jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Should Prayer & Reading The Bible In Public Be Illegal?

1. prayerpower profile image83
    prayerpowerposted 6 years ago

Should Prayer & Reading The Bible In Public Be Illegal?

If prayer and reading the Bible in public becomes completely illegal, how would you stand up for your rights?

2. irenemaria profile image71
    irenemariaposted 6 years ago

I cannot think of one good inteligent reason why it should.

3. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

i'm an athiest and i don't agree with it being illegal. some people just couldn't handle life without religion .

4. Kaniel Loughran profile image57
    Kaniel Loughranposted 6 years ago

I don't believe in God and I find religion to be archaic, but people are entitled to their opinions, just as I am entitled to mine. No person should be denied their right to their freedom of religion because of another's opinion on the matter. Remember the words of Voltaire (Or Evelyn Beatrice Hall, it's up for debate who actually wrote the following line): "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

5. Pollyannalana profile image86
    Pollyannalanaposted 6 years ago

Parents could see the child has this at home and although it made me very mad to take out Christianity and allow Islams all their thing, I wouldn't want anyone teaching my child, Just teach them they can lower their heads and pray silently all they want, who can stop that? Keep God in our hearts and he will hear our unspoken words. We can't be cheated, but if there is to be no Christianity there should be nothing else either all with a brain should agree with that.

6. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

Think about this for just a moment.  In the USA, freedom of religion is a constitutionally guaranteed right.  If what you say was made illegal, what would stop others from making it illegal for you to exercise your free speech rights in publc, or peaceably assemble or exerce any other right in public.

A large theme of the consititution is to guarantee the rights of those even if they are in the minority or if their beliefs are unpopular.  The founding fathers had the wisdom to foresee that it is human nature for the majority to suppress the minority and put in safeguards to protect them.

7. megwinkler profile image60
    megwinklerposted 6 years ago

The first amendment of the Constitution protects freedom of religion - it's part of the the whole freedom of speech thing in the same amendment.  It wouldn't become illegal.

8. ii3rittles profile image83
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

Umm, No. Were you waiting for a reason? I have many but they all have to do with common sense. If that's illegal then kissing, hugging and holding hands may as well be illegal too.

I will pray where ever I want and no one will ever know I am. So how can you make this illegal in the first place?

They tried to make the bible banished years ago and its still here! God's word will never die.

9. onegoodwoman profile image77
    onegoodwomanposted 6 years ago

I would become an "unlawful" person, where, now, I am not.

10. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

Should it become illegal--no, not ever in the United States.  We have freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of religion.

11. profile image0
    epochs_oblivionposted 6 years ago

I cannot see how I ever hurt anyone by praying or reading the Bible, let alone any other person doing the same thing. I can see it becoming a problem when people start picketing and rioting over thier own beliefs (unless they are on the defensive), but this isn't a problem with christianity. It's a problem with people in general and they should be handled accordingly.

God bless,
    Josh Peck

12. shiloh01 profile image54
    shiloh01posted 6 years ago

No I don't find it illegal for every person has a right to act according to his will and he has the right of expression too. Therefore praying and reading any religious book or scripture is not considered unlawful.

13. ginjill ashberry profile image76
    ginjill ashberryposted 6 years ago

If people are allowed to read a story book in public, what's wrong with reading a bible?
    If a person can weep in anguish in public, what's wrong with praying?
    Why does a simple understanding of one to the other has to get complicated and become an issue, by the way? Why,Why,Why?