, and that Christians are narrow-minded, can't think for themselves, and brainwashed, and stupid for believing it.  Some call the bible an outdated book, and criticize it by saying it is silly and full of contradictions...some call God names, say that Jesus was a crazy man if He even existed at all.  But mostly, calling our belief stupid.  Saying we don't think is a personal attack.  I have read some hubs and comments on here that I consider blasphemy.

1. cathylynn99 profile image75
      cathylynn99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

i wouldn't call god names or say jesus is crazy or that you are stupid, but the other criticisms you're allergic to are spot on. the christian god has some unpleasant characteristics. he ordered genocide and raped mary, for example.

2. Niko Linni profile image78
      Niko Linniposted 9 years agoin reply to this

cathylynn well that depends on how you define rape. For instance we don't see Mary actually saying "Well no, I don't want this to happen!" Rape has to be forced, ja? But I wouldn't say with those you're being disrespectful.

3. profile image0
      Stargrrlposted 9 years agoin reply to this

God asked Mary's permission before He impregnated her; She allowed it, so it cannot be rape.

4. Link10103 profile image61
      Link10103posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is there a reason an explanation for genocide was just skipped over...twice? And I highly doubt god would have cared if Mary had said no.

5. Robert the Bruce profile image59
      Robert the Bruceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"God asked Mary's permission?" Stargirl, where do you find this information? Certainly not from the Bible.

6. profile image0

Indeed.  Mary said, "I am the handmaiden of the Lord.  Let it be done to me..."  She could have said no, and I think the Lord would have respected that and chosen someone else, I really do.

7. Link10103 profile image61

Rape part has been covered 3 times.
      Genocide part has been ignored 3 times.
      I guess rape is worse than the near eradication of the human race. Learn something new everyday...

8. profile image0

Regarding genocide, God can do what He wants with whatever He creates.  It is also said that the people he wiped out were evil, and turned away from Him.

9. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Stargirl, you ASSUME that Mary "could have said no." But don't you think an angel blinding you with heavenly light and TELLING YOU that you will be impregnated is quite traumatic? Bottom line is that "God" TOLD her what he was going to do.

10. profile image0

You assume that the presence of an angel would be traumatic...have you ever seen a real angel?  How could you know?  I am sure God knew Mary would acquiesce before He asked, and that was why He chose her.

11. Robert the Bruce profile image59

Look, I can see that you are assuming a lot. I understand that that's how Christians have to operate. When you come up to a problem, you assume that "God must have found a way to do it." Which of course is unprovable and unaccountable.

12. profile image0

All I am saying is that God is all-knowing, and that He chose Mary because He knew she would say yes.  God knows everything we're going to do before we do it.

13. Link10103 profile image61

Mmm, so every man, woman, child, and unborn child was evil during the time of the flood and deserved to die. How convenient.

Constantly amazes me how multiple people on this site have justified genocide comitted by god with that same exact logic.

14. profile image0

God knew what was in everyone's heart, so He probably could foresee that infants were going to grow up and be evil.

15. Link10103 profile image61

So rather than change them and make them good, being an all powerful deity and all, god said screw it and killed off a bunch of babies he originally made and knew would turn out evil before he even made them.

This still makes sense to you? Scary.

16. profile image0

God's not going to change people; He gave them free will to do what they wanted--follow Him or not.

17. Link10103 profile image61

And choosing not to follow him somehow warrants annihilation, yet he still is all loving and caring.

These are the kind of questions and answers that arise when things are logically thought through. Its no wonder questioning faith is frowned upon...

3. Niko Linni profile image78
    Niko Linniposted 9 years ago

I'd pretty much agree with what Stargrrl said. It's mainly in how you say things. You try your best to be polite, so I'm pretty sure you don't say anything mocking. For me, it's really how you say it versus what you're saying. For instance, if you talked about the harm religion can do, but while doing so you refer to religion or religious practices in a demeaning or even sarcastic manner, that could be seen as mocking. I'd say it's really all about the tone. If you're not aiming to be mocking, you most likely won't be mocking.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)