jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Does free will exist?

1. choneycutt profile image79
    choneycuttposted 2 years ago

Does free will exist?

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

That's the same as asking if (choice) exists.
    You have a choice to get up or stay in bed, eat or not eat, and so on. Of course free will exists. However it should also be noted:
    “While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions” – Stephen R. Covey

3. Nateerrr profile image74
    Nateerrrposted 2 years ago

That's a nigh impossible question to answer. There is a theory which suggests that a perfect understanding of a person's brain and all its neuronal connections--a schematic of the brain's circuitry, if you will--coupled with perfect knowledge of all inputs being fed to the brain would allow one to perfectly predict that person's action in the given situation. This is the same as understanding a program's code and all inputs into the program and being able to predict the outputs (which is possible). In this sense, the brain (which gives rise to the mind) is being viewed as a marvelously complex computer, and is therefore of a predetermined nature (and thus lacking of free will) based upon its configuration. Of course, the brain is much more plastic than a computer, and has the ability to (somewhat) alter itself as time passes, and it is indeed marvelously complex, therefore we have no way at this time to put this theory to any real test.

Of course, there are other theories, many of a spiritual nature, which suggest that something special (like the presence of a soul) is going on and that this other thing gives rise to something beyond the mechanical workings of the brain, and gives us free will. This is even more difficult (impossible even) to test, which (at this time) brings this debate down to a matter of personal belief.

4. LoliHey profile image57
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

I think it does.  You have the ability to choose, after all.  God knows what you are going to choose, but He does not make you choose it.

5. akshay199325 profile image76
    akshay199325posted 2 years ago

I think the destiny is fixed but you build your ways to reach that destiny.

6. Evane profile image53
    Evaneposted 2 years ago

Of course. Writing this question is even your free will.

7. profile image57
    Norine Williamsposted 2 years ago

Luke 22:42 "...not my will, but thine be done!"  Guess who said this?  Well, if He (Jesus) said it, shouldn't we being saying it?  Does it appear that we (believers in the Gospel of Christ) have "free will?"

However, if not "IN" Christ, everyone has "free will!" 

Scripture says in Joshua 24:15 "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD!"

working