jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

To whom are tithings paid (and how) in this modern age, especially if outside of

1. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 3 years ago

To whom are tithings paid (and how) in this modern age, especially if outside of organized churches?

"Robbing God" is defined in scripture as not paying a tithe (10%, or more) of our increase in any given year.  As God knows our hearts and intent, it seems important to obey this commandment by paying an honest tithe."
    This commandment comes with a promise, as do all or most commandments we are obedient to.
    For those who assert that churches are not scriptural (and I believe Jesus Christ established His church and added to it) how is presenting God a tithe accomplished?

2. t aaron brown profile image72
    t aaron brownposted 3 years ago

Christian tithes are based on an analogy to the Hebrew priesthood and tabernacle, of which Christians have no modern day equivalent. For example, we are not a nation of tribes with only one that trains as clergy. The tithe is also an odd translation for a culture that doesn't sacrifice animals for atonement, keep its priests/pastors busy with sacrements or follow a strict Deuteronomy.

Todays church giving has nothing to do with the tithe. It is simply an offering to pay the mortgage, utilities and for the pastor's expenses. Considering their is not one church, rather one on every corner, it's highly convulooted to know how to give God money. Odds are the money goes straight to very natural/carnal matters.

Possibly the only examples in the Bible for a giving-limit regarding the Christian culture: The widow's mite and the book of Acts. Each example was giving all/100%.

I think the principle for giving (in general) and serving others is well established in the holy texts.

3. MizBejabbers profile image89
    MizBejabbersposted 3 years ago

Don't forget that the tithe was also equivalent to the income tax until Rome intervened and demanded taxes. The tithe of grain and foodstuffs given to the temple supported the people in hard times. Bring ye the tithes to the storehouse was referring to grain, or so I was taught. So today tithing gives God 10% and income tax takes 20% to 28% unless you have many deductions. Giving to God wasn't such a bad deal, was it? I believe that many people who don't tithe to churches can consider their giving to humanitarian causes as giving to God. Frankly I consider it a more holy mission to give a check to our local Food Bank to feed homeless people than to a church to build a building with a bigger spire on top.

1. Perspycacious profile image80
      Perspycaciousposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am aware that perishable  foods donated to a local food bank, if left over at the end of the day, must be destroyed, or the donating stores would stop donating. I understand their lpogic, but not the waste.

2. MizBejabbers profile image89
      MizBejabbersposted 3 years agoin reply to this

What waste? Our food banks refrigerate perishable foods. They are begging for donations of any kind. I was speaking of money donations. I send them a check a couple of times a year. I don't send food. Where are you getting your misinformation?