How do you define the word "Christian"?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years ago

How do you define the word "Christian"?

The word Christian is used so casually anymore.  I often wonder if people really understand what it means to be a true Christian.  Is it just all about religion, or is there a deeper meaning?  I am curious to hear your thoughts.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12577487_f260.jpg

2. clivewilliams profile image73
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

if you were christened at birth you are christian....but you are not a follower of the christian faith. Just like how you are Human, but not a nazi.........i hope!:-)

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's putting in a nutshell, but very funny answer. Christian is not simply getting christened. He should be a believer and practitioner of all good values of Christianity.

3. autumndouglas profile image59
    autumndouglasposted 8 years ago

It's actually really simple: Being a Christian means being a follower of Jesus Christ and believing all that He is. The most important role of a Christian is to love and extend that love to everyone, no matter what. Of course, there are other things that go along with being a Christian (like grace, forgiveness, baptism, etc.), but, that is the basic, bare-bones answer.

The Bible is something to guide people in their relationship with God. It isn't about being perfect or being a good person; it's about having an intimate relationship with God and His Church. The Church is not so much a building as it is the community of all Christians under God. Going to church could be you and a couple of friends gathering in a home. After all, that's how they did it in the Bible.

Think of it more as a spirituality than a religion. The religion aspect of it (rituals), may distract from the actual spiritual relationship you have with God.

Anyway, that is the conclusion I've come to in my experiences so far smile If you're really interested in it, I recommend a book called The Shack by William P. Young. It's super insightful, and answers a lot of questions.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

So, in your definition, you do not have to be a good person to be a Christian?  That's interesting.  I have never heard anybody say something like that before.

2. autumndouglas profile image59
      autumndouglasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Being a Christian is basically irrelevant to whether you define yourself as a good person or not. Everyone sins. No one is perfect. God understands that, and that's why he gave us Jesus. He makes us perfect.

3. Venkatachari M profile image83
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

But, nobody is perfect does not mean that you can still sin and look for Jesus to save you. That's absurd. God sent Jesus only to show you the way and not for uplifting all sinners to His abode. One should be honest and true to his conscience.

4. autumndouglas profile image59
      autumndouglasposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Being a Christian isn't an excuse to sin. That's not it at all. It's about realizing that you have to rely on Jesus in order to be clean in God's eyes. However, choosing God over sin does not mean you won't ever sin again. That's not realistic.

5. profile image51
      Norine Williamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Amen Autumn!  Believers blv that they have to "do" (law) when He's "done it all" on Calvary (Grace)!  When Holy Spirit does it, it's done vs when we do it! Rely on the Holy Spirit (not self) who "leads & guides you into ALL truth!"

4. Michael-Milec profile image61
    Michael-Milecposted 8 years ago

Excellent and timely question, TIMETRAVELER. There is only one genuine definition to the word "christian." Originated from Greek 'CHRISTIANOS'= "-  "ANOINTED-ians"- as Christ means the Anointed, in support of this we go to gospel of Luke 4:18 , Jesus Christ speaking "The spirit of the Lord is upon me , because he has ANOINTED me = ' ECHRISEN' (original Greek). For ages my question is why? - why the translators did maintain here the original Greek, as well as in case of "Christ"- only some translations says the Anointed One...
    Back to "christians " the most misunderstood and abused expression in religious world. Originally the name CHRISTIANOS has been applied to the followers of Jesus Christ shortly after His resurrection and sending the "Spirit" (holy spirit it is) to fulfill his promise " But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will bear witness for me..."(Acts 1:8)
    Now, these the first generation equipped by the same Spirit Jesus had, by the same Anointing Jesus worked with, these "Followers of Christ" with the same "christ-like" results "at Antioch the "MATHETAS"= 'learners' translated "disciples" were first called "CHRISTIANOS'"- translated '"christians". Suppose it was well meant translation. The outside world remembering Christ's performance has no choice just to admit these are the same many of them- all of them. (For example a bricklayer has to prove by his performance that he is a bricklayer. No one will hire someone who goes around talking he is a bricklayer without actual results.)
    As one reads the book of Acts as well as the other NT recordings, thy showe the deviation from the original "anointing'' into mass-production of membership any-kind- all- types of "christianity" ; mostly everyone is "christian" -in man-made christianism.
    Epilog: so sad  when some followers of original Christ under the "anointing'' do manifest the deeds of anointing today, they are usually rejected by the worldly view of God's intention for humanity .
    ( Fragment from my unpublished Hub)

TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting information.  I would be careful, though, posting the part that is from an unpublished hub as once you publish that hub, you could have a problem with duplicate content!

2. Michael-Milec profile image61
      Michael-Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks TIMETRAVELER for helping me to know more how the HP work. My close friend and  mentor isn't  on tis earth anymore, and my growth in understanding the mechanism in publishing has come to halt ...Still I do not know when I would be ready for Hub

3. profile image51

MM: Term used by unbelieving Gentiles @ Antioch to describe apostles (Christ followers)!   I Pet 4:16 Why "ashamed" if not a derogatory phrase?
      Acts 26:28 "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?"  Derogatory!

4. Rich kelley profile image60
      Rich kelleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Michael I enjoyed your writing on the topic.
      Rich

5. profile image56
      Michael Milecposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Rich Kelly,  sincere thanks for noticing the battle as well for moral/spiritual support. If possible join me in prayerfull support, the Truth  wants to bee revealed, the Spirit is working where the Word Of Truth is sown. This Kingdom business not min

5. dashingscorpio profile image80
    dashingscorpioposted 8 years ago

Someone who purports to (believe in and live their life) in accordance to the scriptures of the old and new testaments of the bible.
    The reality is most Christians "cherry pick" which scriptures they will follow or obey. As is stated in Ecclesiastes 7:20 (KJV)
    "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not." Christian or not everyone is a hypocrite from time to time.

6. James A Watkins profile image84
    James A Watkinsposted 8 years ago

A Christian is a disciple of Christ Jesus; a person who puts his or her life in Jesus' hands, trusting in Him, having Faith in Him, that He is who He says He is and we will be resurrected to live eternally with Him as He promised. You cannot be a Christian without believing in the Resurrection, number one. You also cannot be a Christian without believing in Satan, angels, demons, and in Adam and Eve as literal human beings.

7. profile image51
    Norine Williamsposted 8 years ago

The term "Christian" was a derogatory word used by unbelievers to describe followers of Christ in Scripture!  There are only three Scriptures in the New Testament that speaks to Christians.  Acts 11:27, 17:28 and I peter 4:16 which says ""Yet, if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God on this behalf." which reaffirms that the word Christian was used by unbelievers to describe "apostles" of Christ!

When the "first CHURCH" was established on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 1 & 2), "After those days..." (Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10; 10:16), After He resurrected, Scripture referred to "followers of Christ" as "apostles" (Acts 2:42).  Let me reiterate John 14:26 in which Jesus said that He would send the Holy Spirit "IN MY NAME" (JESUS), which "put laws in our hearts and wrote in our minds" (Jer 31:31-33; Heb 8:10 & 10:16) as He did with the apostles.   Therefore, it was not the apostles speaking in Scripture - but JESUS! 

Consequently, no one is "Christian" unless they follow the apostles' doctrine (which was JESUS' (HS) "putting His laws in their hearts and writing them in their minds") as they did in Acts 2:42.  Furthermore, Galatians 1:6-9 says (v8) "But though we, or an angel from  heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, "LET HIM BE ACCURSED!"   

Therefore, are you truly a "Christian" who ONLY follows the apostles' doctrine (Acts 2:42) according to Scripture?  For that is where we "currently live," under the NEW COVENANT of Grace and Truth!

1. profile image56

Under the same anointing, under the same..." CHRISTOS" the ANOINTED- One; "CHRISTIANOS" - ANOINTED- Ian's ,Acts 11:26, because of the identical deeds of anointing, the same deeds of the kingdom as of Jesus,  followers, -"Christians" - known by deeds.

2. profile image51

Still "initially" used by unbelievers!  Some call gospel of Christ followers "JESUS freaks" today, yet  still "under the same anointing" and followers of JESUS!

Why would "Let him not be ashamed" be in verse?

3. Michael-Milec profile image61

'Anointing" is  too Sacred to me as it was to my Christ - the Anointed One- and I would refuse to continue throwing out a precious pearl.

4. profile image51

MM: I'm not "throwing out a precious pearl!" I'm telling u "unbelievers" (as an Atheist speaks of us) "first called the apostles Christians @ Antioch" as we are called "Fundies" among other things, today!   Derogatory!

5. Michael-Milec profile image61

Norin Williams, notice please I was not calling your name. My remark means I am not willing to continue discussion going unnecessary distance....(Not 'apostles'- the disciples- original "MATHETAS''.)

6. profile image51

MM:  Disciples=followers/learning; Apostles=Holy Spirit ready-sent out to teach! I Peter 3:16 "...whereas "they" (unbelievers) speak evil of you, as of evildoers..."   Derogatory!  The "world" does this & if it hasn't happened to u????

7. Michael-Milec profile image61

NW the question is simply to "define 'Christian'. The first time"biblically'' interpreted , Acts 11:2. "CHRISTINOS" Unsuccessfully translated English "christians" means traditionally anything, everything man's produced membership, rarely 'anointing'.

8. profile image51

We know how "we" define the word Christian but was not original intent which was "derogatory!" 
      Again, if not Acts 2:42 not Christian, Apostle, nor Disciple of Christ!  Consequently, Gal 1:6-9!

9. profile image56

NW if anyone speaks evil of me because of supernatural deeds of anointing or for any other reason, I  d o.  n o t. care . I know myself, God knows me the best . My is to know the will of the Father and to do according to His word.

10. profile image51

MM: Do we not live under the New Covenant? R laws being written in hearts & minds (Jer 31:33;Heb 8:10;10:16)? Did He not send HS (Jn 14:26;16:13)? Did HS come (Acts 2:2) & write laws..? Afterwards, did they not baptz n Jesus' Name?  Do u?

11. profile image56

TIMETRAVELER 2. Did not asked any of these...

12. profile image51

I Peter 3:15!  I asked you! According to Scripture "...tell the hope that's in you..." [paraphrasing]

13. profile image56

Answering you 1 Pe3:15, "I" Michael am ready to answer to everyone  my personal hope in the Anointed One- Christ ; making sense of the context here, nothing to the with the TIMETRAVELER's 2 question .  Your word be the last one. Thank you and God ble

14. profile image51

But doesn't "make sense" according to Scripture (I Pet 3:15).  "Christian?" What?  Do the will of your Father? Is not I Pet 3:15 the "will of your Father?"

15. profile image51

II John 1:10-11

16. profile image56

NW, you said "doesn't make sense"... 2. J. 1:- is A personal letter to the ELECT LADY...Not related to above question... Where this go?Are you trying to tell me that there is a scripture " went away and hung himself." As well " go and do likewise." .

17. profile image51

MM:  But II Tim 3:16 re: II J.1"-10-11 which is "the will of the Father!"

Precisely a "Christian's" response (as they use the term today)!

18. Michael-Milec profile image61

Norine Williams, Precisely!

19. profile image51

MM: U mean ur def of Christian allows one to tell one to "go hang himself?"  That is the world's "true" def of Christian!  Precisely!

We know them by their "fruit!"

The will of "your" father?  Jn 8:44!

20. Michael-Milec profile image61

NW, No, I dont.
      I dislike jumping throughout different texts when a  question has been answered.

21. profile image51

mm: U thk discussing the actions of "Christians" on the Day of Pentecost changed subject?  Only their actions displays "TRUE CHRISTIANS" as God intended!  Is this why u don't want to discuss? Acts 1 & 2 (& Books thereafter) defines "Christian

22. Michael-Milec profile image61

Norine Williams, it's not a matter what " I " think , it's about what I say: In similar situation to this, discussions are not profitable, and my time is very important making of it effective use. Only if you are happy with yourself, have a last word

23. profile image51

mm: It certainly "is not" about what "you think," but what the Word says about a "Christian!" But who cares?
      Time valuable? (I Pet 3:15)

Go ahead "Christian!" We will no them by their fruit!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)