jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

If the Lord is the Father of Jesus, why was He called Baal?

1. Claire Evans profile image75
    Claire Evansposted 2 years ago

If the Lord is the Father of Jesus, why was He called Baal?

Here is the relevant scripture:

Hosea 2:16

"It will come about in that day," declares the LORD, "That you will call Me Ishi And will no longer call Me Baali.

Was He ever called Ishi?

2. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 2 years ago

Baali is a Hebrew word for "Master" or "Lord", while "Ishi" is a more endearing term, meaning "Husband".

Through all the chapter, Hosea is talking about the restoration of the relationship between God and Israel, from one that is driven more by obedience, and maybe fear ("Master") to a more personal, intimate relationship with him, driven more by love ("Husband").

1. Claire Evans profile image75
      Claire Evansposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Baali was used for pagan gods.  Why does God have so many names like El, Yahweh, etc? They are Canaanite names.   Thank you for your response.

2. Disappearinghead profile image78
      Disappearingheadposted 2 years agoin reply to this

El was just one god in the Canaanite pantheon. Baal was another. The Hebrews came to follow El and over time the others were variously ignored or demoted to demon status.

3. Joseph O Polanco profile image39
      Joseph O Polancoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

@Claire

While Jehovah God certainly has many roles, and corresponding titles as a result, his name is and always has been Jehovah:

"I am Jehovah. That is my name;
      I give my glory to no one else." - Isaiah 42:8

4. Claire Evans profile image75
      Claire Evansposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Joseph, but Jehovah comes from Yahweh which is a Canaanite deity.  The Hebrews adopted Canaanite gods as their own and then just picked one as their true god later.  That is Yahweh.

working