jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Can you still be a Christian if you've never read all of the Bible? Why or why n

1. Joseph O Polanco profile image41
    Joseph O Polancoposted 2 years ago

Can you still be a Christian if you've never read all of the Bible? Why or why not?

2. RTalloni profile image88
    RTalloniposted 2 years ago

Being a Christian is a relationship with Jesus the Christ.  Prayerfully reading the Bible, seeking God's help to understand what He says to us in His Word, trustfully looking to Him for all things, step by step letting Him peel back layers of our individual need before Him as we go through life so that we can honor and glorify Him, are only parts of that relationship.  He offers much, much more, but there has to be a beginning with the Lord Jesus when we ask for the faith with humble hearts.  John 10:10 -- I came that they might have life, and have it abundantly.

3. feenix profile image60
    feenixposted 2 years ago

All I know is many of the most devout Christians in world cannot even read and write.

What the situation is, The Holy Spirit has entered into such people and, as a result, they are "good and unwavering Christians."

Joseph O Polancoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Interesting perspective. How, though, did these apparently learn about Christ and his teachings if they can't read?

2. feenix profile image60
      feenixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

One example is, (1) Such people were exposed to The Word in some way or the other. (2) The Word made a deep impression on them. (3) The Holy Spirit took over after that.

4. lone77star profile image84
    lone77starposted 2 years ago

Yes!

All you have to do to be a True Christian is to follow Christ, but most so-called Christians do not do this. Even I have done so only fleetingly. It is difficult and a narrow path, indeed.

But Gautama Siddharth Buddha followed Christ, 500 years before Jesus was born.

So, what does "follow Christ" mean? It means to love others as if they were yourself and to wish for them everything that they desire. It means to turn the other cheek, if that's what they want, and to turn it effortlessly. It means to be not self-concerned in the slightest. It means to be fearlessly confident when you walk on water and heal the sick. It means to be utterly humble to the needs of others and responsible for everything they do to you.

Reading the Bible only helps you to undo all the damage and the distance of separation we have created. Reading it literally will accomplish nothing. This is one thing atheists and Fundamentalists share. Reading it from the viewpoint of spirit will see the wisdom that is otherwise hidden there.

But how does someone follow Christ if they know nothing about him?

5. tlmcgaa70 profile image75
    tlmcgaa70posted 2 years ago

these days, apparently all it takes to be a christian is to claim the title. too many people let others tell them what the bible says, and do not bother reading it for themselves. they do not live in obedience to GODs commandments. if they had read the bible they would have seen that CHRIST said if you love ME keep MY commandments...and...if you say you love GOD yet do not obey HIM, the truth is not in you and you are none of HIS. they would see that the sinners prayer is not to be found in the bible, that to be saved one must repent and be baptized. anyone can be a christian...but if you want to be saved, then you must read the bible (KJV is best). we are told to meditate daily in the Word.

Great answer!

working