Do you believe in fate (destiny) or free will?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. luvtoowrite profile image42
    luvtoowriteposted 4 years ago

Do you believe in fate (destiny) or free will?

2. merej99 profile image83
    merej99posted 4 years ago

YES.

I believe that we were blessed with free will to screw up or walk the right path that we were intended to be on.  There have been many times when I've thought, "I didn't sign up for this life!"  The very truth is - I DID.  It was hard to swallow at first but I own all of my decisions.

It sounds a little strange but I believe that I have a certain path/fate/destiny - the end result being death, of course - but the path leading to my ultimate end...did I make the way easier for someone else? Will I be remembered? Will knowing me and through me my decisions (free will) affect others? 

Quick true story: I had ONE date in high school with Pat. He wasn't a "bad boy" but I loved that he made me laugh. At the time I couldn't see dating him. He wasn't the image of a perfect mate in my head. That was the end...until 20 years later (after a divorce and 3 kids) when we met up again and married...and he still makes me laugh.  Destiny?  I think so!  Free will? Gave destiny a run for the money but eventually righted itself and put me exactly where I need to be.

luvtoowriteposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that was your destiny to meet up again with Pat later in life. If you had continued to date him early on, it might not have worked out. Either way, he sounds like the perfect, life time partner.

3. Sri T profile image76
    Sri Tposted 4 years ago

I would say fate. It's like the cows grazing on a large farm. They think they are free because the fence is a mile away. Whatever happens in this life appears to be a new experience but in reality, it has already happened on some level of spirit. The body is just carrying out the program.

It is difficult to understand what is occurring in a cow's thinking process. Maybe they are content with grazing in the field and have no desire to leave?

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 4 years ago

It's a combination of both. For instance none of (us) had a say as to whether our mothers would carry us to term when they learned they were pregnant or if we'd been born healthy. Therefore our very existence is fate/destiny from our point of view.
    Sometimes destiny and free will work hand in hand. One may choose to marry a mate but that marriage ends in divorce. They decide to go on a vacation where they meet someone amazing and eventually get married to the love of their life. It's a case of "everything happens for the best" in the end. Had this person not gone through their divorce they probably would not have taken a vacation at that particular time and therefore probably would not have met their eventual "soul-mate".
    This type of thing happens quite frequently in the human experience. We choose a route and something knocks us off the path and we re-adjust which takes us on a different path which often leads us to doing something we never "planned" or even if we ultimately get what we wanted it was not in a linear straight line. We look back and say; "If this had not happened I never would have done that which led me to doing blah blah blah which brought me here." Since we can't re-write our history all we can do is speculate on how things might have been different (if ) we'd turned right instead of left or departed the house five minutes later, chose a different college to attend.
    Our lives for the most part are the end result of the choices and decisions we've made along the way. What caused us to make those decisions is often our (reacting) to what appears in our path. Maybe the "hiccups" in life or the cards we're dealt are destiny and how we "react" is free will. I'm not sure how one could fully separate the two.
    “While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions” – Stephen R. Covey

As usual Dashingscorpio, you are spot on. I appreciate your input.

5. lone77star profile image83
    lone77starposted 4 years ago

Free will.

There is a certain degree of destiny, because of inertia, karma and the like. The Earth will still continue to spin; the sun will rise. These are predetermined by physical law.

But within physical law, we have the ability to move about. Even within the hidden tyranny of our current governments and the illusion of freedom amongst the controlled elections, we have real freedom to decide to react or to decide to observe the evil and do the right thing.

God knows the future to the degree that each individual will continue along the lines they have determined for themselves. But anyone, even the most evil, can decide to change. That freedom remains and it's only a matter of a decision.

Great insight! You basically have the view, we have an option to change our destiny and that karma, spirituality and science are contributing factors.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)