Why do Christians think they have a monopoly on religion?

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (183 posts)
  1. lucieanne profile image68
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

I have recently posted a comment on someone's hub where I said that I didn't agree with their ideas, giving my own reasons for my own beliefs. I was polite and courteous, I didn't use any bad language and I thought I put up a strong case for a healthy debate. After all my hard work she denied approval so I never got a chance to see how other people would have reacted to my comments. It reeks of 'It's my way. or no way' What's your thoughts?

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes it is my way or no way. And so what? Maybe the comment you left that got ignored will give you a base for a Hub of your own, a way to speak your mind to a broader audience.

Don't take any of this crap personally...just go be you and learn from the experiences of others.

And at the same time, if you want to have a healthy debate, consider some forum other than Religion & Philosophy or Religion and Beliefs.

lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I only visited her page because I checked out someone who commented on one of my hubs. He had also commented on one of hers and I wanted to see what he had to say. When I read her hub and all the comments others had written I thought I'd add my own. She obviously didn't like what I had to say (probably too near the truth than she wanted to hear) I just feel that these so-called Christians who are so eager to preach chapter and verse, and insist all us 'non believers' are gonna burn in the fires of hell for all eternity, should get over themselves. If they want to believe in what I consider to be a fairy story, thats up to them, but I don't need some self-righteous hypocrite telling me I'm a lost soul.

1. aguasilver profile image70
          aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why not?

I mean what difference does it make to you if someone tells you you are a lost soul, when you don't believe what they believe?

Folk tell me lot's of things that they think are bad for me, that I should stop doing, and if I receive their comments, I change, if I don't accept what they say, I ignore them.

I don't try to silence them.

I personally never deny any comment to my pages, controversial opinions are good for raising the profile of the page, but I understand if someone does not want comments that vary from their opinion, like someone else's said, just write a rebuttal hub, posting a link to the hub you disagree with.

John

1. Dave Barnett profile image56
            Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Besides, if you just want people to agree start a new movement.

2. the pink umbrella profile image73
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im interested to know who denied your approval. does it rhym with "tree choffman?" Because that one never lets anyone with a strong contridiction hurt her harshly driven points. I agree with you fully and completely. My comment was denied too by someone who said the next antichrist will be muslim.  When really, if they actually read their own big book, supposedly the antichrist will be roman. I didnt like this hubber using recent fear of a race to get others to agree with her, and she denied my 2nd comment to make it look like her words shut me up. Funny how someone so devout cant make their point when up against sheer logic.

Yep. the one and the same, and funnily enough, she's denied my second one too. I just wrote a small comment saying that if she was such a devout 'Christian' did she believe that Jesus would have turned his back on my comment the way she had, or would he have tried to make me see the error of my ways? Denied publication of course. This is what makes me sick about these bunch of self righteous hypocrites. They're for ever preaching chapter and verse about how we will go to hell for not believing, but they won't stand up and be counted for their own shortcomings

1. the pink umbrella profile image73
          the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i had all kinds of facts for her, and since she did not publish my comment, i published a whole entire hub on the subject. I of course got a slew of religeous lash backs, but it was to be expected. Nothing stirs the pot like religeon. I just dont understand why they all think they are right and everyone else is wrong. I think its horrible to do the right thing just because your afraid that if you dont you'll go to hell. Id much rather be a person who does the right thing because its the right thing to do. anyway, i have heard things about the one in which we speak. She has friends, and if you are not careful, you can have an entire hub population turned against you. I advide you to stay away from that page. Arguing with her will only make you fruterated anyway, and you never know who's pledged their weirdo hub allegance to her.

Thanks for the advice Pink umbrella. I won't be visiting her page again, she has nothing to say that would interest me in the slightest. Like I said in one of my earlier comments, I only happened upon her page because someone had left a remark on one of my hubs and I wanted to check out what he was about. He had posted a comment on her hub so I just happened to read it out of curiosity (isn't that how word spreads) Anyway, if she want's to get her so called 'Christian' fans to turn against me, (very Christian-like) I won't lose any sleep over it. They're not the ones doing the clicking on my ads. I was thinking of doing that too - writing a hub about how I see things.

2. profile image0
          Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Umm..
          That Hubber said she's gotten hate mail and threats from people.
          And she has the right to deny any comments to her hubs.
          And from your scathing words about her in your posts here, it's obvious you only went to her hubs to start trouble.....so why are you now whining about your comments being denied?

I might have known you'd jump in on the act Brenda, I've seen your posts before. How exactly do you know who we are talking about? For your information I haven't sent any 'hate mail' to her, or anyone else, it's not my style. If she had published my comment you would have seen for yourself. are you not familiar with the saying 'people in glass houses should not throw stones'? This religion issue is not all one-way traffic you know. I have as much right to believe what I want as you (and the person in question) have to believe what you want. I just dont go around telling everyone who will listen that they will not be 'saved' if they don't do things my way. And if people don't want comments leaving on their hubs, why bother writing them in the first place. I'm really not surprised that this person gets hate mail and threats, some people are not as 'reserved' as me in their replies. To ridicule someone and tell them they are quote; 'So wrong' is not a very good 'Christian' attitude to take, and I'm sure J.C wouldn't have dealt with the situation in this way. You bible bashers are always quick to pull people up on our flaws. It's about time you turned it on yourselves. Plank and spell springs to mind!!!

2. wilmiers77 profile image59
        wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Pink Umbrella, logic is bound to the material world. God is a Spirit. A relationship with God is Spiritual with manifestations in the natural world. It's  fallacious to believe that the Trinity must be logically proven. When the life of the Word Of God comes to you, all mysteries shall be answered. You will start crying and hugging Christians and most Others.

Just because the disciples Peter and Paul have produced a form of Christianity that is palatable to the masses,doesn't mean they had the True Church, in fact, Peter is portrayed in the gospels as being somewhat clueless. Feed my sheep. God isn't just a spirit, and to say so is simplistic. God is way more complicated. It's not about the trinity, it is about the image which is mirrored in us. Most conventional Christians are drunk on the spirit and tend to resemble Manson Family members talkin' bout "Charlie"

3. mintinfo profile image64
      mintinfoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First off I believe that religion is based on astrological study coupled with human spiritual instincts. Now, from a Humanist perspective I think the reason Christians believe that they have a monopoly on religion is because of cultural dominance and perceived moral superiority.

Christianity started in Europe and the majority of Christians have European ancestry. Europeans took a Jewish idea from the middle east, re-wrote it into Christianity, and used it to spiritually dominate the rest of the world. First by force then by money. It is Humanity's greatest invention.

All religions are valid forms of human spiritual ritual. Some are more dehumanizing than others but what made one more powerful than the others is its affluence. A poor person is apt to believing that he is suffering because his spiritual beliefs are wrong therefore he will gravitate to ideas that comfort his condition (Your reward is in heaven).

The topic of morality is deep because there are many facets to the way humans treat each other. We extend sympathy to our families, friends, same race, same religion, then county men. I do not follow any religion but when it comes to morality, from a human perspective I would go with Christianity.

4. wilmiers77 profile image59

Responding to the question why do Christians act if they have a monopoly on religion. Religions are about a relationship with God, our Creator of All. We believe in a mono-God, One; therefore, by the nature of the belief, a monopoly is an innate quality.

Then explain this "It is written in the scripture, and scripture cannoy be broken, you are all gods." and th direct translation of the word God in the Old T is Elohim, which translates to "Gods", and God said "Let US make man in our own image."

5. wilmiers77 profile image59

Lucianne, Christians are not perfect, as are all Others. Christians do have different interpretations of the scriptures. It is a fallacious to think that God, Son, God's Holy Spirit. has to be proven by scientific methods. It fallacious to assume that all Christians are hypocrites.

The Life, the Spirit, when it comes to you, immediately is proof with one truth after another being revealed. This is a real experience. Try it; you going to love it.

Which interpretation do you think god supports? And is it a remote possibility that it's all a wild goose chase and everyone is wrong.

6. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's the following verses that lead one to form the opinion:

John 6:43-45 (King James Version)

Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

or....

John 14:6 (King James Version)

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

You don't get more definitive than that.

I always allow any comments, but I understand if folk don't want to approve a comment, normally they are just too busy to get into debates in a comment box, that's not the place, here is the place, your own hub is the place, a comments box is not.

But comments are good for drawing attention to hubs in the feed, and keep a hub alive, so I love them and happily answer either in detail, if the comment is well structured, or in brief if it's just a teaser for an argument.

John

7. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not all of us Christians are like that.  It is those few that give us a bad name.  It is those few who are the loudest, that create the perception of ownership and control. 

Christians like myself, who actually try to walk like Jesus, are too busy to make a fuss.  True Christians are too busy looking at their own faults and sins, actively repenting for them, and trying to change into a person of God.  All other Christians are just being loud. 

If enough people started to ignore these false believers, and refused to give them an audience, then maybe they could find their way to true enlighten salvation.  As a hardworking Christian, I unworthy to think that my religion is best for everyone.  It is not my place to feel and think that way.  I am graciously humbled by all walks of life, and the different beliefs that follow.  I pity the ones who have become shallow.  The next time you come across a denominating and arrogant Christian, pity them as I do.  They simply have no clue about the goodness, joy and love of Jesus Christ and his teachings.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please don't pitty me .....

I think that everybody is kool that appreciates their life course and attempts with all of their strength to live in harmony with their ennvironment.   this i THINK WILL LEAD US ALL THROUGH THE CORRECT GATE.

NOW ALL OF THEM RULES THAT RELIGION HAS ESTSBLISHED ????

THEY AIN'T WORTH NUTTIN BUT loop holes.....

Hay   ..   IntimatEvolution   ....     I know !!   
          You already do this...  And you are automatically sweet cause of it.  You are good people.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Hi love!  Glad to see you around.  Ooooooo's

Hay have you been staying outa trouble???   or should I say  not  Gettin caught ????

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Well, actually "Christians" think they have a monopoly on religion, because they do not understand their religion or it's intent, but is seen as the only method for living with regards to morals and virtue.

They read what they want from it, believe in what they want out of it, and then form the rest from their imaginary god. However, they are nowhere near having a monopoly on religion. Most are delusional. lol

Lol. Typo on 'Christians'. Sorry! - Is there any way I can change it?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To change it, you have to change the person. Individual people do not like change, once they are set in their beliefs. Thus, leads to close-minded and narrow-minded people, who choose ignorance over learning.

Can you change it? Not likely, because of the chosen ignorance.

Cagsil  you may not know it but I Kinda like your attitide.
          And I know that you don't care if I do or not!  But I do.
          I Don't agree all the time and I usually keep my mouth shut when that happens.
            The sooner we figure out that we are like everyboby else the better off we are for it.

Thank you Jerami. smile

Cagsil, "...once I was blind, but now I see..." I was ignorant to the Word Of God. I didn't know that there was a LIFE with it. LOL! Glory be!

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
        Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christians believe that there is a God as well as satan.

Christians believe that there is a Heaven and a Hell.

Christians believe that we as humans, are spirit created, living as humans in order to complete specific tasks assigned by God, and that once completed, our human body will perish but our spirit will live on.

Christians believe in "A Triune God" Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Christians believe that their God, created a book called The Holy Bible,inspired by The Holy Spirit of God, written by human hands, and translated from its original languages of Hebrew, Greek and Armenian into thevarious languages of today.

Christians believe that provided we live according to God's laws in both Old and New Testament, and accept Jesus Christ as our saviour and redeemer through His crucifixion and resurrection that at the time of our physical death, our spirit which belongs to God, will return to God.

These beliefs are the esscence of Christianity, and what Christians believe.

Brother Dave.

1. IntimatEvolution profile image68

Hi Dave, just one comment here to your

"Christians believe that their God, created a book called The Holy Bible,inspired by The Holy Spirit of God, written by human hands, and translated from its original languages of Hebrew, Greek and Armenian into the various languages of today."

I believe as a Christian that the Holy Bible was put together by a power hungry, greedy Roman Emperor.  I believe the Holy Bible really had nothing to do with God.  Rather it was a guide for pagan Roman followers, during the Roman religious conversion into Christianity.  Hence the council of Nicea.  Furthermore, if there is truly a religious book, inspired by God and the Holy Spirit, that book would be the sacred Torah. It is the one true religious text, recognized by Jesus Christ to be a holy book.

However, I feel that man with the best intentions, created many sacred texts, that could easy be said they were "holy texts of God."  Like our bible for one is one such book.  It might have been created for all the wrong reasons, but, its very existence over time has been prove it is worthy of being a holy text.  Furthermore, with that I feel that the Qur'an is also one such book, that can be classified the same as the Holy Bible. 

Bottom line though, is that it is a very real possibility that God had men of all ages, races and origins create different types of holy scriptures, for the benefit of people living in a particular area or far off land.  I feel God could have easy transposed his message across the cultural and language barriers over time.  Therefore, great man like the Gautama and Confucius help transpose God's message into one better suited for their people.  Much like Jesus Christ did for us Christians.

Before I say good night  ..  excelent train of thought..   

Ain't saying right on ???   but maybe ??   I think that I heard something like that go off in my head !

Thanks for putting it in words.

2. Valerie F profile image61
      Valerie Fposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So says someone who professionally psychoanalyzed most Christians, hm?

most christians could benefit from it if god were a psychoanalyst

See, there you go again, making not too bright statements. I cannot make professional statements about any of it, because I am not a professional psychologist nor do I hold any degrees in it.

3. profile image0
      brotheryochananposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Because we own Boardwalk and park Place.

1. profile image0

and have many, many mansions on both smile and big_smile. True though. lol

4. profile image0
    ShadowKing!posted 13 years ago

Another reason for the "monopoly" mindset is because when you line up other religious texts (Quran, Bhagavad Gita, the Vedas, etc.) only the Bible rings loud and clear on a plethoric-level of PROPHECY. None of the other so-called sacred texts claim to be an authority on "proving to mankind their God exist". Think about it, read those other texts (I have), The God of the Bible proves Himself to exist more than the gods of those other writings.

But did God create man, or did man create God? We only have the word of a bunch of really old guys who say that God visited them in dreams or whatever. Why doesn't he visit anyone these days? If anyone claimed he had, we'd all be saying he was not right in the head. Chinese whispers springs to mind.
      I will say this however, I personally do believe in God - or should I say I believe in a divine entity who created the universe and everything in it. I just don't believe in the word of a load of guys who were so old that they probably had dementia.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65
        ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think a person's hub is her own domain. I mean, you shouldn't take it personally. As for Christianity. you know what, you don't like em, leave em alone.

ShadowKing, you have inspired me. Very good!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
        Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL

Agree with the religionist that agrees with you! Yay!

3. Elpaso profile image60
      Elpasoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible, the Quran, and the Torah are the same book about the same God, interpreted in a different way. It would be so great if the word of God didn't have to come through the distorted mouth of men.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is so true - even if there is no god.  Without its god the bible still contains good and bad stuff in almost every interpretation, along with its mythical stuff is the thinking of ancient people and there is some value in gaining some understanding of that.

4. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The same could be said about the other religions.

Christianity is not even the worlds largest religion, so I am not entirely sure how they could even go about claiming a monopoly.

1. profile image0

We claim monopoly by this:
        The world's largest religion is Christianity, making up about 33% of the world population according to a 2005 survey by the Encyclopædia Britannica. That is approximately two billion people. Other large religions include Islam (20%), Hinduism (13%), Chinese folk religion (6.3%) and Buddhism (5.9%). Indigenous religions make up 4% of the world's population, and atheism about 14%.

See, not as many stupid people in the world as you think lol

Your post directly points to the amount of ignorance and lack of knowledge of life. Thanks for point out how useless your religion actually is. Much appreciated> smile

1. profile image0

Your post directly points to the amount of ignorance and lack of knowledge of life and has no back up information with any accredited source at all, useless. I got actual facts from encyclopedia... but i guess you know more than they do. Thanks for pointING out how useless your ability to post actually is. Much appreciated> lol

2. profile image0

Your welcome its nice to know you are benefitting from my google searches which is what you must be referring to as ignorant. And of course you know all about my life, oh my gosh, you must be telepathic, lol Cagsil you do not impress me. I've read your posts, its the same 101 crap that everybody who knows nothing gets caught up on. its a shame.

5. profile image0

Umbrella, that's EXACTLY what happened to me with Captain Jimmy. If you like, read my hub "False Prophets on Hubpages" for the full story. Yes, those who are usually wrong hate to contend with pure logic.

6. profile image0

Well, there are people who to this day claim God spoke to them in dreams, visions, or other revelations. Bill Wiese claims "God took me to hell to see what it's like". Joyce Meyer claims to get revelations all the time from God. Benny Hinn believes the Holy Spirit gives him inside info on a regular. So some men do create a different God (from the one in the Bible) to further their wealth.

Some stick to the Scriptures.

I have to disagree.   We have been taught over the centuries to throw the scriptures to the wind.  Study  interpretations of scripture ....  there a 100,000 of um ...  just pick one and that will be good enough.

But try to uninterpret scripture and you will be out on your ---!

7. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Religion has taught us to disregard what scripture says.  Interpret it until we like what it says????

1. wilmiers77 profile image59

Jerami, all scripture is subject to new interpretation, renewing of our mind. Scripture, at any time in the history of humans, has been the leading law of the land. If and when the Life of the scripture, the Spirit, comes to you, than you shall know all of your questions about God in the Spirit Of Faith, and shall be filled with joy. LOL! Joy!

The scriptures may hold diffrent truths concerning each persons personal life....   But  the priphesys' do not.

And when they are properly studied without interpretation...all of scripture takes on a diffrent meaning.

8. profile image0

Religion hasn't taught us to disregard what scripture says--it has been greedy humans that has taught many to do that. Religion is "a set of beliefs involving devotional & ritual observances, containing a moral code governing the conduct of our affairs". This systematic practice hasn't taught me to pick-&-choose what verses I'll obey, and what ones I won't. I made this point in another post, my problem with Christianity is how people have flawed it. I can believe that & still believe in the inerrancy of the Bible (in it's original languages).

So, yes, it is the Book that's pure, and the humans that are impure...Bill Wiese, Joyce Meyer, Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, T.D. Jakes, etc....

Interesting thoughts, however, the book you reference is a history book to some degree and a book of mythology. Individual perspective demands interpretation, because of mythology isn't based on reality, but based on stories.

Scripture is based on stories. Discerning the truth, because flawed human created it, is however, possible, but limited to one's knowledge and understanding(wisdom) of life.

There is no god when the truth is discerned. We have and maintain control over our own existence. No other hands required.

1. profile image0

YAWN...this negativity makes me sl e  e   p     y zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

2. Jerami profile image59

You are right again in my book!  Now take that concept back another 1600 years and see what ya get.

This problem didn't begin in the 70's or even in the 50's

But this is the ones WE see doin it ... ??
        "They"    ..  Been goin on a long time.

9. tjhooper profile image61
    tjhooperposted 13 years ago

in reference to the person who denied the comment. Anyone on the site has the right to deny any comment. If someone doesn't like feedback that doesn't fall in line with their ideas, then so be it. Don't take it personally, some people just don't want to debate.

I'm going to try to be neutral here, so try to hear me out.  here's how I see it.

Christians are always blamed for shoving religion in someone's face, but many people egg them on provoking as well. Jehova's witnesses are the ones who are known to go doorstep to doorstep playing salesman 24/7, muslims kill in the name of a Gihad, and Evolution is now taught in schools. As well as tolerance to all religions.

Christianity was what the country was founded on, and now it is the most hated and criticized religion in America.

I don't think it is fair to say that Christian's think they have the monopoly on religion...a truer statement would be that Christians are almost if not now, the minority religion, giving way for way more tolerance and acceptance of other religions.

plus.....doesn't any leader in religion think they have the monopoly??

On the flip side, Christians are known for being hateful and hypocritical these days...Every person is an ambassador for the religion they are. People judge a religion based on the people they see that claim it, and christians haven't been doing a very good job of keeping a positive light on Jesus.

Truth is, people are fallible, people make mistakes. It would be nice to have a physical God that ruled earth so as to know exactly which religion is best (if any at all) but that's not the case. All we have is stories, teachings, symbols, and morals.

Jesus Christ is said to be love, and that christians (mini christs) are supposed to show that love as well...instead Christians can be very hateful and judgmental all in the name of being the "salt of the earth" and "teaching all nations"

Actions are more important than words, I'd much rather see a christian help a homeless man with food and clothes instead of seeing him give a seminar in a huge fancy conference room complete with power point presentations and the hottest singing groups.

10. profile image0

Of course it's easy to scream that a sacred text is a work of mythology. But those who lacerate the Bible up into a part fictional book usually have cosigned some other critic's demeaning accusation. If there are any opposition adherents participating in this topic: I ask you--have you ever tried to "prove whatever parts are labeled mythology as being mere myths"? Bandwagoning someone else's allegation is not the mark of an intellectual thinker but that of a flunky. Making accusations that something is false is inadmissible unless you can attach a source for support. Some please, tell me, what parts of the Bible are myths?

You seem to be trying to talk a good game, but fail. To think that what I know about religion is based on other critic's demeaning accusations, is absurd, foolish and ignorant. Discerning truth about life is all that matters to one's life. I demean the book? You better believe it- it is the basis for morals, but it teaches the opposite in it's doctrine, which were written by man, for other reasons than the supposed inspired word of a god.
      I would suggest reading up on history. In the early 70's religion was debunked. The foundation and philosophy is outdated and do not bend with the human mind's ability.
      Again, I represent me, not someone else.
      You want a source, live the doctrine of your religion. And, see where it takes you- the self-realization leads to no god.

Technically, much of the book is myth. The writings/scriptures are stories from illiterate, barely conscious people. The interpretation or translation, if you will, was done by man- therefore, everything in the book is in question, because man is fallible. The parts of the bibles of existence are to be matched up with ancient historical accounts of human existence. And, when matched up, what is myth and was isn't is revealed.

Well said cagsil. I completely agree with everything you say

I can tell ya what parts aren't myth.
        And if you understand that part correctly; you will see that all interpretations made by mankind are myth.

The written word is so easy to understand as written yet SSOoo easy to interpret into a different kind of truth???

The prophesy are real and we have to understand them correctly and then the LIGHT shines into the dark crevices of our interpretations.

11. profile image0

I'm listening...

I have not filled out the aceptence to Add Sence so I do not Make a nickel if 10,000 people read my hubs.   

So I do not feel that I am promoting anything by suggesting that you read  my Daniels vision 1 thru 4.

That would explain what I think, much better than I can on the forums.

But in short.  Gabriel explains that during the time of the fourth kingdom upon the earth, "THAT" Hebrew Nation shall come to their "END of DAYS".  More specifically he says that this shall happen during the rule of the 14 Emperor of the Roman Empire. And at THAT time shall Michael stand up for the Children of Daniels people and those that are writtne in the book shall be redeamed from among Man.
         Religion has been teaching this "Way falsly" for over 1600 years.

12. profile image0

I'll check it out.

Jerami...
    Okay, I briefly read Daniel Vision 1, I agree with the general representation of it. But it was your theological commentary on the prophesies. In all respects, I wasn't seeking a commentary on prophecy; my grievance had to do with unproven accusations that the Bible is part myth. I was holding Cagsil accountable for spitting vague allegations with no creditable sources to back them up. You agreed with him "you are right again in my book!". So I retorted. You said you could tell me "what parts aren't myths". I asked you to simply tell me what parts aren't myth.

You may or may not decide to do this. That's fine. If you do I'll be back online tomorrow late morning.

Typical religionist. Defend the faith at all costs - no matter how much ill will is caused.

This is the problem with your religion. It actively prevents you from being able to develop a code of ethics. Because you get handed your morals on a plate and do not have to develop them yourself, thus you do not feel the need to follow them. Sad. sad

You are the one making the claims. You say Jesus coming back from the dead is reality? LOL

Prove it.

Until you can - I consign this to mythology and allegory where it belongs. wink

1. profile image0
        ShadowKing!posted 13 years agoin reply to this

1st, I'm not a religionist. The word means: "a person addicted to religion or a religious zealot". I am neither.  2nd, I've never claimed to defend any religion, let alone Christianity to which I know by research to be full of inconsistencies that contradict their Bible. 3rd, speak intelligently. The problem isn't religion. The word basically means a "holy practice". There is no problem with practicing a holiness. The problem IS the attitude & beliefs of the followers. The problem is the people, not the clear-cut, specificness of a system.
        4th, YOU PROVE Jesus didn't rise from the dead, and I'll prove He did. And do you see your flaw. By your own unintelligent admission you brought into question a single aspect of Biblical claim that can neither be expressly proved or disproved...the resurrection of Jesus. That's why the Bible instructs those believing in it...TO HAVE FAITH in the validity of Christ's resurrection.
        5th, I don't give a damn if you cosign mythology (which consist of FAKE tales). Have at it.

Well - in that case - what is your problem?

There is a claim made that Jesus walked on water. Until such time as that is proven - I consign it - along with all the other nonsense - to mythology and allegory.

Why would I need to prove this? Surely it is the responsibility of the one making the claim to prove it?

I don't need to prove Jesus did not rise from the dead or did not walk on water. Any more than I need to prove Moses did not build an ark for two of all the animals. Or any of the other myths in the bible. Why would I need to do that?

The problem is indeed the religion or "the belief in and worship of a god or gods".

1. profile image0

Then it's resolved, because I never claimed Jesus rose from the dead, walked on walk, or so and so.

No modern person can prove the "Biblical miracles" happened, so they can neither be called real nor myth. But not unlike the fabled Greek stories of Homer or other fanciful Greek tales. Actual existing Greeks have verified the Iliad & Odyssey are myths.

So the debate here is resolved. Stale mate.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This should be good.  http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/engel/angel-smiley-007.gif

2. profile image0

And to answer the question of the forum. We just Do. Its that whole personal relationship thing y'know.

3. profile image0

You said ....You agreed with him "you are right again in my book!".

My comment followed behind a comment that Cagsil had made BUT the post that I was commenting to was YOURS.

If I comment about the bible being myth I would be referring to false interpretations of what is written. And I believe that there are some misinterpretations as you have mentioned.

Non believers see these as Myth?? 
      Sometimes cagsil does make a comment that with a little consideration does fit within both your and my concepts. 
        When he does, I like to give him notice.

And when An Atheist makes a respectful though differing comment that too deserves a proper reply..
      Sometimes I'm not so good at doing this but I try.

13. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

It's sad to realize, but I understand why you are an angry brood. But just imagine if you are wrong. If you die and there is something after this life, after all you have done, blasphemy left and right. Then God says, leave me, I never knew you. I know this will not make you think any different, I actually think you are to far gone and no Christian should ever bother, it is a lost cause. What I don't understand is why say anything on here to Christians at all, unless they leave a comment on one of your hubs, or in you fan mail. Why let it get you so worked up that you have to comment on the forums. Or in one of their hubs for that matter, nobody forced you to read it.

Have you ever paused to consider that many of us are looking for the truth - I mean, the real TRUTH? Just because I question the bible does not mean I question God. I am merely trying to find out if these so called scriptures are the work of God or the work of man. Where am I supposed to start looking? The bible was allegedly written by many different people, in fact what is the definition of the word 'bible' Erm, book? I believe one of the quotes in the book (right at the very end) says something about not adding or taking anything out, however, this has been done on countless occasions and it has been wildly mis-translated. I have nothing against anyone following what the book says, for a start it's not my place to judge anyone, but I have a problem with being mis-informed.

1. profile image0
        Bubbooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lucieanne
        The Bible is the inspired word of God and it is the TRUTH.  I am also looking for the truth and I am finding it in God's Word.  The Bible is not meant for man's own interpetation.  Jesus said that if we ask we shall receive, seek and we shall find.  If we pray and ask God for the truth then we will find the truth in Him.  He is the Word and we are all told to seek Him and His Word. Maybe you should stop looking for the truth in man. The Bible says " Let every man be a liar and God's Word be the Truth.  This only means that we should not take any man's word for the truth, but we should seek the truth for ourselve's.

14. Diane Inside profile image72

Well Lucieanne, I don't know the TRUTH. And yes your right the bible was written by many different people (supposedly by devine inspiration) and so many translations have been done to it, that it makes one wonder. But thats where faith comes in, at least for me. I mean I feel like I have to have faith that a book thats been around for centuries, and survived this long has to have some level of truth to it. And I could be wrong, thats a possibility.

But what if I'm not wrong and God does exist and all he asks of me is to believe in him and have faith. And I deny him that, the one who gave me life, and gave me free will to decide for myself what to believe.

I don't know I guess I'd rather have faith in the fact that there could possibly be something more after this life.

I guess the TRUTH for me is that we are not supposed to know all the answers, and have faith in God.

okay. this is how I personally see it. I believe in a divine entity who created the universe and everything in it. I call him or whatever it is, God. I believe Jesus was a good human being who tried to show the wicked people the errors of their ways. I know there is a God, there has to be, we didn't just happen along out of no-where, BUT... I can't believe that we came from Adam & Eve, unless Adam is the collective name for man and Eve is the collective name for woman. None of it makes sense to me. Jonah and the whale, Mary and her virgin birth, parting of seas, sticks turning to snakes, come on, please, it's all to far-fetched to be believable and it's these absurd stories I have an issue with

1. Valerie F profile image61
        Valerie Fposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Problem is that you're assuming that all Christians take the Bible 100% literally, and that all Christians behave like that one hubber.

Now as for miracles, they take an open mind. A wind blowing across a shallow body of water can push the water aside, just as was described in the Bible. It's been scientically proven possible. Science also has not ruled virgin birth as 100% impossible and can provide a number of scenarios in which it is at least theoretically possible for a virgin to give birth to a son. As for Jonah's story, you'd be missing the point if you threw it out on account to being hung up on the detail of him surviving three days in the stomach of a large fish.

No

No

Not really.

Thanks

15. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Another religious/ non religious debate........ and no-one brought beer....... *cries into his empty glass*

16. Diane Inside profile image72

Okay I see what you are saying. Well I was brought up with a mother who went to church pretty regular and a father who never did. I became a little more inclined to think the way my father did, who by the way did know the Bible pretty well. He taught me this way. First he said there is no such thing today as magic. That the great flood, the parting of the red sea, things like that happened in a natural way, but that it was God who set those things in motion. Like parting the Red Sea may have happened by an earthquake, or the flood did'nt have to flood the whole earth because the whole earth wasn't populated at that time. etc.

Adam and Eve were the first God fearing People. If you read Genesis. There are two accounts of God creating man and woman in one account then Adam and eve in another account. This he said is possibley where there were humans who were heathens, Like neaderthals. This is just his speculations but I can see what he is thinking. That is how he explains that Cain found a wife after being bannished.

Anyway but he did say that at that time God did move in what would be considered magical ways, to give humans the basis for the beliefs of that time. Like the Virgin Birth, water into wine, etc.

It's alot to explain here but thats just a little of how I've come to believe the way I do.

1. dollmaker profile image60
      dollmakerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  My head hurts from reading all the banter.  It makes me feel glad that I don't get many or any comments on my hubs.  Good thing you all are releasing some steam here, I hate to see a kettle boiling over.

Daine, in another thread you admitted the bible was written by liars, so how is that you believe the way you do if the bible is full of lies? Do you want to believe those lies even though you know full well they are lies?

I don't understand that.  smile

Don't know if antone will read this but here it is anyway. The bible wasn't written by liars, it IS interpreted by idiots. First where on the first page of the bible do you see god creating hell? That's when the creating was done. "No hell below us, above us, only sky" (John Lennon)
                                                                             Dave "The Postman"

2. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, I said that people who said, that they know for a fact that the Bible is the exact truth are liars. Because noone has the complete facts if they did there would be no debate at all now would there be.
        You only read what you want to read.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

Yes, I know you said that. So, the people who wrote the bible would claim that it is the exact truth and the word of god, so they were obviously lying when they wrote it and filled it with lies. Right?

I am simply agreeing with you. smile

1. Diane Inside profile image72

You know Postman, the way you agree with someone is exasperating. mad

Why? You said that if anyone claimed the bible was true, they were lying. Well, the people who wrote the bible believe every bit of it was true, adamantly. Are they not liars, then?

I mean, I don't really see how 1+1 does not equal 2 here? smile

I'm saying anyone today , noone today, knows, do you know people from that time period. Have you conversed with them. No. So all we can go on is the Bible.  So noone can possibly know for sure unless God himself tells them in an audible voice. Or at least sends them a telegram or something.  smile

I'm sure no one here conversed with them, Christians included. But, I really don't see the difference between them and us in that regard. What is the difference?

Since we haven't had a telegram or heard an audible voice, then your conclusion should stand, right?  smile

17. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

This is in response to TJHooper's post. Sorry for the disjointed conversation; the "reply" buttons aren't working for me these days.

Anyway, TJ said some great stuff, and I support most of it. However, I take issue with this:
    "Christianity was what the country [the US, I assume] was founded on, "

That's not the case. The founders were Christians, certainly, but the US was not "founded on Christianity." If anything it was founded on enlightenment ideals. Founded by Christians? No question. Founded on Christianity? Show me where Jesus appears in the Constitution.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Jesus is mentioned in the Constitution, but God is in our Declaration of Independence written some years before the Constitution.

I think Christianity played a significant role in establishing this Country.

Whether thats a good thing is debatable.

1. mom101 profile image60
        mom101posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and that was several years ago. Can you see the difference in the christian of then and the todays christian? Sad aint it
        As for a good thing, it was then. Then, the gov stepped in. Think about it. Separation of Church and state. What a joke. Are we free to worship freely or could the rules and regulations that are set in place for churches the ole uncles way of "giving us an inch". You know, just enough to keep the majority thinking that we actually do have that right.

All anyone has to do is ask me. Constitutionality is dead and George Orwell was understating "1984"

As to the question. Christians are forced because of the importance of faith, to be hot in the cause of their beleifs. Christ himself had to be sure of what he was doing, he had to be without doubt and steadfast in his faith.

2. Dave Barnett profile image56

On this fine 4th, just let me say, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" The founding fathers called for religious FREEDOM. The law is written thus. Congress shall make NO LAW regarding an establishment of religion OR the FREE EXERCISE thereof. Christians feel picked on, can't say I blame them. Everyone is so worried about separating church and state, they can't see that they are the ones FKING it up.

3. tjhooper profile image61
      tjhooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you for your response.

You are right. Jesus is not in the constitution, but if you look at history, pilgrims traveled here to escape catholic rule. Most of our immigration here was to travel to a free land (mostly free of religion bind) Most if not all denominations of faith started with the freedom this country allowed.

God is in the declaration of independence "One nation under God" and seeing that the founding fathers were christian, this must be the God of the Bible.

18. wilmiers77 profile image59
    wilmiers77posted 13 years ago

All of man's self righteousness is like filthy rags to God. If one  study the Word Of God without prejudice and pray to God to reveal His Spirit, the door shall be opened. Religion is firstly and always an one on one relationship with God. You solely are responsible. So, turn your ear from critics unto the Lord.

And you honestly think that pounding these forums with this garbage will do something?

On the whole - people enjoy a conversation of some kind. Not being preached at - as you are doing.

Sorry your self righteousness is so powerful you cannot see that. sad

Oh well.

For PR it sucks. I have to agree with Mark. In my writing, I try to avoid the preachiness. I think that my perspective is different, but my comprehension is high.

2. profile image0

To Mark...
        If you cannot come to forums an attack the issues and not the person, stay the F**K out of them. You're a sad case. Nearly ALL your comments are aimed AT THE PERSON and not the (alleged) falsehood. That's what evil people do they ATTACK PEOPLE not the people's BELIEF. We call persons like that...terrorists, instigators, provokers, accusers, devils, and so and so.

Holla

Sorry sunshine - I will say it as I see it every time. Hiding behind a "belief" is not going to work for me. Evil huh? Terrorists huh? lol

And - Do not send me any more personal messages.

1. profile image0

Just because you say you "say it as [you] see it" doesn't mean you're right. In fact much of what you write is bullsh*t.

And for the record, just incase you're trying to insinuate something to other viewers, with that "sunshine" remark & "do not send...personal messages", (1.) The message I sent you is the EXACT same one directly above yours above this one. (2.) My intentions in sending it was "TO MAKE SURE YOU GOT IT". (3.) This explanation is for clarification only. I've came across your comments in other forums. You're a sly instigator who generally post his comments with insults, malice, & insinuations (designed to serve your agenda). Yes, buddy your game ain't hard to peep. So that "sunshine" crap & boldfacing of "Do not send me any more personal messages" is an insinuation designed to serve your idle agenda.

Those who are wise understand what I'm talking about concerning your remark. So don't play dumb, you know too I exposed your intent.

No - I was pretty clear. I do not want any more personal messages from you. I never insinuated anything. I do not want you "MAKING SURE I GET IT."

Clear?

Other forums? LOLOLOLO Dear me. What are these?

Keen to know what my agenda is also. wink

1. profile image0

Like I said, you're game isn't hard to peep. I sent one message to basically tell you to your face (so to speak) to go f*ck yourself. Yes, I'm pretty clear too. You're not a celebrity, icon, or god, so please hang yourself.

I hate terrorists, so please shoot yourself in the head. Thank you.

1. profile image0
                  sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a pretty harsh remark to tell to someone who just asked you to stop sending him personal emails.  Obviously he isn't digging receiving messages from you telling him to f**k off or go hang yourself.

I really think that anyone who believes in the god called God is incredibly 'deceived' completely ignorant and completely unable to reconcile that your god called God is the Devil.

You all talk the same speech no matter how many ways your 'testify' to it, the result is always, always, always the same.  Believe or die, I am right and you are wrong.

Look at yourselves and see what you have become.  If it is true that you become the god you claim you worship and drink the blood of etc... then you took on the personification of the 'evil' one.

Everything about this god who calls himself God share the same traits.  You are too proud, you are ignorant, you are mean, you justify everything by God.  You do the opposite of all the nice things that the god called Jesus represents.

You basically sh*t on everyone who disagrees with you.  You cause suffering to good and decent people.  You think everyone who doesn't take this 'gods' word for it blasphemous and worthy of death.

You accuse them of not having a heart or being unkind or calling them liar.   You insist they themselves are the Devils, that nothing they do is done because they are just kind and caring people.

You call all schools of thought outside of dogmas, the bible, the koran, the cannon the devils plot to destroy humanity and all I can see is that you have no intentions of really sorting it out.

You argue presumptively that the only way to interpret the bible is with the bible and while I was off on my 'searching' for the truth about the bible taking into account that if it is so that you can only interpret it with it I have all but found one undeniably odd circumstance...

That the greatest deception of all is in believing that this god called God ever told anyone the truth to begin with.  It's all right there, it starts off with lies and ends with them too.

Don't get me wrong, there are some alright Christians out there, the nice ones who, sure might have some funny beliefs and rituals and such but they are so far from the 'normal' regular, everyday run of the mill Christian that I really feel bad knowing that even they will take what I say personally when it isn't about them.

It's about people like you who outlandishly assume that you must be heard.  You just have to be sure that you were able to tell someone to go hang themselves and go f**k off. 

Why would you even consider that okay?

1. profile image0

Here we go again: ANOTHER PERSON WHO DOESN’T DO THEIR HOMEWORK. The book you just wrote, SANDRA RINCK, I didn’t read it all, just skimmed. So let me clarify for you what you obviously don’t understand.

1st, you ASSUMED I am a Christian and by my words to Mark Knowles that I was exhibiting “unchristian” behavior. 2nd, find me ONE comment, post, or hub where I have ever claimed to be a Christian, and I will be GUILTY of unchristian conduct, and you’re accusations are CORRECT.  A Christian, by dictionary & biblical definition, is “a following disciple of Christ, one who ACTS Christ-like”. I do not erroneously claim that label, not because of disgust or disbelief, but because I know “I don’t act Christ-like”. 3rd, If you understand what I claim then probably would’ve never wrote that comment. Now, you should’ve investigated the full story. I said what I said because Mark Knowles is a jacka$$. I might be one too, so be it. But he likes to belittle and insult people in these forums. He attacks the person, not the issue. Whereas I attack the issue, not the person, like I’m doing now, Sandra. But in those comments I gave him a piece of his own medicine. 4th, everyone is entitled to their opinions & beliefs. I respect them. But where I draw the line is when a person embraces a illogical belief & propagates illogical statements without even attempting to provide creditable sources.  5th, no I don’t have some self-serving proclivity to GET THE LAST WORD for the sake of “having the last say”. But I do feel its fair for one to ALWAYS address misleading or false accusations against him. If he fails to do so, if knowledgeable of the allegation, he is basically cosigning to a misrepresentation of his character. 6th, the original and only email I sent him did not mention anything about “f**k off and go shoot yourself in the head”. I said those words only in comments for the sport of debate. I don’t carry a chip on my shoulder nor do I wear my heart on my sleeve. My temper remains even in FORMAL intellectual debates because (this may sound hoity-toity) I’m confident I can win ANY FORMAL, rule-regulated debate on a topic I have mastered. I don’t know everything more than anyone else, but I do know thoroughly the topics I endorse. So my point is: I attack issues of importance, not the person sponsoring them. That was my original intent to Mark.

Humility is expressing open consideration, showing modesty in approach, & remorse for offensive actions caused. I know I was wrong with my insults, and I apologize to all those who were offended. Since Mark wasn’t offended, he gets no apology. Yet I addressed an issue I felt needed a voice. But please, Sandra, next time acquire the facts ON BOTH SIDES. Know the full scope.

Peace.

2. profile image0
                  china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do hope that this was reported as a personal attack !!!   and a hate speech post !!!

Is it 'polite' here to report , even when the garbage is not being thrown directly at you ??

1. profile image0

Yes. Anyone can report a comment so long as it falls into the guidelines of something worth reporting. So go ahead, have at it. I'll still stand by my original defense. I voiced my opinion in addressing an issue where a certain hubber kept ATTACKING PEOPLE and not their issues they believed in. I told him why attack the person, attack the illogical belief  instead of  . He got extremely rude with me, we had our words, and finally came to the conclusion we were in a stale mate (so to speak). We walked away.

Sandra felt like you (without reading all of his comments, esp. those to others). She may still do. But the point now is, I apologized to those who felted offended s: but still confessed I won't go silent when a person continually berates another rather than the false faith they may be espousing.

So you have all right, without getting a reprisal, to report my comment(s).

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do you view the life of your home boy Oral Roberts?  Remember when he used to heal all those unfortunate people every Sunday morning?  Is there a special hell for this charlatan?

19. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

.......Nope........still no beer......no joy.....*stares into empty glass, wipes tears*

1. earnestshub profile image83
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If god was real that glass would be full of VB. Any god who would deny a man his VB is no god of mine!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Caucus agrees Earnest  - Member for Consumption of VB *crowd cries randomly... here! here!*

20. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Any comments on a hub is up to the hubber to approve or disapprove.  If the hubber doesn't like your comment, it's not going to be approved. It should be taken at face value and not taken personally.

21. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Telegram from god:

"I do not exist." smile

1. ceciliabeltran profile image65

do you earnest?

Possibly, yes. smile

22. NCapamaggio profile image59
    NCapamaggioposted 13 years ago

I have found these post to be highly interesting. I think you really want to express the way you feel and what you believe and get heard. I'm sorry your post got denied. Your view and opinions are important, especially becuase they will shape your future on earth and after. Instead of preaching my beliefs all I will say, is find rock solid evidence for what you believe in, and everyone else reading these posts, becuase so much depends on it.

Here is a prayer, for anyone brave enough to pray it.

Dear Creator,
    If you are there and can here my prayer, I am open to the truth, no matter what it is, so please reveal yourself to me at all cost. 
    Amen.
    All I know is the God who made the world and all that is there in is not hiding in any secret place, but is there for all people to grab hold of.

23. Deborah Demander profile image90
    Deborah Demanderposted 13 years ago

Wow. This is a tough bunch. I can see why some newbies shy away from the forums.
    The original question, stated in the title did not seem to have much to do with the real question, which was further outlined. She seemed irritated that someone rejected her comment. This has little to do with Christians and whether or not they have a monopoly.
    SO WHAT??
    The problem with religion,in my opinion, is people. People will always try to hurt, subdue, and enslave other people. In the name of whatever religious god they claim.
    There is a huge difference between "religion" in which people try to set up the rules of engagement with God, and "relationship", in which an individual seeks to find the truth about a higher being, and their own place in the universe.
    As for me, I can see peace instead of this.
    Namaste.

You are sooooo right. Talk, to ShadowKing. He needs guidance

24. wilmiers77 profile image59
    wilmiers77posted 13 years ago

God and the Son of God is two big clues.

25. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 13 years ago

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/bloggers/NogodbutGod.jpg

this is the islam god. The islam god is unknowable so this is how god is represented.

Christianity states plainly god is a father and we are family, he has a body, human attributes and is as far from being a black box as anything can get. Maybe you can appreciate US a bit more now.

https://fhswolvesden.wikispaces.com/file/view/rel_pie.gif/33529077/rel_pie.gif

Not really, the black stone is symbolic very much the same way the cross is symbolic to Christians.

Actually, the way in which the Islamic god is perceived is far more credible than the Christian god if one were to make a comparison. smile

1. profile image0

the black stone depicts an unknowable god. That is why it is black and a square. There are no similarities if so, i am sure that anybody intending to be believed would show me where i am wrong and not just put forth assumptions without evidence. I don't believe you.

1. pisean282311 profile image63
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

they dont worship black stone my friend..it is just symbolic..and this human attribute thing is not new..pagans had it too...religion is man made..that is why there are human's centric theme..if dinosaurs would have made religion..it would have been dinosaur centric...it all started with human's quest of knowing answers..first they worshipped nature and deceased people , then it got upgraded to some deities , then deities became far less and then came single deity...there is definite trend between how humans evolved and how religions evolved...it is product of human's brain ...5k years down the line , present religions might be extinct or evolve into something else..bcoz by then we would have traveled to other gallexies too and that experience would be incorporated...

present religions when formed lacked that knowledge and so earth was consider to be center , sun was considered to be revolving around earth and such things...cant blame religion because people who created that didnt have tools to moniter all these and so they wrote as per their speculations...

The Black Stone is a Muslim relic, believed to have fallen to Earth to pinpoint the location of where Adam and Eve's first temple was to be built. It does not depict their god. in fact nothing is supposed to depict Allah, that is the point of Islam.

smile

2. ceciliabeltran profile image65

lol

seriously?

26. akirchner profile image91
    akirchnerposted 13 years ago

I agree with Cagsil - my experience with religion and 'christians' is perhaps slanted because of my early years with the cult as I refer to them.  However, I do believe that anyone who professes to be serving God and who has to cram it down people's throats or insists that theirs is the only true religion are not the real deal.

The fact that we have to tramp about the world inflicting our 'heaven sent' religious beliefs on other cultures and countries makes me nauseous to be honest.  There are many ways to worship God and the thing that puzzles me is that why would God believe that only ONE religion was appropriate?  What kind of God would be so exclusive in who were his 'chosen'?

I don't believe in one religion - I believe in all religions.  As long as they are geared towards making the world a BETTER place and a kinder place, I believe God gives that the stamp of approval.  Christianity and Christians in general seem to me to have to 'declare' themselves too much and too fervently for my humble tastes.  Being devout should come from within and living a life that speaks of religious values - not proclaiming it to the world at large as the 'only way' - and then forcing it down other people's throats.

True.  Don't tell me you love me, show me.

2. profile image0
  27. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years ago

Well cousin - once again you are too lazy to bother formatting the text correctly and have mixed it all up so no one can tell who said what.

But - your religion is indeed a problem for you - I see you attacking Catholics as being "crap" all the time. That what you mean by "study"? lol

Your high opinion of your self is quite shocking really. you are one of the type of people that persuaded me all religion was crap - not just the Catholic one. So - thank you.

I cannot prove a negative. The burden of proof is yours. You are the one making the ridiculous claim - I am saying I do not believe you. Making unsubstantiated claims and then demanding others disprove them makes no sense:

The Star Goat vomited the Universe after a heavy night drinking.

Prove it did not.

See? Meaningless garbage.

I don't care if people secretly laugh at me. Why would that bother me?

1. profile image0

Yes. I see. You think The Star Goat's One True Word is an inane, made up situation, and not to be taken seriously. lol

Now you know what I think of the Zombie/Snake story.......

We are both atheists. I just believe in the True God where you worship the Zombie.

Love it that you feel comfortable attacking my religion, but get upset when some one suggests that yours is complete nonsense.

Go back to LOLOL "study" LOLOL. Bye, cousin.

28. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

does it?..i think it is common for all religions and Christianity is too young religion and not the first one..every religion feels it is only true path...

29. Cagsil profile image71

Hey Pisean,

Of course every religion thinks they have the only true religion of the supposed god. It's man's own arrogance and ignorance working against them. lol

agreed and man's version of god seems to be ruthless at times who can condemn someone to hell for ever if he /she disobeys HIM using thinking capability which was supposed to be given by HIM only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...man's version of god is arrogant too..ego centric too..HE needs to be remembered , prayed and one has to show gratitude..or else.....

30. earnestshub profile image83
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Yep the god in the quoran and the bible are both pis*ant gods  alright!

An omniscient god who is a psychopath! lol lol lol

Wottalottarot! lol

31. Diane Inside profile image72

actually if look at just the numbers. Christianity is the most perdominant religion in the world.

So if you look purely at the numbers Christians do hold a Monopoly on religion.

Estimate 2.1 billion follow Christianity, However now there are so many different denominations of the Christian religion.

That's too funny, but a great false statistic. lol

Why do you say it is false, I didn't just make it up you know.

1.Christianity: 2.1 billion

2.Islam: 1.5 billion

3.Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion

4.Hinduism: 900 million

5.Chinese traditional religion: 394 million

6.Buddhism: 376 million

7.primal-indigenous: 300 million

8.African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million

9.Sikhism: 23 million

10.Juche: 19 million

11.Spiritism: 15 million

12.Judaism: 14 million

13.Baha'i: 7 million

14.Jainism: 4.2 million

15.Shinto: 4 million

16.Cao Dai: 4 million

17.Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

18.Tenrikyo: 2 million

19.Neo-Paganism: 1 million

20.Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

21.Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

22.Scientology: 500 thousand

This is a list that was estimated accoding to a sociology study.

You don't have to. I know how many people I know who claim to be Christian when asked, but don't actually believe in a god or religion.

They choose to "white" lie about it, so as to not be pestered by others. lol

On the money again Cags.
            Run for office as an atheist in America and see how well you go! lol

2. pisean282311 profile image63

numbers can be deceiving at times because 2.1 billion would soon loose race with islam and muslims would become highest in the world..it would happen in another 50 years period..so then would you say islam has monopoly in religion?

Yes if the number of Islam exceeds Christians then yes islam would have a monopoly on religion if your talking about purely numbers.

I even willing to bet that there are more people who believe in a god than those who believe in a specific religion. lol

agreed...infact many people who claim to be hindu or muslim or christian are not 100% of that..they believe in god, were born in family with particular faith...do rituals expected from them and get on with their own lives..if world has one single religion , it is called living good life..every one wants it...

1. Amanda Severn profile image95
            Amanda Severnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've never filled in a form with an entry for 'I believe in a creator, but don't adhere to a specified faith'. Perhaps if surveys included that as an option statistics would be less skewed.

32. Cagsil profile image71

A PRIME example:

Look at a lot of the poster on HubPages. They claim to believe in god, but don't follow a religion. Some even attempt to claim to be Christian, yet they do not go to church or deal in organized religion.

So, you can pull all the statistics you want from whatever place you choose. NONE of it is accurate. wink

Just because someone doesn't go the church doesn't mean they are not Christian, or any other religion. And some people may be Christian or any other religion for that matter who do not believe in organized religion.

and I did not say that was an exact number it is an estimate.

I know some Christians who would beg to differ with you on that statement.
        Christianity is an organized religion. You either are part of it or not. You don't have a choice to follow what you want. DUH! That's just as dumb as saying that you believe in god, but have no religion. It's absurd.
        It's not even close to being a real estimate. Get serious. hmm

Okay whatever you want to think, thats fine.

There you go again. It isn't what I want to think that matters. Get that through your thick skull?(no offense intended)

STOP and think about it....I realize you have a faith issue, but let's be serious.

Those who believe in god, but follow no religion- are ignorant.

They lack the simple knowledge of life and wisdom offered by common sense.

Religion brings god to the table of the conversation. If you follow no religion, then it only makes sense you do not follow a god.

If religion did not exist, neither would the concept of god. The only reason the concept of god continues to exist is to fill in the gaps of the unknown, so people can supposedly live more comfortable lives, instead of being completely self-guiding.

The preconceived notion of chaos is thought to ensue, if humanity is not made to answer to a higher power.

Of course you have a choice in following what you want , why do you think there are so many interpretations of the bible.

why do you think there are so many interpretations of the bible...bcoz humans form different meanings for same things..infact there are so many different religions bcoz of this human trait ...in end it all boils down to same thing...

There are so many interpretations to the bible because other people want to usurp power, control and wealth. DUH!

Okay so which is the right one, do you know, just because you think none are right, doesn't mean you are right.

agreed it doesnot mean i am right and in same way it doesnot mean others are right too....isn't it?...we have to look at larger view for this..we have to start .2 million years ago when humans first began , then we have to take its journey and in unbiased was look at religions world over ...it is much beyond 1400 years of islam or 2k years of christianity or 5k years of hinduism..these religions are too young in comparison of human race existence..if we analyze religions world over...we see common pattern in it...common quest in it...

All religions have the SAME 3 major doctrines as a basis. See my previous post. wink

33. Cagsil profile image71

All religions are FALSE to begin with. Try living the major 3 doctrines of your own religion and see how far you get? hmm

Doctrine #1? To be selfless or unselfish(this means that whenever someone asks you to do something...YOU CANNOT SAY NO!)

Doctrine #2? To oppress desires(all of them)- science has already proven this doctrine to be false- oppression of all desires leads to only one place- insanity.

Doctrine #3? To have 100% belief in god- it cannot be done, because it is in human nature to have some sort of evidence/proof. But, what many I have found do say is that they have HOPE that there is a god. That is not 100% faith.

So please.

perfect..quite true...

Where did you get those doctrines, a generalization. 

No man is perfect, women on the other hand lol just kidding.

Okay you believe what you want that's fine, I just don't happen to agree.

Of course you don't agree, you feel you must defend your faith. wink

Just as you feel you must defend what you believe. Right.

I don't feel the need to be right. I am simply displaying the facts as they are. I have no reason to mislead you. smile

Edit: Btw- it isn't something I believe.

Please learn the difference between belief and knowing. It might help you in the future.

@Cagsil faith cannot and must not be defended..or else if proven it becomes fact and not faith...

Mystical faith is what needs a defense.

Not faith in oneself. wink

well we dont say scientific faith..we say hypothesis which is subject to scrutiny or scientific fact..now humans are .2 million year old is what science stated and backed with why they say so ..physical proof of fossils and such things..religion is product of thought too...but it doesnot back with proves..and so we call it faith..something which one believes because one believes..not because he/she has physical proof for it...

There is only two places for faith to exist...

(a) you are to have faith in yourself.
                (b) you are to have faith in your fellow human being.

You are not to use faith in any other manner.

Mystical faith is spoken by religious folk, so as to defend their belief. A belief is something that is believed true. Not necessarily is it true. It's believed to be true.

Knowing something is true is not a belief.

agreed...quite right...

that is also perfectly fine...right to believe is one of fundamental rights of humans..we dont live in world where galileo needs to be humiliated neither we live in world where christ needs to be crucified or muhammad needs to live his city ...fortunately we live in world where right to believe exist...

3. Cagsil profile image71

Generalization? NOT!

That is specific and should you disagree, simply shows you lack knowledge about your own religion.

I'm sorry, FACTS are facts. smile

Okay so far you have called me ignorant, dumb,Thick skulled,and unknowledgable about my own religion.

Cagsil "Those who believe in god, but follow no religion- are ignorant."
                       "That's just as dumb as saying that you believe in god,"
                       " Get that through your thick skull?(no offense intended)"
                       "That is specific and should you disagree, simply shows you 
                         lack knowledge about your own religion."

I don't mind having a hardy debate, here but none of this is necessary.

I said "think skulled(no offense intended) I needed you to pay attention, because you always storm off.

The first one isn't calling you ignorant. It is generalized.

The second one did not say you, but generalized again.

The third one simply said you lack knowledge of your own religion. It's not an insult, it's a fact.

And your point being? hmm

Edit: btw- you took a piece of my post and twisted it to look like an insult. Look and re-read the post again.

Okay generally speaking I think to not believe in a higher power,  is dumb, ignorant and anyone who belives this way and won't listen to reason is thick skulled.

No offense, I didn't mean you.

And your statement shows you know how to twist things around. You must feel pretty proud of yourself. hmm

You're not better than the average theist, who argues for the sake of arguing. hmm

34. Cagsil profile image71

This post you ripped apart to insinuate an insult.
    The post right before this explained to you that people claim to have a belief in god, but have no religion. If you happen to be one of them, then you would fall into the category of the generalization I laid out. It's absurd.

Religion brings god to the table. You cannot have one without the other. Thus, if no religion, then no god. Got it?

Ha Ha, I am so Hot right now I just love to argue with you, It's a good thing you are not here with me right now, because I'd have to throw you on the bed and Have my way with you. wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)