jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Is it right for society/religion etc to choose the gender of the child?

1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
    Lady Guinevereposted 2 years ago

Is it right for society/religion etc to choose the gender of the child?

The transgenders and those who are born with both sets of reproduc tive organs have had a very difficult time with their lives and how to conduct them.  Religion specifically demonizes those who "feel" what gender they are to be and they expect them to stay that way.  Society also dictates that.  Most times it is not a choice, but is from the creator as to what gender they really become.  Why does society and religion go against that?

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 2 years ago

No!  There is only one exception  which I see as having to make a choice really when a baby is born of both genders and the choice made is often incorrect.  It is too bad that there isn't a way to test these babies to find out through their genetics etc as to which gender they more than likely are.

Lady Guinevereposted 2 years agoin reply to this

They should allow the child to develop on their own.  I have heard that most time, more than not, the body will decide what gender it will be by the age of 5.

3. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

Because society usually follows the norms of religions, even if the society is not very religious. There still exists a stigma of being transgender. In the old days of ignorance and stupidity, transgenders were often believed to be from the devil, the parents sinned, or some other ignorant belief. Hermaphrodites were kept hidden because they were "defective" and the whole family was subject to ridicule. It went even further than that Downs Syndrome children were called "Mongoloid and shamefully hidden away, but at least they are accepted in today's mainstream society. I am very sorry for the pain that transgender and double-sex people have to go through but I know their status is not a choice, and I love them as much as  I do all of God's creation. They are welcome in my life just the same as anybody else.
    Nearly 20 years ago I saw my office refuse to hire a fantastically qualified transgender individual. The director is not a prejudiced person (at least he says he isn't), but he was afraid of the  repercussions to the agency. We were in a precarious position at that moment and he had good reason to believe we would get our funding reduced or even yanked. Also a couple of employees threatened to walk out if this person got the job.
    The people I feel sorry for are the ones who are so ignorant that they persecute these citizens of our country. They are the real defective ones -- defective in the head. They are the ones we should pray for. Their narrow-minded religions have skewed their minds.

Perhaps we should dress like robots so it will be harder to tell of anyones gender.  Do you think that we are gravitating towards that?

4. profile image60
    Ashleytjposted 2 years ago

It is not right to prefer a particular gender to the other. We were all created by God not man.
    We are expected to be treated equally irrespective of the gender involved. For example the male child is been sent to school while the female is not in some parts of the world. Reasons been that a female child would be married and become a house wife so it would be of no value if she's educated. That's not fair nd is considered wicked! The female child then becomes an illiterate and the growth rate of illiteracy increases in the country. We all should be treated equally.
    Thank you.

1. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My mother told me they wouldn't send me to college for that reason, but they would send my brother. I struggled to raise two children after divorcing an abusive husband; my brother married a woman who made double his salary. Go figure.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image60

Look what China has done.  They call it controlling the populous but if you are a certain gender they will kill the child just for being that.  Horrible!

3. MizBejabbers profile image90

Tosin, it also opens the uneducated or under-educated woman to domestic abuse because she can't make a living for herself and the children. Been there, done that; got out, finished my education; became successful despite my family.

4. profile image60
      Ashleytjposted 2 years agoin reply to this

@mizBejabbers. For real? You're really strong.. Best wishes.

5. MizBejabbers profile image90

Thanks, Tosin

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

no it is not right but chinese families do have this habit of choosing males over females. If transgender, they will cut off ties. That is the saddest thing

working