jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Why do paintings of Adam and Eve show each person with a belly button?

1. GizSleep profile image80
    GizSleepposted 2 years ago

Why do paintings of Adam and Eve show each person with a belly button?

I find it interesting that many religious people (I am Christian myself) believe in Adam and Eve. Yet in many historical paintings they're often painted with a belly button, the sign of a natural birth.

2. Titen-Sxull profile image87
    Titen-Sxullposted 2 years ago

I don't think such paintings were meant to be anatomically correct or that it would have occurred to the artists to depict Adam and Eve in such a way.

Another good question is why the serpent is almost always depicted as female in many paintings rather than as Satan or Lucifer. From what I heard it has to do with Jewish legend about Adam's first wife Lillith.

GizSleepposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That is a good question. I often think it's because Eve bit the fruit and the serpent is a representative of her desire rather than Lucifer. I've never heard about Lilith but I'll be sure to look it up!

3. MonkeyShine75 profile image76
    MonkeyShine75posted 2 years ago

Simply because no one has met Adam, and Eve so they are portrayed to look exactly as we do. There's really no great mystery or mistake, and this is unimportant in salvation, or teaching

I never thought about people having no other perception of what they might look like. However, I think it could be important to consider their appearance as surely God created them as his "ideal humans?" They were His first children, His image for us

4. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

painter painted this way because aadam and eve were naked right? So, there you go belly buttons. Were they in or out type?

They were the in type. I just found it curious because God has made these people and the belly button is where the umbilical cord is attached during a natural birth so surely they shouldn't need them.

working