jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Is giving money to the church helping the church, or fating the preacher's pocke

1. Rakim Cheeks profile image61
    Rakim Cheeksposted 2 years ago

Is giving money to the church helping the church, or fating the preacher's pockets?

2. Link10103 profile image75
    Link10103posted 2 years ago

Both I would imagine.

I've always found it odd how most preachers I've seen and heard of seem to be well off financially.

3. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

It have seen both.  The church I go to has different funds.  On is a missionary fund which gives the missionaries resources such as pocket Bibles and such when they go to different countries.  It may also help with travel expenses though many pay part of the way.  Another is a church fund and the church has a newsletter that tells where the money goes.  For ex. about 10 years ago, the church needed a new heater and the money from the church fund went into replacing that.  Plus there is another fund that is used to help out people in need.  Most of the staff is voluntary and have other jobs.But some of the staff such as youth and senior pastures get a salary and get paid by the higher ups-not really sure where that money comes from..  Starting pay is usually 19k a year and increases with time of service.  Have no problem with that since they are doing this full-time. 

What I have a problem with are some of the tv evangelists who live in multi-million dollar estates or flying private jets.  They are always asking for money.  I feel if I buy a book-there is one or two who have excellent books-I am supporting them with the money I spend on a book.  I should not be expected to give more money to them.

4. prettynutjob30 profile image91
    prettynutjob30posted 2 years ago

Depends on the preacher, I have been to several different churches, and you can always tell when the preacher is just doing it for the money. When the offering plate goes around four or five times during one service, I think that is far too much. God tells us to give our 10%, which I do, but I usually offer it to someone who needs it.

1. LoisRyan13903 profile image80
      LoisRyan13903posted 2 years agoin reply to this

One time I gave $5,00 to a deaf man in a parking lot at a Wal-Mart.  I had some scratch off tickets and later won $250 on it.  God blessed me 10 times over and more.

working