jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do You Believe Christmas Has Lost It's True Message, And Now is All About Gifts?

1. traveleze profile image51
    travelezeposted 3 years ago

Do You Believe Christmas Has Lost It's True Message, And Now is All About Gifts??

2. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 3 years ago

The holiday now known as Christmas (formerly Saturnalia, even more formerly the Festival of the Winter Solstice) has always been about celebrations and gift-giving. It's basically mankind's way of ousting despair in favor of joy and goodwill, giving the middle finger to nature as if defiantly saying, "You haven't killed us last winter, you're not killing us this winter, and you won't kill us next winter."

So, not really. Christmas at its roots is very much about the revelries--it IS the holiday that the Catholic Church replaced Saturnalia with, after all--but now there's the addition of, "Oh yeah, one of my religion's major figures took earthly form. Maybe I should celebrate that, too."

3. profile image0
    AC-DCposted 3 years ago

Yes, the holiday of Christmas as we know it today; the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ has become too commercialized. Many do not celebrate for the "true meaning of the season."

As far as winter solstices, this is just a coincidence because of all celebrations were centered around this time of year.

4. liesl5858 profile image85
    liesl5858posted 3 years ago

Yes, the true meaning of Christmas is lost nowadays. It seems to me that people worry more of what they give to other people or what they would receive rather than celebrating Christmas as the birthday of Jesus, the saviour who saved us from our sins by dying on the cross many years ago. It is a shame but our generation is changing so rapidly and so is the tradition.