jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Is it okay for Trans people to use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender

1. Cleo Burch profile image84
    Cleo Burchposted 8 months ago

Is it okay for Trans people to use the bathroom that corresponds to their gender?

This pertains to actual transgender people. As in, those serious about it. Not the creeps who aren't actually transgender but are looking to harass people. Legitimate transgender people. Note, this is coming from a transgender person.

Additionally, how do you feel about transgender people joining the military?

2. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 8 months ago

I'll answer your second question first: anyone who is brave enough, and qualified, to serve in the military should be able to do so. There are trans people serving now, without issues. This stupid trans ban thing is just another us vs. them scare tactic by the current president. Oh, the scary trans people are coming to take over our military and spend all our money. It's total BS.

As for bathrooms, I care not who uses which bathroom. Just wash your hands when you finish, and we're good. This is another stupid non-issue, and frankly, it's doing more harm to trans people than solving anything.

Cleo Burchposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've written here. Thank you for this wholesome response.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image91
    Alphadogg16posted 8 months ago

If a transgender individual is qualified and doesn't need any kind of special/different treatment then any other soldier, then by all means, join the military. Diabetics are not given special treatment in the military, so it should be equal across the board. As far as the bathrooms, I really don't really care about peoples beliefs, preferences or what sex they identify with, however I do have a serious problem with my daughter being in the bathroom with anyone that has a penis, hormone treatments or otherwise.

1. Byonder5 profile image59
      Byonder5posted 8 months agoin reply to this

Hmm. I have a daughter (10) & couldn't be more careful for her safety but I don't feel the same way.

4. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 8 months ago

Of course it's okay. It's a bathroom, not a place to compare genitals. For the thousands of times I've been in the women's bathroom I have not once seen what's going on in anyone else's stall and unless someone was intentionally looking in other stalls I imagine that's the case for literally every other woman who has used public bathrooms as well. I imagine any transgender man who is using the men's bathroom but has not undergone full surgery would be using the stall in there too, so again, same logic applies.

I don't mind my daughter sharing a bathroom with trans people, it doesn't make any difference as far as I'm concerned unless she's peeping in stalls, in which case she is the problem and not the trans person. The idea that she's somehow at risk because trans people are inherently dangerous or predators is ridiculous and there's nothing to back it up other than people's widespread misunderstanding.

As for the military, they should be allowed in as long as they are capable of doing the job. The standards should be the same as for anyone else. Once upon a time only straight white men were considered qualified and there was a huge resistance to anyone else being allowed in. It doesn't seem that allowing women, other races, and gays into the military has caused it to self-implode yet so I'm not sure why people are still under the impression that these things matter at all.

Cleo Burchposted 8 months agoin reply to this

This was such a wonderful answer, thank you c:

5. jlpark profile image86
    jlparkposted 4 months ago

Yes.
    The only people that shouldn't use a PUBLIC restroom at all - are those looking to harm others within those restrooms - be they cisgender, male, female, trans, etc etc etc.

Like most people, I use the restroom to relieve myself of the waste products my body produces. People who are transgender also produce waste product, and need a place to rid themselves of this. Basically - THEY JUST WANNA PEE (or poop...)

Transgender in the military? If you are willing to put your life on the line to protect me and mine - I don't care what gender you happened to be assigned at birth, or present as now. For that matter, I also couldn't give a damn if you loved men or women, or both. You are willing to die to protect the freedoms I hold dear? Who I am to deny you that based on an arbitrary notion of gender being defined by the genitalia you happened to be born with.

working