jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Can someone explain to me what the Offertory basket is at a UU church?

1. peeples profile image96
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

Can someone explain to me what the Offertory basket is at a UU church?

I am considering visiting my local UU. I have read a good biit on their website. Is an Offertory basket another way of saying collection plate?

2. profile image0
    Stargrrlposted 3 years ago

Yes, I believe so.  All churches have to raise money for themselves--except the Roman Catholic Church, which gets some money from the Vatican.  And even they still collect.

1. peeples profile image96
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

3. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

I believe that is correct. If I am going to attend a church, I prefer the ones that have a "love offering" basket or collection plate to one that expects a tithe. My former Baptist church sent each member a box of envelopes each year in which the tithe was supposed to be placed and the envelope signed and the amount written on the outside. At the end of the year, the member was sent a statement with the total of how much that person had contributed. It was supposed to be so the member could have a total for a tax deduction. That may have been convenient for the businessman who contributed hundreds, or maybe thousands, of dollars to the church, but to a student like me who couldn't afford more than the "widow's mite", it was very embarrassing. I wouldn't worry about the offertory basket. I would place whatever I could afford to give, and nothing if I couldn't afford anything that day. The UU church is very liberal in its expectations.

working