jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

Why is a 'choice' so well protected?

1. jlpark profile image84
    jlparkposted 2 years ago

Why is a 'choice' so well protected?

Our religion (or lack thereof) is a choice which we all make. It has a number of protections, particularly in the US - Freedom of Religion (and from), Indiana's Religious Freedom Laws etc. However, it is a CHOICE - something one has chosen to believe (even if one was "called" to serve God). Religion has been used against numerous different groups - who's members have not chosen their specific difference nor can they change them...Why is a choice so well protected, when impossible to change characteristics are not?

2. cathylynn99 profile image76
    cathylynn99posted 2 years ago

i would argue that it's not so much a choice, as folks are indoctrinated by their parents most of the time. they get what they're born into.

jlparkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

As I said to Tom - there is always the choice to leave it though - something that is NOT an option to those who it's being used against for things they cannot change. I do understand about indoctrination. Thanks for your answer

3. Tusitala Tom profile image60
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

CathyLynn99 has hit the nail on the head.  Choices are out of the question when we accept as tiny tots the beliefs and opinions of our parents and the community which surrounds us when we're too young to discriminate fable from truth.   

All this ballyhoo that "I'm right and you are wrong" stems from such teaching.   It often takes years of reading, research, meditation, and spiritual searching to find a way out of the mazes that such conditioning has on us.  Many don't even try.  Worse, many continue to place their beliefs in a 'locked box' and remain static, dogmatic, and bigoted all of their lives.  And worse still, some regard those who do not believe as they do as enemies.    All the religious wars, past and present stem from this last.

There is the choice to leave it though, even if it takes yrs of research. Thats not an option for those who are having religion used against them for things they cannot change. But I understand where you are coming from. Thank you for your answer.

4. d.william profile image76
    d.williamposted 2 years ago

Many religious "Christians" are not much different in their basic fundamentalism than the extreme fanatics who make up ISIS in the middle east, except that the christians are protected by law.  The law allows discrimination based on flawed religious superstitions because those who made those laws were also indoctrinated into their respective cults and never learned the art of critical thinking to escape those oppressive bonds.
    The GOP in Texas is trying to pass laws that ban "critical thinking" in their schools, because that concept "might" undermine the religious authority and may move people away from that oppression.   If they are successful on the state level, then they will try to make this a law for the country once they have greater power in Washington DC.

5. profile image61
    DJ Andersonposted 2 years ago

Hi, Jacqui,
    Change and new ideas take time to become ingrained in one's belief system.  I, too, once believed that being homosexual was a choice.
    My husband's nephew came out around 25 years ago.  He was most concerned that family and friends would have a different opinion of him.
    I sat down and wrote a hand written letter (that's the way we had to do it in the olden days) and I explained that my husband and myself would still
    love him the same.  Then I wrote something like, "It's your choice and we will accept you and the choice you make." 
    Jacqui, I did not know any better, at the time.  He was kind enough to write back to me and explain that he had not made a choice.  He said he had known he was gay from his earliest memories.  Wow!  That was an eye opener.
    In those days, people were much less accepting of gay people.  I had the opportunity to be around some lovely people and got to talk, heart to heart.
    The struggles they endured were a real shame.
    As the years passed, my neighbors and acquaintances have become much
    more accepting of people who are different than themselves.  The character of a person should be the main focus for acceptance.  One's sexual preferences should not even come into play.  People still have abhorrence
    for sexual deviance which include pedophiliacs, bestiality, or anyone not capable of giving consent.
    Jacqui, you are putting out inquires asking how people come to conclusions
    and I commend you for your research.  It will help you to understand how others feel and react and at the same time, you are enlightening others 
    on their road of growth and discovery.  We never stop learning.  When we do, we die.
    "Why is a 'choice' so well protected?"  You make a most valid and sincere question. It is because, many long years ago, way before you were even born, we were told that homosexuality was a choice.  Give us time.  We are learning.  Some learn at a slower rate than others.
    Continue your questioning.  They are great ways to make a person stop and think about "why" do we act or react the way we do.

You may not know it, but you are a super teacher, my friend.
    Give the wee one a hug for me.

6. B. Leekley profile image90
    B. Leekleyposted 2 years ago

From what I have read about them, "Religious Freedom" laws are misnamed for propaganda purposes and their actual ulterior purpose is legal protection of discrimination against homosexual and transgender persons. Google for instance on: Michigan equality religious freedom. I don't think religion should be an excuse to deny, for instance,emergency medical care to a person just because they are gay from birth.

One of the fundamental rights of choice is the right of conscience. Alternatives to this right historically have included exile, punishment, torture, execution, and civil war when a ruler or government has required or forbidden acts which some under their jurisdiction must or must not do as a matter of conscience. An important example In US history has been the legal right to be a conscientious objector [to being oblighed to kill people]. For an historical example of the right as a matter of conscience to say or write what you believe, Googe on Michael Servetus.

Another fujndamental right of choice is the right of privacy. Google on : right privacy Supreme Court

Neither right has been well protected. Responsible citizens diligently stand firm in their defense.

I can't comment on your premise expressed in your final question since you give no examples. Human and civil rights have been denied by both religious bodies and governments through the centuries because of given conditions, such as sex, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disability, caste, etc. Those rights have not been adequately protected, but I don't think comparing their levels of protection with those of rights of choice is a significant or helpful dichotomy. Why not insist that all just rights be protected?

Thanks. Your final statement - I agree! That's my issue - a choice that is protected is being used to attempt to legislate on things that aren't choices. If all just rights were protected, it wouldn't be an issue. I'll get bak 2 the rest of yr answer